Texas Fishing Forum

Trinity in DFW Heating Up

Posted By: joemac224

Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 02/29/16 09:37 PM

Been out there 4 of the last 5 days. Gets better every time. Was there from 7:30-10 this morning and caught upwards of 15 fish for an upper 80" limit. Broke off one of the biggest fish at the kayak that I have ever hooked on the river, every bit of 24". They are moving shallow, and before long you will find them on beds. TRWD or whoever controls the water is releasing a lot of water from Worth, but I think this has helped the fishing. Here are some trough pics of some of the nicer fish. All fish are footballs right now.

Posted By: Lmiller157

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 02/29/16 10:04 PM

We fished there the first time this past weekend. I am going to have to go back and find some honey holes. Good looking bass!

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/01/16 02:29 AM

You should. There are definitely some dead stretches in the river, but there are some great ones as well. When you find these good stretches, it can be very very rewarding.
Posted By: bigbass87

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/01/16 03:04 PM

I'll have to finally jump on the Trinity train. Always been interested.

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/01/16 08:57 PM

Got any of the good stretches you want to share =p
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/01/16 09:10 PM

Chunky!

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/01/16 09:24 PM

I found a few on google earth that looked good. I think I'll try them Saturday.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/01/16 10:54 PM

My wife wanted to take a walk and we live just a block or two from the FW zoo, so we drove over to the park. She took off on a walk, I fished from the bank on a creek.

I caught 2 LMBS, neither large at about a 1 to 1.5 lbs., but I had quite a few grab my bait. Problem was I had the same Fat Ika tied on with a 5/0 hook I used Sunday at Wheeler Branch and I think I would have hauled in a few more of them with a smaller hook and worm, maybe a drop shot presentation.

Maybe a dozen nibbles or so? Some could have been blue gills . . . but I didn't see any, so maybe small bass unable to latch on to my fat baits and big hook.

Anyway, it makes me think that the bass are moving into the shallows looking for warmer water and spawning sites.

Lots of fun. I need to go over there again and give it a go with a lighter presentation.

Brad
Posted By: Canoe-Yak Fisherman

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/01/16 11:35 PM

Brad,

Good info, good report. Thanks for sharing. Weekend plans?

D.L.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/02/16 03:14 AM

Good Looking Catch thumb
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/02/16 04:26 AM

Nice fish. Good job. coolio

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/02/16 04:31 AM

Lmiller, there are fish up and down the Trinity. I personally like to target rip-rap on the river 11/12 months of the year, and when they're spawning I look for hard mud/sand bottoms. Google Earth is your best friend.
Posted By: mamiller

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/03/16 06:23 PM

Where is a good place to launch for the Trinity?
Posted By: ReeceKennedy

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/04/16 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: mamiller
Where is a good place to launch for the Trinity?

For the elm fork i think you can launch at the lewisville dam, if you are in that area. Am i right? I'm going to be jumping on the trinity wagon pretty soon as well.
Posted By: mamiller

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/04/16 04:06 PM

Thanks I'll try there.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/06/16 03:34 AM

There is a nice place to launch on the trinity Trails at the Woodshack restaurant off University in Fort Worth.
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/07/16 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
There is a nice place to launch on the trinity Trails at the Woodshack restaurant off University in Fort Worth.

This is true but it can be a pain with lots of bike/runner traffic and general lack of parking (unless you get there really early) you will need a cart or a buddy to help carry it down.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/09/16 05:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

This is true but it can be a pain with lots of bike/runner traffic and general lack of parking (unless you get there really early) you will need a cart or a buddy to help carry it down.

All good points.
Posted By: Brady S

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/10/16 04:30 PM

Very nice man!

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/10/16 09:32 PM

All good points.

Haha yeah I know my put ins pretty well. I think Ive put in just about every stretch from below Benbrook all the way to behind lake worth dam. And have even fished a good way below the spillway at beach street. Thats one thing I like about the river. Lots of options!
Posted By: YakFishField

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/12/16 04:32 AM

Those are some fatties! Water clarity is awful right now I presume?
Posted By: TCU Reefer

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/12/16 12:47 PM

My 4 year old daughter caught her first bass last Sunday on the Trinity. I'd say she set the bar pretty high for herself.

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/12/16 08:53 PM

Nice! I think I might go Monday. I'm sure the water is very muddy, but so is everywhere else.

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/14/16 09:55 PM

Clearfork the water is fine just a little stained. West fork im sure is a muddy mess
Posted By: John Stockman

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/14/16 11:20 PM

Yeah the Trinity is alright
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/14/16 11:42 PM

nice
Posted By: Treadlightly2

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/15/16 03:42 AM

Got you a fishing buddy for life now,well done.

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/24/16 02:02 PM

Anyone fished the trinity the last week? Hows the water?

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/28/16 05:31 PM

Still stained and high as of Friday. Figured out a pattern that worked really well in the stained water on Friday caught around 15 or so total bass just no big ones. 3 over 16 and all the rest were in the 13-15" range. As long as we dont get any more torrential rains and they calm down with water releases from lakes it should start getting really good again. Fishing was really heating up before all this crazy weather hit again.
Posted By: Halliburton6807

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 03/28/16 09:49 PM

Great fish!
Posted By: SK.

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 04/02/16 06:41 PM

WTG on the catchn guys, I'll be purchasing a yak soon to join in on the fun but I've had fun banking it on the river too....
Here are a few I've caught recently.....Not that bass are my target species but they are welcomed....

Posted By: TCU Reefer

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 04/05/16 03:10 AM

Anyone launch near the Woodshed off University? I love fishing that stretch but with the Woodshed crowd, there is almost no place to park. Where do you park?

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 04/05/16 03:26 PM

We have not yet fished that area of the river, but we REALLY want to. We were looking at parking in this area https://goo.gl/maps/6UZ89EWpKPs . How is the fishing there TCU?

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 04/05/16 07:14 PM

You gotta get there pretty early if you want to be the crowds. Its more the runners/bikers than woodshed business though lol. AS far as the parking that Lmiller157 posted your best bet would be to drag/cart/carry the yaks down to the bridge cause the banks are too steep everywhere else to launch.

That section fishes hit or miss it can be tougher than others and there isn't much water to cover, Up stream past the golf course is extremely shallow and downstream near the little railroad bridge is roped off currently. Your time would be better spent elsewhere. Its a great bank fishing spot though.

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 04/05/16 07:30 PM

Thanks for the info Nathan, and insider information you would be willing to pass a long for a case of beer! We have only fished around the panther pavilion (we enjoyed it), and we are also looking at an area near riverside golf course, but i have heard that area is shallow as well.

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 04/06/16 06:06 PM

You mean Rockwood golf course? Some of the deepest water on the river in that section so not sure who told you it was shallow. I don't drink beer so you'll have to do better than that lol. smile

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 04/06/16 06:27 PM

Sorry riverside is over near Arlington, and runs through River legacy park! I have yet to make it up to Rockwood, i am a little to fat and out of shape at the moment!

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 04/07/16 04:54 PM

you can launch at rockwood. Their is a park where the road dead ends by the golf course. I just drive my truck down next to river and unload and park in parking lot. Never had vehicle issues there but I did happen upon a truck that had been vandalized and seemingly pushed down the hill into the river one morning while launching and had to call police. No one was inside truck thankfully. The river is always an adventure. If I can ever get enough time I wouldn't mind showing you around and giving you some info.
Posted By: metanium

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 04/07/16 08:07 PM

you can launch at rockwood. Their is a park where the road dead ends by the golf course. I just drive my truck down next to river and unload and park in parking lot. Never had vehicle issues there but I did happen upon a truck that had been vandalized and seemingly pushed down the hill into the river one morning while launching and had to call police. No one was inside truck thankfully. The river is always an adventure. If I can ever get enough time I wouldn't mind showing you around and giving you some info.

Rockwood Park Road is currently closed once you get to where it runs next to the golf course. I drove by there today at lunch.

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 04/08/16 01:05 PM

Thanks Natahan! That would be awesome. I know all about not having free time. I have an 8 month old, that takes up all my time at the moment (unless mommy is being nice).

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 04/08/16 05:09 PM

Ha funny you mention that! I have an 8 month old as well! Looks like we are in the same boat bro!

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 04/08/16 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: metanium

Rockwood Park Road is currently closed once you get to where it runs next to the golf course. I drove by there today at lunch.

Well crud. I knew they were making improvements over there to the course but didnt know they had it shut down.

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 04/08/16 05:12 PM

Just think before long we can take the little ones with us banana

Re: Trinity in DFW Heating Up - 04/08/16 10:20 PM

Im totally ready for that day! I just hope he likes fishing as much as I do. If he does Momma is in trouble because we will be gone all the time! lol
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum