Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone Compared the Diablo Amigo to the Wilderness ATAK?

Posted By: ben_beyer

Anyone Compared the Diablo Amigo to the Wilderness ATAK? - 04/01/16 02:06 AM

I'm looking to buy a kayak. I've tried out the Wilderness Ride 135, 115, and the Diablo Amigo. I liked the Amigo the best and unfortunately I live too far away to make it to the demo days.

Has anyone paddled both a Diablo and a Wilderness ATAK?
Posted By: txninja

Re: Anyone Compared the Diablo Amigo to the Wilderness ATAK? - 04/01/16 04:47 AM

I have a Diablo Amigo if you want check it out, send me a message

Re: Anyone Compared the Diablo Amigo to the Wilderness ATAK? - 04/01/16 11:51 AM

Nice!

I actually rented one from ACK last weekend when I was visiting family. It's a pretty awesome kayak and I'm curious how it compares to the ATAK.
Posted By: C-Frog

Re: Anyone Compared the Diablo Amigo to the Wilderness ATAK? - 04/01/16 12:50 PM

I paddle the ATAK and I love it. I think these yaks are very different and hard to compare. They are literally like comparing apple to oranges but the ATAK is rudder capable and pre plumbed and I believe the Amigo and other Diablo yaks are not rudder capable. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Re: Anyone Compared the Diablo Amigo to the Wilderness ATAK? - 04/01/16 01:13 PM

They aren't but they have the Skeg to go on the back. It makes a big difference in terms of tracking but they also don't hide that fact.

The Amigo is a nice kayak for standing and fishing which is an important feature. The next closest thing to the Amigo is the ATAK but I haven't been able to try one out so I'm curious how they compare.
Posted By: txbassnewbie

Re: Anyone Compared the Diablo Amigo to the Wilderness ATAK? - 04/01/16 02:32 PM

go lift an atak they are pretty heavy and bulky

Re: Anyone Compared the Diablo Amigo to the Wilderness ATAK? - 04/01/16 07:33 PM

11 lbs. more than the Amigo which can be a beast too!
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Anyone Compared the Diablo Amigo to the Wilderness ATAK? - 04/01/16 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: C-Frog
I paddle the ATAK and I love it. I think these yaks are very different and hard to compare. They are literally like comparing apple to oranges but the ATAK is rudder capable and pre plumbed and I believe the Amigo and other Diablo yaks are not rudder capable. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

This. I think the kayaks are made for diffrent purposes. The attack is a big water yak, the diablo is more a flats boat almost like an sup. If i had to pick from those two for the fishing i do i wouldnt consider the diablo but i cover a lot of water. Im not knockin the diablo, its a sweet ride for what its made to do.

Re: Anyone Compared the Diablo Amigo to the Wilderness ATAK? - 04/02/16 03:12 AM

So the ATAK would be more for lakes and paddling for distances and the Diablo would be more rivers and coastal flats?
Posted By: YakFishField

Re: Anyone Compared the Diablo Amigo to the Wilderness ATAK? - 04/02/16 07:39 PM

The ATAK is probably going to be the next addition to my fleet. Diablo makes killer yaks, although a bit more specialized in my opinion. I do all different kinds of fishing from creeks to offshore, so for me my priority is always flexibility.

Both are very stable platforms. The Diablo is going to be a lot easier to carry and transport, the ATAK is a beast of a boat. On big water, I don't think the Amigo is going to excel (i.e. offshore, big lakes on windy days, etc.). In tighter spaces like rivers, creeks, marshes the Diablo is going to be much more maneuverable than the ATAK. The Diablos are also perfect for fly fishing with their clean deck layout. Comfortable seat in both. More in-hull storage in the ATAK. I think the ATAK may be faster but it's tough to tell without a side-by-side paddle or at least same-day paddle.

Just some basic thoughts. I will say this: Diablo is a smaller company run by a really rad dude named Thomas, so if you end up being split 50/50 on which will suit your needs better, I'd say give your dollars to a great, small, Texas business.

As always, do yourself a favor and demo both before you buy. Nothing we can say will let you know if this boat will work for YOU personally. Everybody's needs are different. But I think you'll be happy either way.
Posted By: YakFishField

Re: Anyone Compared the Diablo Amigo to the Wilderness ATAK? - 04/02/16 07:40 PM

Oh, and the biggest difference of all, price. You can almost buy two Amigos for the price of an ATAK.

Amigo: $999
ATAK: $1799

Re: Anyone Compared the Diablo Amigo to the Wilderness ATAK? - 04/02/16 08:36 PM

I think that's a pretty fair assessment.

For me the cost isn't a big factor since I already have a 240cm AT Fishstix. So by the time you throw in the larry chair, the skeg, and a new paddle, they're a few hundred difference in price.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum