Texas Fishing Forum

Hammering Nails Creek Crappie

Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Hammering Nails Creek Crappie - 10/10/16 03:49 AM

Not just the crappie but bass and catfish too! This good kayak fishing should last all winter! Nails Creek & the Yegua is a kayakers paradise. At the Nails Creek Unit of Lake Somerville State Park only the boat ramp is open, the rest of the park & trailway remain closed. No news about when the rest of the state park will reopen as they are still assessing the flood damage. I'll have the video up in the morning..

Re: Hammering Nails Creek Crappie - 10/10/16 01:53 PM

Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Hammering Nails Creek Crappie - 10/10/16 10:27 PM

Great bunch of catfish, crappie and bass you caught.

Great video, as always. They just keep getting better.
Posted By: pearow

Re: Hammering Nails Creek Crappie - 10/10/16 10:40 PM

nice-p-
Posted By: Dr. Erk

Re: Hammering Nails Creek Crappie - 10/10/16 11:56 PM

I wish I could get back to college station and fish with ya. Did my graduate degree at ATM but didn't make much time to fish and had no kayak at the time. Now I'm in San Antonio and can't manage to find a crappie bite.

PS love the videos. I've been a long time subscriber of yours, even before I figured out who you were in this site lol

Re: Hammering Nails Creek Crappie - 10/12/16 05:00 PM

A little closer is Yegua Creek Park which just reopened last week.

Re: Hammering Nails Creek Crappie - 10/14/16 08:30 PM

J-Moe and I are kayaking up into Nails Creek again Saturday (15th) morning early. Be there at daybreak if you want to tag along and catch a bunch of "big O crappie" bass and catfish.. This ain't necessarily a fly fishing trip but more of a catching fish kind of deal. Jigs work best on crappie and most any bass tackle will work on the bass and catfish. If you want fish for dinner this is a good time to make that happen.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Hammering Nails Creek Crappie - 10/14/16 11:03 PM

Enjoyed the video! Thanks for sharing. thumb
Posted By: doctorliver

Re: Hammering Nails Creek Crappie - 10/15/16 03:29 AM

I may be running into you all tomorrow morning with a buddy of mine.

Re: Hammering Nails Creek Crappie - 10/15/16 11:37 PM

Tom.. I'll bet you guys went up the Yegua didn't ya! wink how did you do?

Re: Hammering Nails Creek Crappie - 10/16/16 12:42 AM

Yes sir! My buddy insisted, and I obliged. Bass were on fire again, and the crappie turned on mid morning. The fishing was Hot, and the weather was equally as hot. I did see you packing up and leaving as we were arriving to the boat ramp. Hope you faired well on Nails. I'll put up some pics here shortly.

Re: Hammering Nails Creek Crappie - 10/16/16 12:47 PM

Re: Hammering Nails Creek Crappie - 10/16/16 01:49 PM

Looks like you faired equally as well. Nice work on the videos you make. I'm sure we will run into each other again out on the lake.

Re: Hammering Nails Creek Crappie - 10/20/16 03:51 PM

Open Invite!
I’m planning another kayaking adventure up Nails creek for crappie and bass this Saturday Oct 22nd to depart from the Nails Creek Park boat ramp just before daylight and return around 2:00pm. (I need to be back in Bryan by 4pm) This is a short paddle across open shallow water to access the creek. Once in the creek it is smooth protected water all the way to the trailway bridge. And for those that want a little more of everything you can paddle on up to the Yegua!

Directions from Bryan to Nails Creek Park https://goo.gl/maps/9s6KdskDuXC2

As word gets out this creek could become pretty crowded so it is important to be there early especially on the weekend.
Posted By: stinkbob

Re: Hammering Nails Creek Crappie - 10/21/16 01:55 PM

Will attempt to go. First fishing trip to somerville of the season and I can't wait!
Posted By: Dr. Erk

Re: Hammering Nails Creek Crappie - 10/21/16 03:45 PM

Good luck out there! I'm sure it will be a blast!

Re: Hammering Nails Creek Crappie - 10/23/16 01:40 PM

A fine October day to be fishing

Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Hammering Nails Creek Crappie - 10/23/16 02:42 PM

One word on this video footage, INCREDIBLE bow_down

Re: Hammering Nails Creek Crappie - 10/23/16 10:00 PM

Great video! Took a trip on Nails today. Couldn't make it out Saturday since my daughter was at home visiting. Couldn't convince her to head out with me in the morning.
Posted By: johnnykayak

Re: Hammering Nails Creek Crappie - 10/27/16 01:25 AM

Mr. Tedrick,

Thank you for taking us along on all of your kayak trips through the various creeks at Lake Somerville. All of your videos provide great info that helps introduce newcomers like myself to the lake.
I recently took my first trip to nails creek in search of my first crappie catch. Also did my first personal fish fry and enjoyed the whole process from catch to dinner.
I look forward to meeting you out on the water someday Mr. Tedrick.

Re: Hammering Nails Creek Crappie - 10/27/16 09:23 PM

Johnnyyak,
I am happy to help! And you might just see me on the water very soon!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum