Texas Fishing Forum

Which truck bed extender?

Posted By: TreeBass

Which truck bed extender? - 02/17/16 01:40 PM

So I’m looking at the Darby at ACK for $99 http://www.austinkayak.com/products/134/Darby-Extend-A-Truck-Bed-Extender.html
Pros- can double as a roof rack
-can haul two kayaks
-local company
-very adjustable

Cons- no bend, so will it drag when weighed down?

The other is the TMS T-NS-HITCH-BED-EXTENDER $64.90 free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KVL...089ZFQ6W8VP#Ask
Pros- has bend to prevent dragging
-uprights on end
-already has reflective tape
Cons- gotta wait for it to arrive

any thoughts or opinions on either of these items? It will be installed on an FX4, so the dragging may be a mute issue

Thanks
Posted By: pontiactech

Re: Which truck bed extender? - 02/17/16 01:50 PM

I have the one like that from Harbor freight I got it because it would stand up so I could load yak on top if needed ,it will drag if the dip is deep enough but for the most part I am very satisfied with it .
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: Which truck bed extender? - 02/17/16 03:22 PM

If you want one like the first style I have harbor freight one for sale in the classifieds!
Posted By: Striper Lifer

Re: Which truck bed extender? - 02/17/16 04:04 PM

There are plenty of things that may justify a higher end unit on. This is not one, imo. I have a Harbor Freight one like Nathan is selling. It drug one time when I had it on my 2wd Ford. I seriously doubt you'll ever have a problem with that.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Which truck bed extender? - 02/17/16 04:16 PM

I have a Hitchrack bed extender similar to the one in your Amazon link and have hauled 2 kayaks with it. One sitting flat and the second kayak leaned upside down, with pool noodles between them for cushioning. You can expand the width of the top from 28" to 48".
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Which truck bed extender? - 02/17/16 04:25 PM

If you are worried about dragging and want the ability to carry 2 kayaks, look at the Boonedox T-Bone bed extender. It does cost more.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/15163/Boonedox-T-Bone-Bed-Extender.html
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Which truck bed extender? - 02/17/16 06:28 PM

thanks for the input, I'm not that concerned with dragging since my truck sits pretty high, but that was a comment in many of the reviews.

Wish you were closer Nathan
Posted By: Lane H.

Re: Which truck bed extender? - 02/17/16 09:50 PM

I have the Amazon one. Very happy with it with one minor modification: I wanted some extra padding on the support bar, so I ended up putting a pool noodle (cut to fit with my pocket knife) around the bar and securing it with zip ties.
Posted By: HOU Razorback

Re: Which truck bed extender? - 02/18/16 02:58 PM

I bought this one off eBay (its like a combo of the ACK and Amazon ones you posted) but only $58 and no tax or shipping.

eBay Truck Bed Extender

It worked great and its lightweight and can be installed/uninstalled in less than a minute.

Posted By: pelican

Re: Which truck bed extender? - 02/18/16 05:06 PM

You might want to consider this type of lock for your extender, they come in chrome or stainless and you can get them in multiples keyed alike.

Re: Which truck bed extender? - 02/18/16 06:36 PM

I always remove my extender and throw it in the truck after I launch so no need to lock it down. That would be handy though if you had to leave it on the truck for any extended period of time!

Re: Which truck bed extender? - 02/18/16 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: TreeBass
thanks for the input, I'm not that concerned with dragging since my truck sits pretty high, but that was a comment in many of the reviews.

Wish you were closer Nathan

Yeah id ship it to ya but its kind of bulky and would probably be cost probhitive at that point lol
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum