Will braid tear up my $130. rod?

Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Will braid tear up my $130. rod? - 07/31/16 03:08 PM

Posted By: Cast

Re: Will braid tear up my $130. rod? - 07/31/16 03:49 PM

Nope. Braid won't cut my Fuji guides.
Posted By: kickingback

Re: Will braid tear up my $130. rod? - 07/31/16 06:01 PM

You need a lot of friction and heat on the line and contact point to do any kind of damage. Yes it will damage if your rod is bent over and the fish is pulling the line out on a tight drag and you had plastic guides you could possibly get some damage but highly unlikely that a fish will run that fast and that you have that much line on the spool to get hot enough for the line to actually cut into any guide unless it is full metal or ceramic.
Posted By: JDJ01

Re: Will braid tear up my $130. rod? - 07/31/16 07:49 PM

Short answer ... No
Posted By: pelican

Re: Will braid tear up my $130. rod? - 08/01/16 02:34 AM

Nope!
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Will braid tear up my $130. rod? - 08/01/16 04:52 PM

$130 rod? Not likely, at all.

And, no, to the idea of a hard pulling fish creating more force on the guides.

When a large bass gets on line and bends or flexes your rod, it alters the resistance on the guides by spreading it out. It isn't at all like, say, a rope anchored over the edge of an unmovable cliff dangling down with a load on it. That would create an obvious stress point where a break would occur where the rope and the unmovable edge meet. With your rod, as it flexes, its lifting lever actually shortens and the tip points down so the braid is no longer at the more or less 90 degrees bend as it would be if you just took the line up taut without a fish on board.

Anyway, drop a 20 lbs. plate on the floor, hook up, pull like a fish is on and you will see that the braid is pressing down on a whole lot more rod "real estate" than any one guide and certainly the tip of the rod which is almost entirely not involved at that point. It might not even be touching the bottom of that terminal guide at all.

Hope this helps!

Hey! if you are concerned about that braid noise, several brands are slick and don't make that sound. Sufix 832 is quiet, for example.

Brad
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Will braid tear up my $130. rod? - 08/01/16 08:23 PM

I have never had a problem and most of my rods are in that price range and I use braid often...

No need to worry friend.
Posted By: fishinpreacher

Re: Will braid tear up my $130. rod? - 08/03/16 01:10 PM

Never had that problem even on my cheaper rods. I actually have braid on my ultra light.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Will braid tear up my $130. rod? - 08/06/16 08:38 PM

Im no expert let that be known. I have usex braid on some of my saltwater rigs. I had a rod with stainless guides and the tip did get groved. Aluminum oxcide guides are what you need if using braid. The sucky part is some knots to topshot will ocationally knock them out...cant win for loosing with braid. Lol
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum