Texas Fishing Forum

Pedal Kayak

Posted By: futeki

Pedal Kayak - 03/25/16 03:06 AM

I'm looking to get a kayak. Either a Wilderness Ride or a Native Slayer Propel. Do y'all think being able to pedal is worth the extra $1,500? I have demoed both, but am torn.
Posted By: B_Rod

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/25/16 03:57 AM

Where do you plan to fish mostly? creeks, rivers? lakes, BTBs?
Posted By: Lane H.

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/25/16 06:47 AM

What B_Rod said. Pedal kayaks are great unless you're going to be in a bunch of weedy, brushy, shallow water. Then you can't pedal or could get things tangled in your fins/prop.
Posted By: RealBigReel

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/25/16 12:09 PM

Pedals are much better in the wind. I prefer the Hobie fins. I have the Hobie drive just not their kayak.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/25/16 01:13 PM

I once debated that question with myself and talked myself out of one just because of the way I fish.
I don't cover enough water in a days fishing to warrant having one and I rarely troll.
I like the versatility of a simple paddle kayak when it comes to weight (my kayaks are manufactured) and using it in weedy shallow areas.
It's all about where and how you fish!

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/25/16 01:15 PM

Mostly lakes but all of the above really, but if it is a larger lake, I'd only hit 1-2 coves a day.

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/25/16 01:17 PM

That is one reason why most kayakers have a fleet!
I'm down to only two right now, and I don't plan on expanding the fleet anymore!
When I fish larger lakes I locate areas where I'm out of the wind and I can approach an area where I don't have to paddle far when I can.
Crossing any large body of water can get you into trouble if the wind kicks up and it won't matter if you peddle or paddle you'll be in trouble.

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/25/16 01:28 PM

I thought about that as well, I could get two really nice kayaks for the price of the Native. Or 3 for the price of the Hobie PA. Unfortunately, it's hard to find a used Native Propel. So I'm mostly wondering if the extra $1,500 is worth it for being able to pedal.

I'm also in an apartment, so even one is pushing it right now for me.

I would more than likely never troll. I'd fish mostly banks with the kayak being in about 5-10 feet of water and drop offs, nothing ever in the middle of the lake. If I wanted to fish the other side of the lake, I'd just choose a different day and put in on that side.

The lakes I'd fish mostly would be Lewisville, Grapevine, Ray Roberts, and Ray Hubbard. I fish 95-99% of the time for Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass.
Posted By: B_Rod

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/25/16 01:54 PM

Then I would probably lean towards the Ride. If you do go with a pedal drive, I recommend you demo both Propel and Mirage (Hobie) drives as they pedal very differently and each have their own unique quirks. Let us know what you end up doing.
Posted By: LSM

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/25/16 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: futeki
I thought about that as well, I could get two really nice kayaks for the price of the Native. Or 3 for the price of the Hobie PA. Unfortunately, it's hard to find a used Native Propel. So I'm mostly wondering if the extra $1,500 is worth it for being able to pedal.

I'm also in an apartment, so even one is pushing it right now for me.

I would more than likely never troll. I'd fish mostly banks with the kayak being in about 5-10 feet of water and drop offs, nothing ever in the middle of the lake. If I wanted to fish the other side of the lake, I'd just choose a different day and put in on that side.

The lakes I'd fish mostly would be Lewisville, Grapevine, Ray Roberts, and Ray Hubbard. I fish 95-99% of the time for Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass.

Based on your last statement, I would recommend the Slayer Propel. Like you, I mostly bass fish in open water.
I sold my Ride 135 to buy a Slayer Propel 13 and have zero regrets. Hobies are awesome yaks, but having reverse makes all the difference, for me. I can also remove the drive unit and it paddles decent, if I want to fish the marsh or other areas that limit the drive unit. As for price, a basic Ride 135 is about $1,500 less, but a more comparable one, with the max seat and a rudder is about $900 less than the Slayer Propel.

As with most things though, it's all personal preference, with no right or wrong answer.
Posted By: greenyak

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/25/16 02:54 PM

I just bought a slayer propel, I mainly fish creeks but have to go a little ways through the lake to get in the creeks. When I need to I can easily paddle the slayer.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/25/16 03:23 PM

I own a Meyers Sportspal S-15 fishing canoe, super stable for standing leisurely but hard to "hold water." If not for that, I'd pass altogether on kayaks.

I own a Slayer Propel 10 and it "holds water" very easily on lakes. The reverse pedaling is an absolute dream as is its light weight. And, what I do when necessary is just not lock down the front clip on the drive and use my paddle if I need to push into skinny water or weedy areas. the drive pivots up and down just as easily as a Hobie.

So, I'd go:

1) a paddle only kayak if fishing rivers, small ponds, back in coves on larger lakes . . . and not moving much so you can drop an anchor and hold position. Much less maintenance, too;
2) a Slayer 10 or 13 if I am out in the wind and currents on a lake and I am covering more water;
3) a Slayer Propel 13 or Hobie Outback/PA12/14 if I were taking the vessel out BTB or offshore where the extra stability is a plus.

Of the pedal driven kayaks, Natives are much better paddlers than the Hobies.

Brad
Posted By: Carver

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/25/16 04:16 PM

If you do buy a pedal yak you will find that the same things that put you where you fish now may change significantly. You will have a few limits lifted that you probably weren't aware you had.

When I finally let go of my paddle and started working only with my feet, It totally changed what I considered a reasonable day. Plus you are fishing full time rather than alternating paddling and fishing .

I would suggest also trying a Hobie Revo 13 and 16. They paddle well without the pedals. Most pedal boats are slightly challenged in the paddle arena.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/25/16 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Carver
When I finally let go of my paddle and started working only with my feet, It totally changed what I considered a reasonable day. Plus you are fishing full time rather than alternating paddling and fishing .

This is really noticed in a big way after fishing from a pedal yak for a while then going back to a paddle yak.

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/25/16 05:52 PM

Having those hands free is a really big deal!

Brad

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/25/16 06:34 PM

Thanks y'all! I was really hoping you would dissuade me from spending an extra $1,500. The reason I float tubed before was so I could fish all the time while moving with my legs. But it seems like the Propel is the way to go. Hobie's are great, but they can't reverse, which is why it wasn't in contention, although I have demoed it as well.

Do y'all stand up and fish in your kayaks? How stable is it when there's a large fish on?
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/25/16 06:44 PM

I'd fish mostly would be Lewisville, Grapevine, Ray Roberts, and Ray Hubbard. I fish 95-99% of the time for Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass.

For those lakes, I would go with a pedal kayak. Largemouth bass fishing is about holding your position which favors the Native Propel with its reverse. If you are in an apartment without a garage, then go with the lighter 10 foot model.

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/25/16 06:45 PM

Do y'all stand up and fish in your kayaks? How stable is it when there's a large fish on?

The Slayer seat is so comfortable, I rarely need to stand. When fighting a fish, especially bass, I had much rather be seated so I can keep my rod down low and hopefully limit the amount of jumping the fish does. Also, when standing, your body becomes a sail with any wind at all.
I do stand quite a bit while looking around in the marsh.
For standing, the Slayer wins hands down over the Ride 135, in my opinion.
Posted By: pelican

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/25/16 07:08 PM

IMO, yes it would be worth it. Having reverse and your hands free will allow you to do a lot more fishing and be in a better position.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/25/16 11:34 PM

I think the new santa cruz g2 will offer both options. It will have a removable center pod that can come out and with an adapter fit the mirage drive. Santa cruz wont sell the mirage drive but will sell an adapter. Looking at about $2100 kayak and drive but can be purchased seperatly.

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/27/16 01:25 PM

If the hole that the Mirage drive fits into is the same as that of the Hobie, there is a pod kit that is sold (not by Hobie) that fits into the slot that is made for a trolling motor. Just another option someone might want to look into!
Posted By: SeaAggie2015

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/28/16 08:15 PM

The Native Slayer Propels are awesome kayaks, and one of the only ones on the market that offer reverse pedal propulsion. I like them because if you happen across a shallow area or a bunch of weeds then you can pull up the propel unit up between your legs and use a traditional paddle. Also they have a 10 foot kayak that still has a 500 lb. capacity and is very stable so you can fit in in an apartment or smaller storage unit. If you're in North Texas then you should stop by Pond King Inc. in Gainesville, TX. We carry Native kayaks, paddles and selections from YakGear and RailBlaza
Posted By: rms2005

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/29/16 01:03 AM

IMO yes it is well worth the extra money, there is nothing like fishing and not fighting a paddle to move and interrupt your fishing. I have owned both the slayer 13 and now have a pro angler and they are both awesome boats. I got rid of the slayer for the extra room that the PA offered was the main reason. It is a dream to take BTB compared to the slayer. I do miss having reverse but it is not a deal breaker for me. I don't miss having the propel drive will get bound up with weeds and you have to raise the drive up to clear the propeller or having to pull the drive when you beach the yak.I will never go back to a paddle yak unless its for running baits or shallow creeks. The PA has been everywhere from local creeks/rivers, lakes, bays and BTB and I am pleased with it. About the only downfall I have found if you do need to paddle it does not paddle nearly as well as the slayer but if I'm on a flat its a lot easier to stand up and pole.

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/29/16 03:08 PM

Good comments, good reviews!

I agree with rms2005 on a Hobie for big loads. The PA 12 and certainly the PA 14 have tons of carrying capacity, rod storage, and more. A PA 14 is almost a boat. A PA 17t is a boat in my opinion.

Decisions quickly whittle down to how you fish, I think, that, and issues related to getting to, on, then off the water.

Brad
Posted By: dragonsdaddy

Re: Pedal Kayak - 03/29/16 10:22 PM

standing up while fishing seems to be a learned skill. as long as i am not thinking about it, i have no trouble. however the yips will strike me occasionally during which i feel like a bath is almost a certainty if i don't sit down. my propel is not the problem. it seems to be that 6 inches between my sideburns.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum