Texas Fishing Forum

Securing a kayak on top of a vehicle.

Posted By: bigbass87

Securing a kayak on top of a vehicle. - 06/23/16 12:53 AM

I am taking my kayak down to the coast this week. I will not be able to take my truck, so I will have to secure it to the top of my dad's expedition. I was just looking for some different ideas/suggestions. I'm a little nervous about such a long trip. I was thinking about tight bungee chords on the front and back, with a couple of ratchets through the middle ran inside the car. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Securing a kayak on top of a vehicle. - 06/23/16 01:48 AM

Underhood tiedowns and rope on the front, don't trust bungees.

Re: Securing a kayak on top of a vehicle. - 06/23/16 01:52 AM

Ok will do. Thanks.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Securing a kayak on top of a vehicle. - 06/23/16 03:10 AM

Stern tiedown, too.
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: Securing a kayak on top of a vehicle. - 06/23/16 01:20 PM

When I cartop(truck campertop, really) my 12-footer, upside down, I run the ratchet straps over the top, and into the far scupper, up through the other scupper hole, then to the other side of the vehicle. That way, the yak is "captured" by the straps, and can't slide anywhere. How you attach the ends is dependent upon your vehicle. I've never had a problem, except losing a foot pedal once.

Island Jim
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Securing a kayak on top of a vehicle. - 06/23/16 01:24 PM

What TG said. Don't take a chance with causing a catastrophe on the highway. Tie down the bow and stern, and at least one(preferably two) around the middle holding the kayak down onto the car. Since you're doing a long haul it may be beneficial to load it upside down to prevent up-force at high speeds. Check your straps often too. The heat will cause your kayak to get soft so take care not to ratchet the straps too tight.
Posted By: TxFisher96

Re: Securing a kayak on top of a vehicle. - 06/23/16 09:52 PM

20-30 dollar carrier from academy, use extra tie downs for a longer trip

Re: Securing a kayak on top of a vehicle. - 06/23/16 10:08 PM

Ok thanks guys.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum