Texas Fishing Forum

360 light

Posted By: chadmichael

360 light - 02/25/16 06:32 AM

Just wondering what some of y'all are using for a 360 light been trying to get some ideas
Posted By: K.D.

Re: 360 light - 02/25/16 08:47 AM

Navisafe
Posted By: APynckel

Re: 360 light - 02/25/16 12:07 PM

I use a Yak Attack visi carbon pro.

http://www.yakattack.us/by-product-name/visicarbon-pro/
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: 360 light - 02/25/16 12:09 PM

Ditto on the Yak Attack. Pricey but very nicely designed and made. There are a number of cheap do-it-yourself lights available on YouTube or Google. Think about a piece of PVC, a small LED flashlight, and a translucent juice bottle.
Posted By: Bass N Beer

Re: 360 light - 02/25/16 12:44 PM

I got the Yak Attack pro as well for both of our kayaks.
Posted By: Neumie

Re: 360 light - 02/25/16 01:41 PM

The Navisafe 360 degree LED ($70) is probably the top of the line when it comes to navigation lights, just a bit pricey for just a light. The Yak Attack Visicarbon Pro ($85) & VISIPole II ($55) are nice, complete options. They are probably the most popular lights on the market, too. The Tek-Tite Mark III - 2 LED ($28) is the same light used on the Yak Attack lights and is what I have for my kayaks. (They also have a 4 LED version ($34)) These lights will easily slide into a piece of PVC which can then be slid into a rod holder or mounted to a crate.

As Tallgrass05 mentioned, there are tons of DIY videos and instructions online as well.
Posted By: NjTexan

Re: 360 light - 02/25/16 02:03 PM

I bought a $5 small camping lantern from Walmart and glued the bottom of the lantern to a piece of PVC.
The lantern has two brightness stages and uses 4 LED bulbs so it's brighter than all of the single bulb units I've seen.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: 360 light - 02/25/16 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: APynckel

^This is what I use. I got mine used though.
Posted By: xFLYNNx

Re: 360 light - 02/25/16 05:33 PM

Call me frugal and not knocking anyone for spending cash on a better product and most certainly made for this specific situation. But... I'm planning on going the route of what tallgrass referred to... got me a free HF led flashlight that's bright as all get out. A little clear juice bottle with foil glued to the inside bottom of it. Tape the juice box bottle onto the flashlight, stuff the flash light into 1" pvc, paddle bit a finger size hole into the pvc just below the button on the flashlight. I'm thinking that a 22.5 degree elbow at the base of the light pole and another 8" or so of pvc to feed into a rod holder you've made your own for damn near free providing you've got a little pvc and a free flashlight.
Posted By: Neumie

Re: 360 light - 02/25/16 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: xFLYNNx
Call me frugal and not knocking anyone for spending cash on a better product and most certainly made for this specific situation. But... I'm planning on going the route of what tallgrass referred to...

Nothing wrong with coming up with your own solution to a light; it's what we had to do years ago when there was a dearth of kayak fishing accessories available on the market compared to today.
Posted By: xFLYNNx

Re: 360 light - 02/25/16 06:00 PM

Ya, I love to buy stuff don't get me wrong, but if I came home with a $50 light my accountant may very well beat me with it, haha. I've got to pick and choose these battles!
Posted By: District Paddle

Re: 360 light - 02/25/16 07:02 PM

I used a DIY solution for years (and there is no reason why you can't or shouldn't).

Of course, just make sure the corners that you are cutting aren't cutting into your own personal safety. Make sure the light can be seen from 360 degrees around you, and make sure it is bright. Also a good idea to wear a headlamp too (which most outdoorsmen already own).

The visicarbon is indeed pricey, but it is a quality product.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum