Texas Fishing Forum

Upgraded from an inflatable

Posted By: Clayak

Upgraded from an inflatable - 04/26/16 01:04 PM

So I upgraded from the intek explore 2 (which I hated for the most part) to the ocean kayak prowler 13.
Took her out Friday and Saturday. I have NEVER been so happy with an upgrade lol. Yesterday the waves were high at white rock so I decided to see how she handled as I plan on eventually taking it to Bolivar.
My question is.. If your supposed to keep your bow into the wave. How do you fish?
And has anyone ever had a Moccasin come up into the boat? Or been bit kayaking.
Posted By: Carver

Re: Upgraded from an inflatable - 04/26/16 02:05 PM

First congrats on a great upgrade. You got a nice yak.
Fishing in waves? Tie off or anchor, drift sock to slow the drift, etc.

Water snakes will come see what live bait is about and the smaller ones are often curious. I have had them crawl into my minnow bucket. Make sure you learn to identify water moccasins clearly. They are seen but quite seldom compared to the water snakes. Usually a paddle slap near one will send him on his way.

One way to get comfortable with the water snakes is let one get on board and jack with it for a while. They have a very different mannerism than water moccasins. Feeding water snake

If you are sure one is a moccasin, give it a clear berth and go somewhere else. They can be very territorial on warm spring days.

Re: Upgraded from an inflatable - 04/26/16 02:38 PM

Thanks for the compliment on the yak Phil.
Being 6'5 I wanted something at least double my size.
I saw a couple of cottonmouths Saturday morning. Got pretty creep'd out out. I paddled from the sailboat docks up the creek to a little past lawther road.that's where I saw the 2 big moccasins. Creek was pretty narrow there so I just turned around and called it a day. I had to get the kiddo ready for a friends b-day party.
I'm going back out Sunday after church. Still trying to decide if I want to try big water yet or stay on white rock a little more
Posted By: Carver

Re: Upgraded from an inflatable - 04/26/16 03:15 PM

Any time you see two moccasins ( that you are absolutely sure are moccasins ) together,,,, head the other way. They are very territorial and do not associate with others at all except during breeding season and that is when they are particularly aggressive. I grew up with them every day and have a lot of respect, but like all snakes, they much would rather you leave. You are way too big to swallow and make terrible smell if they strike at you.

I have been crappie fishing Hubbard and Lavon for almost 40 years and normally see only one true moccasin for every 100 brown banded and diamondback water snakes. I have gone may years fishing 3-4 days a week and never see one all year. I fish at night regularly and the lights may bring in 20 snakes in the first hour. All you see is the eyes coming toward you. This is when you think about standing in your yak for sure. I have never had a moccasin come aboard but I have been run off by one. Being in the dark alone changes everything.

The north side of hwy 66 ( the park and launch just west of Downtown Rockwall is protected from the south wind for 1 mile and holds pretty decent fishing. the further away you get from the bridge the bigger the waves get and you can adjust what you are doing as you get more comfortable.

Tight lines, Phill
Posted By: Todd™

Re: Upgraded from an inflatable - 04/26/16 04:23 PM

Congrats on the upgrade! Not many better feelings than going out in your new yak and knowing you made a good decision.

You should not have to keep you bow facing the waves but if they are too big to take from the side then I don't go out.

Every year I see hundreds of water snakes but I can count on 1 hand the number of moccasins. I've heard of people having encounters with aggressive snakes but they never have messed me and that's good for them. I'm not fearful of snakes and have skinned a few in my years.
Posted By: BKT

Re: Upgraded from an inflatable - 04/27/16 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Clayak
So I upgraded from the intek explore 2 (which I hated for the most part) to the ocean kayak prowler 13.
Took her out Friday and Saturday. I have NEVER been so happy with an upgrade lol. Yesterday the waves were high at white rock so I decided to see how she handled as I plan on eventually taking it to Bolivar.
My question is.. If your supposed to keep your bow into the wave. How do you fish?
And has anyone ever had a Moccasin come up into the boat? Or been bit kayaking.

Congrats on the new yak!! I never really concerned myself on which way the waves are coming from but just anchored up and started fishing. When are you thinking about coming down to Bolivar? Are you going BTB or are you going to stick to the bays?

Re: Upgraded from an inflatable - 04/27/16 12:28 PM

What's btb?
I'm hoping to be down there after labor day. Never Been a fan of tourists. Was thinking rollover pass would be a good place to start. Since I'm so new to it, I'm open to suggestions and tips
Posted By: mikepaddle

Re: Upgraded from an inflatable - 04/27/16 01:51 PM

Might I safely assume that you are NOT making this coastal trip alone?

If your plans are to go solo I would recommend that you archive Robert Field's solo trip posts from a year or so ago. If they are not available then PM Robert and make direct contact with him.
Posted By: BKT

Re: Upgraded from an inflatable - 04/27/16 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Clayak
What's btb?
I'm hoping to be down there after labor day. Never Been a fan of tourists. Was thinking rollover pass would be a good place to start. Since I'm so new to it, I'm open to suggestions and tips

Beyond the breakers and get hooked up with some bull reds and sharks. If you visit texaskayakfisherman, check out the btb section and there will be open invites when people are wanting to go. Also the "stickys" for gear and leaders are good reads. Hope to see ya down there.
Posted By: pearow

Re: Upgraded from an inflatable - 04/27/16 03:52 PM

I have 3 yaks and the prowler is my favorite. If you get a snake in your yak its usually on an overhanging limb which you've disturbed and they'l generally exit asap. If one is around your yak its generally just curious unless you're dragging a stringer of fish-p-
Posted By: Lost Oki

Re: Upgraded from an inflatable - 04/28/16 01:18 AM

Great upgrade, congrats. You should like the prowler. I have been fishing out of one for 10 years. They handle big waves very well head on, a little tips from the sides but have never had a problem and I have fished some rough fresh water.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum