Texas Fishing Forum

Rod Arsenal!!!

Posted By: JAlderson

Rod Arsenal!!! - 01/30/16 03:24 AM

Alright, give me your Rod/Reel Arsenals !!!!! Recommendations too !
Posted By: -Clay-

Re: Rod Arsenal!!! - 01/30/16 08:43 AM

I would go shimano on the reels and If I was going to try a new rod it would be enigma, but their are a lot of good rod brands out there just make sure you match the rod to its application. Such as flip with a flipping stick, crank with a cranking stick, ect. Research and go to the retail stores to find the one that you think feels the best in your hands.
Posted By: CrazyCajun

Re: Rod Arsenal!!! - 01/30/16 11:43 AM

custom made rod by Bayou Kustoms
Posted By: jasoniam

Re: Rod Arsenal!!! - 01/30/16 12:08 PM

Phlueger president 30 size on a 7' G-rod with 20# power pro yellow braid! This is good to catch anything I want!! Striper, hybrid, bass which it can all muscle in with no problem and still feel the tiny thump of a .5lb crappie!!! It is a game changer for around $180! It's the only rod/reel combo ya need!!!
Posted By: pelican

Re: Rod Arsenal!!! - 01/30/16 01:49 PM

For everything other than Blue cats I use Shimano reels (mostly Curados) for Blue cats it's ABU 6500 C3 (made in Sweden)
All my rods are Falcon (made in USA) with the exception of one G Loomis rod (very sensitive)
If you want something really special in a rod get with Walker Nelson (Wafflejaw here on the Forum)
Posted By: CrappieTX

Re: Rod Arsenal!!! - 01/30/16 02:33 PM

I'm having the hardest time finding a 7' spinning G-Rod. That's the longest single piece rod they have. Everything seems to be on backorder
Posted By: pontiactech

Re: Rod Arsenal!!! - 01/31/16 04:49 AM

I am using the 13 fishing black omen rods paired with Lews reels
Posted By: District Paddle

Re: Rod Arsenal!!! - 01/31/16 09:04 AM

I keep 3 with me on the kayak:

A 6.5 MH with a bait cast for soft plastics
A 7.0 M with Moderate Action bait cast for cranks and top water with treble hooks (Zara Spook/Popper etc)
A 6.5 M with Medium Action spinning for finesse applications (drop shot etc)

Brand is personal preference. I like Shimano and BPS brand gear.
Posted By: jasoniam

Re: Rod Arsenal!!! - 01/31/16 11:28 AM

Originally Posted By: pontiactech

How do you like those rods? They got some good back bone? Spinning or baitcaster?
Posted By: C-Frog

Re: Rod Arsenal!!! - 02/01/16 02:10 PM

I use strictly Impulse Rods. They are all hand made right here in Texas
Posted By: Matty

Re: Rod Arsenal!!! - 02/01/16 06:38 PM

I strictly stick to the "Whatever is on sale" brand
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Rod Arsenal!!! - 02/01/16 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Matty
I strictly stick to the "Whatever is on sale" brand

Yup^
Posted By: Mark Ray

Re: Rod Arsenal!!! - 02/02/16 03:01 AM

Posted By: JAlderson

Re: Rod Arsenal!!! - 02/02/16 03:20 AM

How many Rods do you have in the yak at a time? And are you a tournament fishermen?
Posted By: pelican

Re: Rod Arsenal!!! - 02/02/16 03:29 AM

4 to 6 rods, some tourneys.
Posted By: ETBA

Re: Rod Arsenal!!! - 02/02/16 04:14 AM

I carry anywhere from 3-6 rods depending on where and what I'm fishing. My production rods are dobyns, the others are customs made by wafflejaw of Nelson Custom rods. All reels are Daiwa: tatulas on my conventional setups, Lexa 300's and a Luna 253 on my swimbait rods.

I have 3 swimbait specific rods, and 3 conventional rods.
My conventional rods are as follows.
Med/heavy,mod fast: cranks and trebeled topwater
Med/heavy,fast: weightless plastics, t-rigs,light jigs,spinnerbaits/chatterbaits, shakey head, etc
Heavy/fast: heavy jigs/frogs
Posted By: pontiactech

Re: Rod Arsenal!!! - 02/02/16 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: jasoniam
Originally Posted By: pontiactech

How do you like those rods? They got some good back bone? Spinning or baitcaster?
I love them for the feel they give but going into 2016 they have gone back to full grips which I am not a fan of thinking when I swap out rods again may go with TFO rods I have one of those that I won in a raffle last year and really like it plus they are in Dallas so if you have a problem drive over and have it taken care of versus having to ship rod off.
Posted By: Mark Ray

Re: Rod Arsenal!!! - 02/02/16 02:21 PM

Catfish tourney I have five rods, 3 in play when drifting, all five in play when anchored up.

Bass tourney I have two rods for flipping and pitching one usually rigged with a slither rig the other T rigged fairly light. I have one for top water, another for cranking, and one C rigged. And of course my go to for tough fishing is the drop shot. So for bass fishing six, maybe seven rods.
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: Rod Arsenal!!! - 02/02/16 07:05 PM

All Daiwa reels for me. 2 Tatulas (1 6.3 ratio one 8.1 ratio (gear swap) and 1 type R tatula in 6.3 ratio. 1 T3 Ballistic in 7.3, an Exceller in a 7.3 and im looking to buy another just havent decided on what yet. Going to be selling a CH100b Chronarch and a Johnny Morris Carbon black soon too that i dont intend to use anymore. As for rods Im all over the place. I have 2 Shimano Clarus, 1 Powell CB rod, 1 Bass Pro topwater rod, and a h20 ethos HVY action rod. Also a few other cheaper rods I have as back up.

Your gonna get a lot of different brands and advice on this. My advice is to just stay within your budget, whatever that may be, and get the best that you can afford.
Posted By: -Clay-

Re: Rod Arsenal!!! - 02/02/16 07:45 PM

I like to have 4 rods in the yak at most but those 4 rods will differ depending on the body of water. Usually 1 flipping stick, 1 spinning rod for shaky head or dropshot, one crankbait/spinnerbait rod for a squarebill/lipless or spinnerbait/chatterbait, and one rod to cast worms/jigs. My kayak has easy storage for 6 rods/reels but I like to keep it simple and uncluttered, but I will keep two extra spooled up baitcasters in the front hatch in case one or two stop working correctly while fishing a tournament.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum