Texas Fishing Forum

Test Kayaks

Posted By: broncos1

Test Kayaks - 07/20/16 11:30 AM

me and a buddy are looking at kayaks, after reading A LOT of blogs , threads, reports. We are trying to find someone that would be willing for us to try some out. There was a guy on here awhile back that was willing to take a couple guys out to try kayak fishing. I know Backwoods will let you try out theirs, but those kayaks are way out of our price range. Is there anyone willing to meet up with us and show us the ropes.
Posted By: kickingback

Re: Test Kayaks - 07/20/16 12:56 PM

Fishing Tackle Unlimited will rent kayaks for $65 a day +$25 cleaning deposit in case you bring it back dirty. If you rent on a Friday you get to use them all weekend for the $65.
Just talked to two guys last Friday at Fatboy's ramp that rented two yaks for the weekend. Gave me all the details. They got theirs from the FTU on 45.

Good luck.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Test Kayaks - 07/20/16 01:33 PM

What's your budget? That kind of depends on how you go about getting a demo on a kayak.
Posted By: broncos1

Re: Test Kayaks - 07/20/16 03:49 PM

300 to 400 max
Posted By: AdanV

Re: Test Kayaks - 07/20/16 04:33 PM

$400 is good to get one off of Craigslist.

However, If you haven't kayaked fished before, I suggest renting one first.
It looks like you're on the right path. I've seen quite a few folks jump off the deep end and buy a top of the line kayak, only to turn around and put it up on craigslist less than a year later (all because they realized that kayak fishing wasn't for them).

I dont live in the DFW area, but I know there's at least 2 places out there that rent out kayaks.
Just rent one that'll fit your requirements (weight of you AND your gear, plus the height) for the weekend and see if its something you'll enjoy.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum