Texas Fishing Forum

Question about spider rigging an Outback

Posted By: Naggler

Question about spider rigging an Outback - 02/14/16 06:30 PM

Want to somehow use the accessory hole on hull directly behind foot pedals to make some kind of bar or rack to put a couple rod holders on so I can fish horizontally for crappie. Was thinking of using pvc with a piece of dowel in it, making a T shape and using something to attach rod holders to it. Anyone tried this? Any tips?

Re: Question about spider rigging an Outback - 02/14/16 06:32 PM

Or maybe using pvc to use the molded rod holders to hold the rods horizontally without drilling holes?
Posted By: Carver

Re: Question about spider rigging an Outback - 02/14/16 09:20 PM

You can get an adapter that fits in the stock rod holders for a ram ball if you want to go that route, but PVC will work for spider rigging. I probably would not use that same rig for catfishing or trolling though. If you go with a ram ball the options are limitless.

I did use a surface mounted RAM ball with a Bee-Ready 3 rod spread on each side. Worked great drifting or holding over brush, but the Bee-Ready holders aren't my first choice for trolling. They may have made an adapter by now to keep the rods from rolling backwards when you start moving.
They are really hard to beat for spider rigging for crappie.

Good luck, Phill

Re: Question about spider rigging an Outback - 02/15/16 06:22 AM

Is the RAM wedge mount 1.5" the one you are referring to? It fits into the molded rod holders? If so then that is awesome!! If not, and note i will not be trolling for bass or catfishing...just crappie, then maybe redneck engineering a pvc "T" into the accessory hole would suffice? The hole is only 1" wide, but maybe i dont need rod holders attached to it...just rest my rods on it? Like u said, if that RAM wedge fits snug in the molded holders, that makes it much easier.
When I googled this looking for info an old ad tou had out for your then for sale rig turned up...was hoping u would chime in! Thx!
Posted By: Jerry Hamon

Re: Question about spider rigging an Outback - 02/16/16 12:48 AM

Here's an article on how I do it on my Natives.
This will work on any yak.

http://www.yak-gear.com/railblaza-tracdash-900/
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum