Texas Fishing Forum

Kayak fishing newbie

Posted By: TDH

Kayak fishing newbie - 08/15/16 10:43 PM

I'm sure this has been covered on here ad nauseum in older posts, but I went back as far as the site would let me and didn't see any. I just got my first fishing kayak a couple of weeks ago. I am excited to be back fishing again. I am wondering where the best places to go in the DFW area are (I live in Coppell). I went to Grapevine last week for a first spin, and did OK. But I don't like the idea of getting on a big lake like that or Lewisville (too many drunks on ski boats and jet skis). I would be fine with the bigger lakes if I knew of secluded coves to launch near. The wife and I went to a party at the Gaylord last weekend and the cove by it looked promising, but it looks like the ramp at that marina right there is for members only.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Kayak fishing newbie - 08/16/16 04:15 PM

Welcome to the club!

Check out the bank fishing section it has a stickey at the top of lots of smaller waters. Some you can kayak some not, you just have to kind of check them out.

As far as big lakes, I stay off them in the summer. Its just too dangerous like you said. I will be back on Lville once all the ski boats go home.

Its sad but the fact is, going on Lville in a yak this time of year on a weekend is taking a serious risk. Might be ok mid week.
Posted By: Todd™

Re: Kayak fishing newbie - 08/16/16 04:53 PM

welcome You use to be able to launch at Silver Lake marina ramp but parking is up the hill. Not sure if that has changed. Twin coves on Grapevine and stay in the trees maybe a good place. In your area some decent small water bodies to learn on are McInnish sports complex off of Sandy Lake rd. The small lake under the Bush at Luna and Beltline plus most of the flood control lakes in that area. Carrollton lets you use kayaks on most of their lakes in the parks. As for the big lakes, if it is nice place to play in the water they will be there. Go back in the sticks and it usually is traffic free.
Posted By: zimmer0

Re: Kayak fishing newbie - 08/16/16 05:10 PM

subscribed for spots. Not new to kayak fishing but new to the area.
Not far from you OP, in Lewisville.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Kayak fishing newbie - 08/16/16 06:04 PM

Honestly the best way to find spots is to join the DFW Kayak Fishing facebook page and ask people to take you fishing. They'll show you plenty of put in spots and build your confidence.

Re: Kayak fishing newbie - 08/16/16 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: zimmer0

You signed up to get spots?
Posted By: zimmer0

Re: Kayak fishing newbie - 08/16/16 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan90210

to this thread for general locations and put in spots...yes

Re: Kayak fishing newbie - 08/16/16 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan90210

to this thread for general locations and put in spots...yes

Cool.

Like I said check out that bank fishing map in the bank fishing section.

Many of those you can use a yak at as well.

White Rock Lake is tough for fishing but you cant beat the scenery on a Sunday morning. The Trinity is good in Ft. Worth. Parts of the big lakes are good but I prefer to wait till fall to go back to the bigger lakes.
Posted By: txbassnewbie

Re: Kayak fishing newbie - 08/16/16 09:49 PM

i live in flower mound if you want to buddy up to hit pond or lake let me know.I am free most weekends
Posted By: Mike87angler

Re: Kayak fishing newbie - 08/17/16 02:46 AM

I started kayak fishing about a year ago and love it. I like to go to the trinity river and Joe pool. Have caught some big fish at Joe pool lately
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Kayak fishing newbie - 08/17/16 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd™
welcome You use to be able to launch at Silver Lake marina ramp but parking is up the hill. Not sure if that has changed. Twin coves on Grapevine and stay in the trees maybe a good place. In your area some decent small water bodies to learn on are McInnish sports complex off of Sandy Lake rd. The small lake under the Bush at Luna and Beltline plus most of the flood control lakes in that area. Carrollton lets you use kayaks on most of their lakes in the parks. As for the big lakes, if it is nice place to play in the water they will be there. Go back in the sticks and it usually is traffic free.

McInnish is a great spot to go and not deal with any boaters. Another area I like is the East Fork of the Trinity where it flows under highway 380 to Lewisville. I believe that actual launch is closed, but you can go further North to 428 and launch. LOTS of bass, cats, crappie all through there.

Being new to kayaking, I just have to put this out there. Wear your life jacket and kayak with a buddy if possible. Once you feel you have gotten comfortable with the kayak, you can lose the buddy, but keep the life jacket on. Lost too many plastic navy sailors that didn't wear life jackets.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Kayak fishing newbie - 08/17/16 05:58 PM

I primarily fish the north shoreline of Grapevine. I have never had trouble with boaters or felt in danger, but I am always off the water by 11:00 AM (before the alcohol starts kicking in with the yahoos in powerboats or on jet skis.)
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Kayak fishing newbie - 08/17/16 11:38 PM

Lewisville is a great lake to yak and fish. We are there most weekends. I always avoid the old dam area. I stick to the northern fingers of the lake. Dfw kayak fishing is a great bunch of people.
Posted By: TDH

Re: Kayak fishing newbie - 08/18/16 12:15 AM

The pond at McInnish or the Trinity?
Posted By: Mkirby

Re: Kayak fishing newbie - 08/18/16 02:13 AM

I have looked at the pond at McCinnish (I know I butchered that) park for a while now. it looks like an AWESOME place for a HAWG to live in. have you caught Bass there? I bank fished it once with no luck but really wished I had my yak with me the entire time I was bank fishing.. curious minds want to know
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum