Texas Fishing Forum

Tie down method concerns for the H12

Posted By: Rhino68W

Tie down method concerns for the H12 - 02/03/16 02:51 PM

So my Malibu has absolutely no where under the bumpers for me to connect straps to. Plus I don't want to blemish the paint like I did on my Accord. So I have an idea involving 4 cleats mounted in the hull and 4 individual ratchet straps. Tell me what you think. It should allow me to quickly tie down the kayak safely to prevent it from turning sideways on my roof rack and sliding fore or aft. It should also prevent any damage to the hull as I would only be tightening it just enough. The roof rack will have foam on it soon.

I have some solid experience roof topping a kayak and I think this would be a good method, just want some input from others in case I missed something. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I currently have two straps going to opposite side of the roof rack and wraping around the hull parts that connect each side fore and aft but that seems like it will do damage eventually. This picture also shows what the fnal result will sort of look like from one side.
Posted By: Todd™

Re: Tie down method concerns for the H12 - 02/03/16 03:01 PM

I can't do any drawings and I don't have pictures of my setup but get some Chinook tie down straps and strap it around the crossbar. It just goes around the bar and over the kayak and attaches to itself making a loop. I'll see if I can find some direction how.

http://shop.mariner-sails.com/Tie-Down-Straps-Chinook-Wrap-12-Ft-CS-535.htm?categoryId=-1
Posted By: yakintime

Re: Tie down method concerns for the H12 - 02/03/16 03:35 PM

I'd also consider taking off the seat and transporting it upside down. This will be stronger at your roof rack contact points AND not fill up with water if you travel or store in the rain........ just a thought......

Re: Tie down method concerns for the H12 - 02/03/16 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: yakintime
I'd also consider taking off the seat and transporting it upside down. This will be stronger at your roof rack contact points AND not fill up with water if you travel or store in the rain........ just a thought......

I did that and it was a lot more difficult to tie it down. The access points are a lot more difficult to get to. Plus I would like to be able to leave as much gear in the kayak as possible (seat, paddle, rods, ect...). I am in the process of figuring a way to secure them inside the front of the hull to prevent them from sliding towards the back.

Re: Tie down method concerns for the H12 - 02/03/16 03:40 PM

Sorry guys, not trying to downplay your recommendations, just playing devils advocate and explaining my future plans and theories.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Tie down method concerns for the H12 - 02/03/16 03:40 PM

Check out the YakGear EZ Loop and Hood Loop. There's a reason people tie down the bow when driving with a kayak on the roof.

Re: Tie down method concerns for the H12 - 02/03/16 03:49 PM

Guy is using a paddle board but I use this method for my Commander and keep it up right with gear in it.

Re: Tie down method concerns for the H12 - 02/03/16 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd™
Guy is using a paddle board but I use this method for my Commander and keep it up right with gear in it.

Do you use any type of bow strap? Or just the two that go over the kayak?

Re: Tie down method concerns for the H12 - 02/03/16 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Tallgrass05
Check out the YakGear EZ Loop and Hood Loop. There's a reason people tie down the bow when driving with a kayak on the roof.

I forgot about those. I will look into them to have a bow strap
Posted By: cricman

Re: Tie down method concerns for the H12 - 02/03/16 04:21 PM

Definitely use a bow strap. I made my own strap loops for under the hood, and installed them on my Tundra, Highlander, and Camry:

The commercial ones were too short for my liking, but they all work great, and stow out of the way when not on use. If you are worried about their effect on paint, wrap a microfiber cloth over it, where it contacts the hood or fender.

cricman

Re: Tie down method concerns for the H12 - 02/03/16 04:23 PM

I don't use a bow strap just the two straps over the bars. I have rod holders on my gear tracks that would stop it from sliding forward or backward if it was loose but it never has. I just strap it tight with the straps as close to the kayak as I can get so they don't slide in toward it and loosen.

Bow straps are a good idea to keep it from launching like a missile in a wreck.

Re: Tie down method concerns for the H12 - 02/03/16 04:29 PM

Do you guys not think the tension from all 4 tie down points would keep it from going forward or backwards? That was my theory in doing it the way I showed above.
Posted By: cricman

Re: Tie down method concerns for the H12 - 02/03/16 06:21 PM

My way of thinking is like this; Secure it to the rack and it won't leave the rack- Secure it to the vehicle and it won't leave the vehicle. That includes a bow and stern line.

It's probably just my CDL experience kicking in, but for the little time, cost, or effort for me to attach the vessel to the vehicle buys me a huge amount of peace of mind.

By the way, I just picked up my H12 (Olive) about 45 minutes ago.

cricman

Re: Tie down method concerns for the H12 - 02/03/16 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: cricman
My way of thinking us like this; Secure it to the rack and it won't leave the rack- Secure it to the vehicle and it won't leave the vehicle. That includes a bow and stern line.

It's probably just my CDL experience kicking in, but for the little time, cost, or effort for me to attach the vessel to the vehicle buys me a huge amount of peace of mind.

By the way, I just picked up my H12 (Olive) about 45 minutes ago.

cricman

You'll enjoy it. Super stable and tracks very well.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Tie down method concerns for the H12 - 02/04/16 07:07 PM

I always use a bow strap for traveling 70 mph on the hwy so I guess it's more for peace of mind because I use one even on close trips and back roads from force of habit.
You have no early warning should the kayak start to come loose with just the straps over the kayak like you would with a bow tie down.
Trucks passing on a two lane hwy can create a lot of turbulence at hwy speeds and straps or racks can fail or come loose.
It may not look cool, but I just don't ever want to find out how it feels to see my kayak in my rear view mirrow floating down onto oncoming traffic like a leaf in the wind.
I carry my Commander upside down on the roof rack. I don't want all the weight of the kayak centered on the cross bars which could warp your hull where it contacts the bar especially in the hotter months. Loading down the kayak with gear can put even more pressure on those contact points.
I hate ratchet straps for use on a soft plastic kayak. They are notorious for warping a kayak. I've seen a kayak folded back on to itself because of ratchet straps being too tight.

Re: Tie down method concerns for the H12 - 02/04/16 08:20 PM

Check the manual for your H12 and see if it has any storing and transporting instructions. Sorry for getting off topic with the Commander but this might apply to your H12 since it is a hybrid.

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
I carry my Commander upside down on the roof rack. I don't want all the weight of the kayak centered on the cross bars which could warp your hull where it contacts the bar especially in the hotter months. Loading down the kayak with gear can put even more pressure on those contact points.
I hate ratchet straps for use on a soft plastic kayak. They are notorious for warping a kayak. I've seen a kayak folded back on to itself because of ratchet straps being too tight.

Hybrids are different than a SOT and should not be stored or transported upside down in most cases. Check your manual for your year Commander. This is from my 2014 manual-

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/us/sites/default/files/PDFs/WS_14_15_Commander_Addendum.pdf

Due to the unique hybrid design of your Wilderness Systems Commander kayak, there are special
transportation and storage requirements to ensure the boat maintains its structural integrity.
Please note that these differ from our standard kayak storage and transportation guidelines.
SPECIAL TRANSPORTATION NOTICE FOR COMMANDER SERIES
DO NOT transport a Commander kayak upside down.
RECOMMENDED TRANSPORT OPTIONS:
• Placing Commander right-side up on a flat surface or using roof racks. Supports should be at
least 48 inches apart.
• Placing Commander on its side on a flat surface or using roof racks. Supports should be at least
48 inches apart.
• Use caution with roof racks that have bars or supports close together. Supports should be at
least 48 inches apart. Also ensure that there is not significant tension pulling down on either
the bow or stern.
SPECIAL STORAGE NOTICE FOR COMMANDER SERIES
DO NOT store a Commander kayak upside down.
DO NOT suspend the Commander by the carrying handles at each end.
RECOMMENDED STORAGE OPTIONS
• Place Commander right-side up on flat surface. If using supports they should be at least 48
inches apart. Avoid putting the weight of the Commander primarily on the bow and stern ends
by placing supports approximately half the distance from the center of the kayak to the ends
on each side.
• It is not recommended to suspend the Commander using web straps. In the event this must be
done, the kayak should be suspended on its side or right-side up, with support straps located at
least 48 inches apart. Also ensure that there is not significant tension on either the bow or stern.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Tie down method concerns for the H12 - 02/05/16 12:45 AM

Check the manual for your H12 and see if it has any storing and transporting instructions. Sorry for getting off topic with the Commander but this might apply to your H12 since it is a hybrid.

Hybrids are different than a SOT and should not be stored or transported upside down in most cases. Check your manual for your year Commander. This is from my 2014 manual-

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/us/sites/default/files/PDFs/WS_14_15_Commander_Addendum.pdf

Due to the unique hybrid design of your Wilderness Systems Commander kayak, there are special
transportation and storage requirements to ensure the boat maintains its structural integrity.
Please note that these differ from our standard kayak storage and transportation guidelines.
• Placing Commander right-side up on a flat surface or using roof racks. Supports should be at
least 48 inches apart.
• Placing Commander on its side on a flat surface or using roof racks. Supports should be at least
48 inches apart.
• Use caution with roof racks that have bars or supports close together. Supports should be at
least 48 inches apart. Also ensure that there is not significant tension pulling down on either
the bow or stern.
• Place Commander right-side up on flat surface. If using supports they should be at least 48
inches apart. Avoid putting the weight of the Commander primarily on the bow and stern ends
by placing supports approximately half the distance from the center of the kayak to the ends
on each side.
• It is not recommended to suspend the Commander using web straps. In the event this must be
done, the kayak should be suspended on its side or right-side up, with support straps located at
least 48 inches apart. Also ensure that there is not significant tension on either the bow or stern.

Oh well, looks like I'm wrong again! roflmao
Who woulda thunk it?
That said, it makes me wonder why they didn't give the reason for not carrying it upside down? huh
The gunnels are very sturdy and my crossbars on my rack fit at the supported points (cross braces) of the kayak.
Posted By: Neumie

Re: Tie down method concerns for the H12 - 02/05/16 01:21 AM

I don't like the way you're intending on strapping your kayaking down; to be honest. You're going to be putting a lot of stress on a portion of the kayak that it was never intended on. Plus in the heat of a Texas summer the plastic in a kayak will soften, so if you're securing your kayak in the way you are illustrating the inward lip is going to pull together loosening the straps. Then you'll stop and do a couple more cranks on the ratchets to get them tight again, which isn't good.

I would ditch the ratchets all together and use the style of straps Todd linked. They are much better for securely strapping down a kayak. I would then wrap the strap around the cross bar just like they did in the video Todd posted. Also, I agree with yakintime in that you should transport your kayak upside down, unless specified otherwise in the manual. Either way you absolutely need to run a bow strap down to the front of your car. This will keep it pointed forward when traveling at highway speeds (which are greater when heading into a headwind).
Posted By: Neumie

Re: Tie down method concerns for the H12 - 02/05/16 01:24 AM

I always use a bow strap for traveling 70 mph on the hwy so I guess it's more for peace of mind because I use one even on close trips and back roads from force of habit.
You have no early warning should the kayak start to come loose with just the straps over the kayak like you would with a bow tie down.
Trucks passing on a two lane hwy can create a lot of turbulence at hwy speeds and straps or racks can fail or come loose.
It may not look cool, but I just don't ever want to find out how it feels to see my kayak in my rear view mirrow floating down onto oncoming traffic like a leaf in the wind.

Agree with what Jimbo said.

Oh well, looks like I'm wrong again! roflmao
Who woulda thunk it?
That said, it makes me wonder why they didn't give the reason for not carrying it upside down? huh
The gunnels are very sturdy and my crossbars on my rack fit at the supported points (cross braces) of the kayak.

I'm with ya, Jimbo. I think I would still transport the commander upside as well. Seems like the flat surfaces of the gunnels would allow you to strap down more solidly.
Posted By: Federale

Re: Tie down method concerns for the H12 - 02/05/16 01:07 PM

least 48 inches apart.
48 inches apart.
the bow or stern.
on each side.

I contacted WS when I first got my commander about this. They told me despite what the manual said they were not to concerned about transporting upside down if it wasn't for long periods of time. Their main concern seemed to be storing it. I store mine right side up but I will usually transport upside down. No issues after several years.

Re: Tie down method concerns for the H12 - 02/05/16 02:03 PM

Thank you guys for all of the valuable input. You guys mentioned things I had not thought about.

I am going to look into the straps Todd posted and try out that method. I will also be adding a bow strap that attached under the hood (the loop style that's able to be hidden).
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum