Texas Fishing Forum

Gar sighting Lavon

Posted By: mjsliv

Gar sighting Lavon - 04/03/16 08:09 PM

Took a calculated risk with moderate SW winds forecasted. Launched from Brockdale at 8.30 in search of crappie. C&R one 13" sandy. As I drifted with the wind on the East side of the peninsula just north of Brockdale came across a lazy 15"ish juvenile gar sunning itself. Seemed odd behavior to me since I have no experience with this species. I was too close to present a bait, but I did stir the water around it with my rod tip and it bolted. At the same instant, a huge splash on the opposite side of my yak. Momma? Who knows. Zero crappie. Took a beating upwind on the way back, battling what seemed to be 20+ winds complete with whitecaps breaking over the bow.
Posted By: Tony from Oak Point

Re: Gar sighting Lavon - 04/04/16 05:03 AM

Not sure if it is now, but at some point the gar will be in spawning mode. They never seem to eager to hit baits at Lavon from my experience. That's cool you got up close to one. I've seen them get veracious at times though and attack artificial baits, light up bobbers, etc.
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: Gar sighting Lavon - 04/04/16 01:23 PM

I catch them while catfishing pretty often. When I used to bowfish it was around this time of year they were shallow.
Posted By: KQT

Re: Gar sighting Lavon - 04/04/16 02:47 PM

I was by the dam hoping the channel cat would be staging nearby..NOT... did manage two big sand bass trolling out. Surfed in with the wind!
Posted By: Texasian

Re: Gar sighting Lavon - 04/06/16 04:01 AM

Are there any fish in the tailrace when they're not releasing water?
Posted By: UrsusVeritas

Re: Gar sighting Lavon - 04/08/16 03:26 PM

I love when you roll up on a 3-4ft gar without noticing and startle them...
makes me jump out of my skin every time.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum