Texas Fishing Forum

Advice, please

Posted By: liveoutloud

Advice, please - 02/05/16 02:01 PM

Well, after what seems like forever dreaming of this, it looks like I'm gonna be able to get my OK Big Game II by the end of the month (just in time for the sand bass run, I hope).

I sold my old yak almost 2 years ago, and have regretted that decision ever since. I had already decided that I wanted the OK Big Game 2, it was just a matter of saving up the cash, and having the time.

Well, Lord willing, by the end of February, she will be in my garage.

The purpose of this post is to ask for paddle recommendations. I understand that the BG2 is wider than a lot of yaks, so I assume I'll be needing a 240 or 250?

I've also never had a light paddle, but want one. I just don't know what to look for.

I'm going to have about a $300 budget for a paddle... and will be buying the yak from Austin kayak, so I'll have the discount available for accessories.

What paddles do y'all recommend? and advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Posted By: Neumie

Re: Advice, please - 02/05/16 02:53 PM

Depending on your height, I would go with a 250 at the very least given how high you sit off the water and the width of the kayak.

The Werner Shuna or the Accent Premier Edge would get my vote for paddles just under $300. You could also get the Premier Edge Slider which allows you to make the paddle longer when you're in the high seat position.
Posted By: JOED214

Re: Advice, please - 02/05/16 05:29 PM

I have a used BG 2 for sale. Hit me up if you are interested.
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Advice, please - 02/05/16 05:37 PM

will ack let you demo? if you buy from them id think theyd be happy to let
you test a few paddles in different lengths. i will recommend u get one with bright colored blades.
there are a lot of nice angler kayaks on the market today. i own a new model OK big game II & it suits me well.
So far i have only good things to say about it. currently i use a werner 240 curved shaft, Bending Branches 240 straight shaft, & i still use an old marine raider 240 aluminum shaft from academy (under $30). i like them all.
ive been told i have a very high angle paddle stroke. so, take that into consideration. but, let me advise nothing less than a 240 lenght. my BB 240 angler paddle is still my favorite paddle FOR THE MONEY SPENT wink

its called the "classic" now and has been one of their best sellers over the yrs

Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Advice, please - 02/05/16 07:14 PM

I have a Bending Branches Slice Hybrid Plus and an AquaBound Manta Ray Posi-Lok. Both are light and have carbon shafts. The AquaBound is a little lighter at 29.5 oz and has a larger blade area, it's my #1 paddle. Get some YakGrips, too.
Posted By: liveoutloud

Re: Advice, please - 02/05/16 08:15 PM

Armadillomojo, I am VERY interested. I sent you a PM. Please give details.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum