Texas Fishing Forum

Seeking advice

Posted By: SMUMUSTANGS

Seeking advice - 05/04/16 01:21 PM

I have two kayaks I'm looking at cobra fish n dive 12ft for $500 and a feel free lure 11.5 for $800. Which one is the best deal? (Obviously cheaper is better) but still I would like to know yalls opinion
Posted By: Bass N Beer

Re: Seeking advice - 05/04/16 01:38 PM

I bought (2) Feel Free Lure 11.5 and we like them. Came standard with some good features.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Seeking advice - 05/04/16 01:42 PM

I would go with the feel free if those are your only 2 options. But also take a look at the Vibe Sea Ghost 130. A lot of kayak for just a little bit more.
Posted By: FrogBomber

Re: Seeking advice - 05/04/16 04:22 PM

I bought a Lure 11.5 in Feb. and so far it has been great.
Posted By: mikepaddle

Re: Seeking advice - 05/04/16 05:21 PM

Sure, the Cobra kayak is cheaper but don't make your decision based on price only. Generally the only good thing abut a cheap kayak is the low price. With very few exceptions . . . you truly get exactly what you pay for.

I just Googled "Cobra Kayaks" and there is not even a manufacturer's website listed. One dealer that came up was Target as well as several who knows where online stores. These folks generally take your money, ship, and then are not available if a problem occurs. If Cobras are not even carried by any reputable water sports stores in our state, that should give you a big clue as to which way to go. Cobras are good kayaks but you still need readily available service resources.

Buy smart and get a kayak (new or used) that has easily available resources for service and assistance.
Posted By: No-Snag

Re: Seeking advice - 05/04/16 05:33 PM

Cobra Kayaks are very stable but will not paddle as well as the Feelfree. Cobras are great boats for gulf fishing or fishing in big waves. If you are going to cover a lot of distance, go for the Feelfree. If stability is your main concern, opt for the Cobra.
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: Seeking advice - 05/04/16 06:18 PM

Back when I bought my coosa, I was just about to pull the trigger on the Feelfree, had a super deal come up and couldn't pass on the coosa. Otherwise I'd have the feelfree today.

Re: Seeking advice - 05/04/16 07:39 PM

Thanks for the info guys. The feel free was sold so I guess I'll be going with the cobra.
http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/top-10-fishing-kayaks-of-all-time
According to that link seems like cobra kayaks are very good they are just an old brand that's been around and not as popular any more. I'm on a budget so I can't be to picky with what I get.
At the end of the day I just want to fish.
Posted By: Bass N Beer

Re: Seeking advice - 05/04/16 08:05 PM

Go to Marinar Sales and look at what they have and demo some.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Seeking advice - 05/04/16 08:56 PM

The weight cap of the cobra fish and dive is huge if im not mistaken.

Re: Seeking advice - 05/04/16 09:20 PM

Correct Christian it's 600lbs!
Posted By: Bass Art

Re: Seeking advice - 05/07/16 10:29 AM

There is nothing wrong with a Fish n Dive. They are very good kayaks, and can work well in different venues. I've come across a couple of good deals on them, and was going to grab them but got beaten to the punch. If you are handy with tools and creative, you can easily adapt a good framed seat to it and that will increase you comfort level. The hulls are very stable and robust, and have lots of room for storage on the deck and great access to the inside of the hull.

Go grab it and put ALL of your tackle in it and fish!
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Seeking advice - 05/08/16 11:53 PM

Fishndive was a solid fishing yak for me. One of the most stable yaks ever made. Excellent in the surf and whitecaps.
Not the toughest to paddle but it has a lot of plastic that drags through the water. Its width requires a longer paddle (at least a 240). The fish n dive was great on open/big water but was terrible on the brazos and shallow creeks. U will find that its V shaped hull will drag the bottom when u get shallower than 12". It will not cruise like other yaks as wide as it is. You must continually paddle this yak to get to your destination on time.
My kids (up to 80lbs) could easily ride with me on this yak.

I have no experience with the lure sorry. Best of luck
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum