Texas Fishing Forum

Need help choosing a yak

Posted By: fishful thinking

Need help choosing a yak - 03/07/16 03:42 AM

I'm looking to purchase my first SOT fishing kayak. I just moved to the coast so I want to use it primarily for bay fishing and flats fishing. Id also like to stay under a grand. I've narrowed the field down to three kayaks: ascend 128t, perception pescador pro 12, and the vibe sea ghost 130. If there are any others you'd recommend please let me know. I want to be able to stand up on the yak, I know the ascend is very stable, but slow as molasses and extremely heavy coming in at 96lbs I believe. The other two yaks are quite a bit lighter but I haven't really heard if they are stable enough to stand. If anyone has had any experience with these yaks I'd like to hear your opinions of them. Thanks!
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Need help choosing a yak - 03/07/16 11:06 AM

I have a santa cruz raptor that will be for sale very soon. It comes fully rigged and ready to fish. This kayak has stability that easily competes with the hobie pro angler and more speed than most other fishing kayaks. Ive had huge cats, big kings and shark up to 8ft with no problem what so ever.
Posted By: APynckel

Re: Need help choosing a yak - 03/07/16 01:43 PM

You can get an older (2012) wilderness systems Ride 135 or 115 for under $800 if you shop around. They are fantastic bay / lake / river yaks and very stable. If I had the space, I would have never sold my 135. I could deadlift it on my own and put it on the roofrack easily.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum