Texas Fishing Forum

Cold weather fishing gear

Posted By: 200Hawk21

Cold weather fishing gear - 01/23/16 04:40 AM

I am looking for someone in the Ft. Worth area that can give me some good advice on kayak fishing gear needed for fishing during the spring before the water warms up. I have seen videos on dry suits, semidry suits, neoprene waders, wetsuits, and am wondering what the local fishermen use this time of year. Prices vary greatly depending on the gear used and am wondering what everyone is using but still feel safe out on the water.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Cold weather fishing gear - 01/25/16 09:08 PM

Waders are a go to for me now. With the stability a lot of kayak have these days I am not very worried about going overboard and sinking like a rock. Plus the waist belt is always on nice and tight as well as a good PFD. I used to just use Magellan pants and layer underneath them. Maybe some hip boots for getting in/out of the kayak.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Cold weather fishing gear - 01/26/16 01:20 AM

I simply bought a pair of waders that are "crotch high" and I slip them over my pants, Proppers. If it is really cold, the Proppers are roomy enough that I'd put a pair of sweats on underneath if I feel it is needed. I wear the waders all day in cold weather usually.

In the summer, I usually wear the waders to launch, then roll them down because they can get so hot. But, mine are very comfortable on cold days.

I suppose there are better ways to do it but this works well for me. My Slayer 10, 34" wide, is super stable and I'd have to work at tumping it over.

Brad
Posted By: Searsay

Re: Cold weather fishing gear - 01/26/16 04:16 PM

I use a pair of breathable waders (about$100 can find cheaper on sale) & life jacket. what i wear under the waders and my jacket depend on the weather. All wool or polyester fabric both for what i'm wearing and what i have in my turtle bag/kit smile I have a lot of clothing from when i lived up north skiing so it works out well for me.
Posted By: CrappieTX

Re: Cold weather fishing gear - 01/28/16 03:42 PM

Neoprene waders with built in boots for sure
Posted By: Todd™

Re: Cold weather fishing gear - 01/28/16 04:00 PM

First and most important a PFD. Waders with a rain coat. Those keep me dry while getting in and out and from paddle drippings. Under that I dress according to the temps. And don't worry because you will NOT sink if you fall in with waders.
Posted By: jasoniam

Re: Cold weather fishing gear - 01/28/16 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd™
And don't worry because you will NOT sink if you fall in with waders.

I have been seein that on youtube...with neoprene waders! although mine are not neoprene just the straps! I have wondered if that applies to those?
Posted By: Todd™

Re: Cold weather fishing gear - 01/28/16 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: jasoniam
Originally Posted By: Todd™
And don't worry because you will NOT sink if you fall in with waders.

I have been seein that on youtube...with neoprene waders! although mine are not neoprene just the straps! I have wondered if that applies to those?

No breathable and rubber will do the same. Don't ask how I learned this hammer. Both float because they hold air and when they fill with water they will weight a third of what they do out of the water. The water on the inside doesn't have less buoyancy than the water outside the waders so there is no affect besides you getting wet and swimming with shoes on. The key is to have a PFD on. Your time is short no matter what when you are in 50 or below degree water.
Posted By: BruceV9er

Re: Cold weather fishing gear - 01/28/16 06:17 PM

I'd recommend bringing extra clothes too. Have a set of dry clothes in your vehicles or get a waterproof bag to store on your Yak with dry clothes (in the event of flipping your vessel).
I purchase waders from Academy Sports and have had a pleasant experience with them. Although, I will be purchasing better ones in the future.
My winter setup: wear a Wool hat, get a face/neck gator, put on wool socks w/ toe warmers, purchase Under Armor thermal base layers, wear fishing clothes (Magellan fishing shirt/pants), have on old hoodie (like you want to be a UniBomber) and get some type of waterproof jacket/raincoat. Now, you might look like Ralphie's younger brother from the CHRISTMAS STORY movie heyheyheyhey. But, this keeps me warm for budget conscience fisherman. Throughout the day, as the weather warms up, I will downsize if necessary. banana
Posted By: Searsay

Re: Cold weather fishing gear - 01/28/16 06:26 PM

i personally love my ski jacket w/ vents for winter kayaking - wear it over my PFD. It's waterproof, wear it w/ vents closed in the morning and open them up (and then the front) as i (and the day) warms up. Keeps me from having to take anything off while fishing smile
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum