Texas Fishing Forum

July fry in September

Posted By: doctorliver

July fry in September - 09/19/16 12:15 AM

It seems that Lake Somerville is just about to normal level. Before they close off the flow, I decided to hit the yegua on more time this weekend to see what was biting. Arrived right at sunglight and loaded up the yak. First stop was the railroad bridge. Shad were running like crazy and bass were chasing. I threw out my grub worm and "BAM" first cast, first bass. It was one right after the other. Every one of them were small little bass, but they kept the action going. After the bite settled, I paddled up to the fork in the creek looking for bigger and better fish. The bite was slow, but a nice little catfish decided he was hungry and hit my crappie jig. Ran into one other paddler there that morning. Around 10 am, the heat was starting to settle in and by 11am the bite stopped except for small 6 inch crappie that was holding along the shaded bank. They had the right idea, so I packed up, headed to the hwy bridge and called it a day. Gorgeous and sunny and always a nice way to start my Saturday. Looking forward to cooler weather!!!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: July fry in September - 09/19/16 12:39 AM

I have been catching plenty of very small juvenile fish this month as well!(A lot more than normal). Just my two cents I think the past flooding and strong currents played a major factor in the spawning in certain areas. Again just my opinion. 2cents

Side Note: That is one AWESOME picture. thumb
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: July fry in September - 09/19/16 12:49 PM

Good report! Sounds like a good day for sure.

Re: July fry in September - 09/19/16 03:50 PM

This summer has been plagues with small bass. I've just hadn't had any luck finding the good size fish, but I'm hoping October and November will change the game a bit.
Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Re: July fry in September - 09/19/16 08:42 PM

The cooler weather will certainly change things up but the huge number of little bass are a good indicator for the future.

It was about this time last year that we were able to access the creek after the 2015 flood. All you guys will want to kayak & fish the upper Yegua as it should be full of black bass, crappie & catfish now and whitebass come late December thru March. Launch from the Nails Creek Park boat ramp or Newmans Bottom once they open back up ( no ETA yet on the state park opening )

Re: July fry in September - 09/21/16 02:42 AM

Thank you. Last season I launched my Yak from Nails. Easy paddle into the creek, but worried about the paddle back and fighting the south wind. Had one incident that was a bit frightening. Made it back safely to the boat ramp, but the paddle back was trecherous to say the least. Waiting for Nails to re-open. I'm not hopeful the Newmans will be open anytime soon.
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: July fry in September - 09/21/16 02:42 PM

Great report, did you catch some spotted bass as well?

I'm not sure they will open up Nails anytime soon either. I'm scratching my head and searching google maps to figure out an easy way to get into the lower end of the Yegua.

Re: July fry in September - 09/22/16 03:44 AM

I heard rumors that possibly October the park will open. If so, I'll have to follow the same pattern as last year and launch from the boat ramp. Not my pick, but may be the only option. No spotted bass, to answer your question. To many small LMB and whites with small crappie holding at the bank by the shade.
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: July fry in September - 09/22/16 05:39 PM

The bluegill are biting really well on the lake and in the creeks on the upper end of the lake.

Re: July fry in September - 09/22/16 06:25 PM

Awesome. Thanks jmoe. Im actually out fishing elephante butte lake for white bass. Grew up here ill post pics when i return. Seen some monster blue gill on the shore and docks here and the white bass fishing was incredible yesterday
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum