Texas Fishing Forum

Rowing a Kayak

Posted By: B_Rod

Rowing a Kayak - 03/03/16 03:09 AM

This is something I've not seen before. Anyone ever row a kayak before?

Posted By: JOED214

Re: Rowing a Kayak - 03/03/16 03:12 AM

I know that NuCanoe has a rowing kit for the Frontier. I have never tried it though....Interesting...
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Rowing a Kayak - 03/03/16 05:27 AM

That video made me wanna dance for some reason!

Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: Rowing a Kayak - 03/03/16 10:19 AM

No thanks. That guy makes it look easy. Rowing is no fun in my opinion. Those guys that kayak the white water don't row for a reason. I had a raft once and had to row that thing in the wind it tired me out really fast. Its a an interesting idea but definitely not for me. I would also think that that stuff would get in my way while fighting a fish.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Rowing a Kayak - 03/03/16 11:51 PM

I dont think it would be as efficient. To maintain any speed you have to go in reverse. I wanna see where im going
Posted By: pelican

Re: Rowing a Kayak - 03/04/16 12:35 AM

Oh Hail No!
Posted By: LSM

Re: Rowing a Kayak - 03/04/16 01:06 AM

Uh....no
Posted By: Hawkpuppy 1

Re: Rowing a Kayak - 03/04/16 02:02 AM

I like it
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Rowing a Kayak - 03/04/16 03:49 AM

I wonder about sustained efficiency, you're rowing by pushing your arms forward. It doesn't look natural or comfortable.
Posted By: Bass Art

Re: Rowing a Kayak - 03/04/16 12:16 PM

There is a guy at Lake Athens with a touring kayak that has a rowing setup with a linkage that reverses the rowing motion, i.e., pulling the oar handles propels him forward. It's a long kayak, probably 17-18', and I've seen him paddle from the west side of the lake to the dam and back in about 45-50 minutes many times. That's more than 5 miles any way you cut it, and I'm sure I've seen him make the trip in less time than that at least a few times. I would bet he's averaging at least 7 mph on his faster mornings. Maybe faster.
Posted By: bert

Re: Rowing a Kayak - 03/04/16 02:54 PM

https://www.ghboats.com/options/accessories/forwardrow/

One of many if you search forward facing rowing. I have seen them on a pirogue but have never tried them and would bet they can be quite efficient. The problem I see with a lot of them is they are as expensive as a kayak.
Posted By: Superslab

Re: Rowing a Kayak - 03/04/16 06:02 PM

I'd pass on that!
Posted By: Rubberdown

Re: Rowing a Kayak - 03/04/16 08:50 PM

I'd bet you could move pretty dang quick like that.
Posted By: AdanV

Re: Rowing a Kayak - 03/04/16 09:07 PM

With rowing, you'll get more torque than paddling, but not much speed as paddling.
Most kayakers want Speed.
Posted By: cricman

Re: Rowing a Kayak - 03/04/16 10:51 PM

Even though rowing is more efficient than paddling- two strokes working together, with no wasted energy correcting the stroke induced steer correction and the involvement of more muscle groups to power the stroke- kayaks with rowing rigs are simply not designed to make efficient use of human anatomy to get the most efficient transfer of energy out of a rowing rig. For example, rowing sculls typically have a sliding seat that allows the involvement of the legs and lower back in the power stroke. That feature alone gives them a huge advantage over paddling. Olympic level scullers in single scull approach 12 miles per hour sustained over 1500 meters! A kayak couldn't come close to this speed in any situation (unless they had a torqeedo.) Plus (since we are talking of fishing) a rower can see his teasers and shotguns when trolling for billfish!!!!

cricman

Re: Rowing a Kayak - 03/05/16 06:13 PM

Re: Rowing a Kayak - 03/06/16 07:17 PM

Who still wants a Hobie Drive after seeing this?

Posted By: B_Rod

Re: Rowing a Kayak - 03/07/16 02:59 AM

roflmao
Posted By: HeavyLead

Re: Rowing a Kayak - 03/07/16 03:16 AM

LOL, he's leaving a wake!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum