Texas Fishing Forum

Why is...

Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Why is... - 06/06/16 11:36 AM

Why is catfish concidered seafood?
Posted By: bert

Re: Why is... - 06/06/16 12:13 PM

Most menus list it as seafood as they do with Tilapia, not sure why they have been doing that for years.
Posted By: Crazy4oldcars

Re: Why is... - 06/06/16 08:05 PM

Marketing, man, marketing! They convinced us that a Yugo was a car, too!

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say it was laziness. They didn't want to have to make another section on the menu.

Kirk B.
Posted By: weklfrog

Re: Why is... - 06/06/16 08:52 PM

Also including trout, fresh water mussels, and crayfish. In the UK, seafood is used more literally but everyone there is fairly close to the ocean. North America spans a whole continent much of which is not close to the ocean, so the term is used more broadly.

From Wikipedia --
Seafood is any form of sea life regarded as food by humans. Seafood prominently includes fish and shellfish. Shellfish include various species of molluscs, crustaceans, and echinoderms. Historically, sea mammals such as whales and dolphins have been consumed as food, though that happens to a lesser extent in modern times. Edible sea plants, such as some seaweeds and microalgae, are widely eaten as seafood around the world, especially in Asia (see the category of sea vegetables). In North America, although not generally in the United Kingdom, the term "seafood" is extended to fresh water organisms eaten by humans, so all edible aquatic life may be referred to as seafood. For the sake of completeness, this article includes all edible aquatic life.
Posted By: xmatador

Re: Why is... - 06/07/16 03:50 PM

There are saltwater catfish like hardheads and gafftops so technically, there are catfish that are seafood wink
Posted By: DblNoob

Re: Why is... - 06/08/16 02:07 AM

Ok, out of curiosity..... what should it be called?
Posted By: TxFisher96

Re: Why is... - 06/08/16 05:46 AM

How appetizing does Lakefood or Pondfood sound?
Posted By: Brady S

Re: Why is... - 06/08/16 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: DblNoob
Ok, out of curiosity..... what should it be called?

Fish
Posted By: bert

Re: Why is... - 06/08/16 01:36 PM

I would go with 'aquatic cuisine' to cover shellfish and muscles as well as any other food we consume from oceans rivers and lakes.
Posted By: weklfrog

Re: Why is... - 06/08/16 09:39 PM

Just call it seafood. That is the common vernacular in this country and people know what you are talking about -- fish, crustaceans, mollusks.
Posted By: BayouFennec

Re: Why is... - 06/09/16 02:00 PM

not sure why it's called seafood, but now i'm hungry
Posted By: Bluecatkayak

Re: Why is... - 06/09/16 04:12 PM

I SEEfood
Posted By: kickingback

Re: Why is... - 06/10/16 03:01 PM

" In North America the term "seafood" is extended to fresh water organisms eaten by humans, so all edible aquatic life may be referred to as seafood."

Wiki... Seafood on Wiki
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum