Texas Fishing Forum

Cleburne State Park Open Invite Sun 2/7

Posted By: Canoe-Yak Fisherman

Cleburne State Park Open Invite Sun 2/7 - 02/06/16 08:26 PM

Intend to launch around 7:30 AM. Fish here a lot during warm months. Never fished winter. Will be targeting crappie on a few key areas including brush piles. Often catch respectable LM bass (unintended). Lake has good size sand bass, catfish and even carp. I am a fisher & only part time catcher, but if you show up I can tell you what I know about parts of this small lake. I will be in either a yellow Hobie PA 14 or a large aluminum canoe w/electric motor. Small lake, no wake permitted, single lane nice launch ramp; room for about 12 vehicles, maybe 5 or 6 with trailers. Not too much activity at launch ramp during warm months, so I don't expect any parking issues during winter. Hope to see some of you out there. - D.L.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Cleburne State Park Open Invite Sun 2/7 - 02/06/16 08:41 PM

D.L.

I posted back to you and I'll try to get there tomorrow to join you,

You shew those LMBs my direction!

Brad
Posted By: hobie14

Re: Cleburne State Park Open Invite Sun 2/7 - 02/06/16 08:46 PM

Hey D.L this is Barry fished there last Sunday will be there in the morning 2/7 may not make it that early I work second shift and I am working tonight marked a couple of places with my fish finder want to go and fish them tomorrow I'll be in pa14 if you see me out there give me holler I'll do the same!!
Barry

Re: Cleburne State Park Open Invite Sun 2/7 - 02/06/16 09:12 PM

Brad, Barry, all sounds good. Barry, there are 3 major brush piles I'm aware of, during warmer months one out produces the others hands-down (don't know why). There's also another area that I found by total accident that attracts crappie - I think significant timber scattered across the bottom there. I'll likely start with jigs, but might transition to minnows in more open water and move around slowly. If all that fails all go to long line trolling crankbaits, but usually often results in LM bass (warmer months). - D.L.

Re: Cleburne State Park Open Invite Sun 2/7 - 02/06/16 09:17 PM

Brad, Barry, all sounds good. Barry, there are 3 major brush piles I'm aware of, during warmer months one out produces the others hands-down (don't know why). There's also another area that I found by total accident that attracts crappie - I think significant timber scattered across the bottom there. I'll likely start with jigs, but might transition to minnows in more open water and move around slowly. If all that fails all go to long line trolling crankbaits, but usually often results in LM bass (warmer months). - D.L.
Posted By: Slingbait

Re: Cleburne State Park Open Invite Sun 2/7 - 02/06/16 10:57 PM

Just saw this thread. If I can get away I will be there also.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Cleburne State Park Open Invite Sun 2/7 - 02/08/16 03:41 PM

How was the fishinig? I like that little lake a lot have not been that way in a while need to go.

Re: Cleburne State Park Open Invite Sun 2/7 - 02/10/16 01:39 AM

Hi all, 3 total canoe/kayaks Sunday on Cedar Lake (Cleburne State Park). Met hobie14 (Barry) for first time. I was in my aluminum canoe w/electric trolling motor. Couldn't buy a bite on minnows or jigs on favorite two brush piles, or in fish bay. Ended up with the old stand-by, long line trolling Rapala shad raps in deep water. Caught 2 solid sand bass, largest exceeding lake record - approximately 1.5#, 15.25 inches. Certified scale I was sent to, Bubba's Bait & Tackle, Alvaredo, was non-operational and hadn't been since 2014! Oh well. Still a yummy sand bass. Fishing overall slow. Surface water temp 49.6 degrees. Marked bait balls & groups of larger fish in deepest water. Occasional bass breaking surface. Became breezy out of South, but manageable. The new floating fishing pier adjacent to the launch ramp is beautiful. There's a dedication ceremony there at the end of February with some fishing activities. Saw lots of deer on way into park. Remains very nice park, quiet place to fish. Several groups of hikers walking around lake. - D.L.
Posted By: Dnmjr1

Re: Cleburne State Park Open Invite Sun 2/7 - 02/10/16 02:22 AM

Missed this this weekend
I was the third boat out there in the Jackson Cuda at the dam
Got on the water at the first ray of light and caught a few bass in the first 30 minutes and then it shut down.
Thought it was going to be a great morn.... Wait... It was just being out there
Posted By: JOED214

Re: Cleburne State Park Open Invite Sun 2/7 - 02/10/16 11:43 AM

Just an FYI, if you catch a water body record, you can send the scale that you weighed it on off to be certified and submit it to TPWD. IGFA will do it for $40 if I remember correctly....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum