Texas Fishing Forum

Truck Bed Extender

Posted By: johnnykayak

Truck Bed Extender - 12/31/15 02:26 AM

A couple of questions for those that use bed extenders.
Where does one store their fishing rods if they do not have interior access to their kayaks?

Do these units tend to scrape on the road a lot when going up say a subtle incline?
Posted By: C-Frog

Re: Truck Bed Extender - 12/31/15 02:32 AM

1. i usually travel alone and carry my rods in my passenger seat

2. i rarely scrape
Posted By: pelican

Re: Truck Bed Extender - 12/31/15 03:22 AM

I usually travel alone and carry my rods in my passenger seat and I've never scraped, although I'm sure you could.
Posted By: LSM

Re: Truck Bed Extender - 12/31/15 03:47 AM

Another loner who carries rods in passenger seat. When my wife or son goes with me, we use the trailer and put rods in bed. You could construct a rod tube and mount it to your bed somehow.

Scraping shouldn't be an issue, unless you have a low-clearance vehicle.
Posted By: Bass Art

Re: Truck Bed Extender - 12/31/15 04:03 AM

I've never scraped my bed extender. My rods ride in the rod box on my boat or in my cab. Period. Passengers deal with rods inside, and that includes their rods/reels. My only other option is to remove the reels and carry the rods in a 4" x 8' PVC tube. But I only use that if we are going for 2 or 3 days or more.
Posted By: pontiactech

Re: Truck Bed Extender - 12/31/15 01:31 PM

I have drug my bed extender before usually coming out of a parking lot that has a deep drop to it as far as my rods I usually just lay them in the floor of my yak.
Posted By: Todd™

Re: Truck Bed Extender - 12/31/15 03:26 PM

I lay the rods along side the kayak in the bed. If it's just me then the kayak will be centered in the bed and secured. I have one strap that goes across the bed at the top rear by the tailgate. I lay my rods with the reels to the front of the bed and the rods lay on the rear strap to keep the tips up. On the opposite side of the kayak I keep my crate, cooler, and big stuff so it is away from my rods. Never had a issue with the rods getting damaged doing it that way.

Scraping is not really an issue but I have been rear ended twice. People are idiots when it comes to following a vehicle with a bed extender and a kayak. They like to see how close they can get at stop lights. realmad
Posted By: PlanoTom

Re: Truck Bed Extender - 12/31/15 03:45 PM

If I get a Propel 13, would a bed extender work with a shorter bed (5 ft) or is the longer bed (6 ft) better?

Is there a way to lock the kayak in the extender to help prevent theft?
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Truck Bed Extender - 12/31/15 03:59 PM

My kayak would stick out pretty far but I never scraped anything. I did rig up some lights I would use in the daytime, plus the required red flag. I wanted to be sure cars behind me would take notice.

Posted By: FWBanger

Re: Truck Bed Extender - 12/31/15 09:12 PM

I strap my rods down in my yak.
I've scraped a few times but it is a rare occurrence.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Truck Bed Extender - 12/31/15 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: PlanoTom
If I get a Propel 13, would a bed extender work with a shorter bed (5 ft) or is the longer bed (6 ft) better?

I'm sure there is a way to chain it to the truck. Maybe find a point on the kayak where one of those rubber coated wire cable locks could go?
Posted By: pelican

Re: Truck Bed Extender - 12/31/15 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: PlanoTom

I have a 6' bed and a FX 12. Yak is 4.5' past the end of the tail gate.
I run a chain through the handle then lock it to a D ring in the bed of the truck.
If they want it they will get it.
Posted By: CraigMcD

Re: Truck Bed Extender - 01/01/16 05:51 AM

I lay my rods inside my kayak and the straps used to hold the kayak down also hold down the rods.

The T-Bone bed extenders (available at Mariner Sails) are curved to avoid scraping. They're expensive but I really like mine.

Craig
Posted By: jcrash

Re: Truck Bed Extender - 01/01/16 02:28 PM

I had a pickup with an 8ft bed and used one that came with my kayak once. I had to remove it to get in my driveway. If you have a 8ft bed you really don't need an extender. My truck was a regular cab so I had to travel with the rods in the bed. Make sure your bed is clean and you should't have any problems.

Your post has reminded me that I have an extender I no longer need.
Posted By: Matty

Re: Truck Bed Extender - 01/01/16 03:46 PM

Would it be possible just to lay a long piece of plywood or something in the length of the bed that extended out past the tailgate?
Posted By: Crazy4oldcars

Re: Truck Bed Extender - 01/02/16 03:28 AM

Unless it had a frame built under it, you would be just as well off without the plywood. You might get support in the first 6 inches.

Kirk
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Truck Bed Extender - 01/02/16 12:42 PM

Scrapping the ground and hittin objects likea tree will happen if your not careful. There r a few extenders that are angled upwards from your bumper or curved so that Scrapping wont be an issue. Youll still need to watch for trees and other objects when moving your vehicle in reverse.

see the tbone extender here and a few others

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum