Texas Fishing Forum

Looking to buy a 360 light for my kayak

Posted By: HAWK84

Looking to buy a 360 light for my kayak - 09/03/16 05:44 PM

Looking to buy a 360 light for my kayak I heard somebody in this forum was making them not sure how to contact them yet
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Looking to buy a 360 light for my kayak - 09/03/16 08:03 PM

Lots of do-it-yourself examples on YouTube.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Looking to buy a 360 light for my kayak - 09/04/16 03:50 AM

Several models of the Visipole from Mariner Sails.
Posted By: redshad

Re: Looking to buy a 360 light for my kayak - 09/05/16 11:28 AM

check out tektite.com, i purchased this and made my own flag pole from pvc. Works awesome
Posted By: Neumie

Re: Looking to buy a 360 light for my kayak - 09/05/16 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: redshad
check out tektite.com, i purchased this and made my own flag pole from pvc. Works awesome

I've used the Tek Tite light for over a decade now on my own poles. It's the same light used in the Yak Attack Visicarbon lights.
Posted By: cerda12

Re: Looking to buy a 360 light for my kayak - 09/05/16 08:47 PM

I love diy stuff but are diy 360 lights legal? I thought they had to be USGC approved. I'm new to the kayaking world so I just wanted to be sure.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Looking to buy a 360 light for my kayak - 09/05/16 09:16 PM

I've seen nothing about lights being Coast Guard approved, but PFDs must be.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/safety/vessel_requirements/

There seems to be conflicting language about red/green nav lights. The following quotes are all from the same page shown in the link.

"All vessels including motorboats, sailboats, canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, rubber rafts, or other vessels when not at dock must have and exhibit at least one bright light, lantern or flashlight visible all around the horizon from sunset to sunrise in all weather and during restricted visibility."

One white light required.

"All other manually driven vessels may exhibit sidelights and a sternlight, or shall exhibit at least one bright light, lantern, or flashlight from sunset to sunrise when not at dock."

Red/green nav lights optional.

"Regulations state that canoes, kayaks, and all other manually driven vessels shall exhibit sidelights and a sternlight, and shall exhibit at least one bright light, lantern, or flashlight from sunset to sunrise when not at dock."

Red/green nav lights required.

Re: Looking to buy a 360 light for my kayak - 09/06/16 02:58 PM

Well that's confusing.
Posted By: Searsay

Re: Looking to buy a 360 light for my kayak - 09/06/16 05:48 PM

Cerda12 -
so while not an expert - i dug into this a while back for my own benefit when rigging out my porteboat (12'6" row/jon boat)-

so for TWPD - as others have stated (and inline with USCG regs)
1) Any craft no matter what size operating from dawn to dusk MUST display 360 light
2) Any boat 14ft or larger must display running lights (some of the confusion is that kayaks and other small craft like canoes usually have an exemption). Boats shorter than 14ft and any craft can optionally display running lights.

For USCG "approved" lights - for small watercraft this is somewhat of a marketing gimmick (but not entirely).

USCG has a series of technical standards for lights that are enforced (especially for commercial craft). This include angles of visibility, distance of visibility, and so on. If you sell a light you can pay to have them "certify" that it meets these technical standards - which will let you sell and market it as USCG approved.

All that said - there is no requirement for you to use a USGC approved light - as long as you meet or exceed their requirements you can source your light from where-ever you would like.

That said if you make your own - make sure your lights are waterproof and can take some abuse... if it goes out or stops working on you while your on the water you can still be fined (though i'd imagine most wardens would give some leniency for "technical issues") - and it would be very dangerous as well.
Posted By: AdanV

Re: Looking to buy a 360 light for my kayak - 09/06/16 06:07 PM

After one of the cats knocked over and broke my last 360 light ($40 down the drain), I rigged up a simple setup with this glow-stick type light and a 1/4" Diameter wooden dowel. It's attached together with 3 zip-ties.

Total cost was about $6.00 (including gas to get to Academy & Home Depot)

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/dorcy-led-glow-stick-flashlight#repChildCatid=637764

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-x-48-in-Wood-Round-Dowel-HDDH1448/203360194

I just placed it in one of my rod holders and it worked fine.

Re: Looking to buy a 360 light for my kayak - 09/07/16 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Searsay
Cerda12 -
so while not an expert - i dug into this a while back for my own benefit when rigging out my porteboat (12'6" row/jon boat)-

so for TWPD - as others have stated (and inline with USCG regs)
1) Any craft no matter what size operating from dawn to dusk MUST display 360 light
2) Any boat 14ft or larger must display running lights (some of the confusion is that kayaks and other small craft like canoes usually have an exemption). Boats shorter than 14ft and any craft can optionally display running lights.

For USCG "approved" lights - for small watercraft this is somewhat of a marketing gimmick (but not entirely).

USCG has a series of technical standards for lights that are enforced (especially for commercial craft). This include angles of visibility, distance of visibility, and so on. If you sell a light you can pay to have them "certify" that it meets these technical standards - which will let you sell and market it as USCG approved.

All that said - there is no requirement for you to use a USGC approved light - as long as you meet or exceed their requirements you can source your light from where-ever you would like.

That said if you make your own - make sure your lights are waterproof and can take some abuse... if it goes out or stops working on you while your on the water you can still be fined (though i'd imagine most wardens would give some leniency for "technical issues") - and it would be very dangerous as well.

Good to know. So, what are all the technical standards? 2 nautical miles, certain height above water?
Posted By: Todd™

Re: Looking to buy a 360 light for my kayak - 09/07/16 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Tallgrass05
I've seen nothing about lights being Coast Guard approved, but PFDs must be.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/safety/vessel_requirements/

There seems to be conflicting language about red/green nav lights. The following quotes are all from the same page shown in the link.

"All vessels including motorboats, sailboats, canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, rubber rafts, or other vessels when not at dock must have and exhibit at least one bright light, lantern or flashlight visible all around the horizon from sunset to sunrise in all weather and during restricted visibility."

One white light required.

"All other manually driven vessels may exhibit sidelights and a sternlight, or shall exhibit at least one bright light, lantern, or flashlight from sunset to sunrise when not at dock."

Red/green nav lights optional.

"Regulations state that canoes, kayaks, and all other manually driven vessels shall exhibit sidelights and a sternlight, and shall exhibit at least one bright light, lantern, or flashlight from sunset to sunrise when not at dock."

Red/green nav lights required.

Last year the Mariners Sails kayak fishing club had a warden as a guest speaker. This question was asked and he said kayaks only need a 360 light that must be able to be seen 2 miles away. Which means it should be bright and high enough. Visicarbons are usually around 3 feet high. He actually stress "NO" running (red/green) lights should be used.
Posted By: Searsay

Re: Looking to buy a 360 light for my kayak - 09/07/16 03:42 PM

yea - i wouldn't put running lights on a kayak (unless you had motorized it)- as stated my research i was digging in for my portabote (which has a lot of overlap w/ a kayak due to size... but does have an outboard).
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum