Texas Fishing Forum

putting in at HGWY 16 bridge

Posted By: AlexG

putting in at HGWY 16 bridge - 12/07/15 12:49 AM

How difficult is it to unload/load a kayak at the HGWY 16 bridge below PK dam? Thinking about making a trip there. Thanks
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: putting in at HGWY 16 bridge - 12/07/15 01:15 AM

There is a nice public boat ramp on the southeast side of the river. It is nice but very steep.
Posted By: MtnDew

Re: putting in at HGWY 16 bridge - 12/07/15 01:23 AM

It is pretty easy.

There is a paved ramp/road that leads down to the water's edge. It is a bit steep, but I get up and down it in a small Scion Xb front wheel drive, no problem. About 50 feet before the water, part of the ramp veers to the right and flattens out. I personally park there, I find it easier to unload my kayak from my roof with the car level, plus it is very unsettling looking at your car parked on a steep slope pointed right into the river smile

Here is pic I found online, Look on the right of the image, you can see the flatter part where you can park and unload.

Here is a better pic I found online, showing how steep the ramp is. Still very doable to walk up and down.

Here is a pic showing the cement ramp at the water's edge. That was at 75 cfs ..

Here is roughly the same corner of the ramp at 340cfs this past weekend.

Here is a pic of the parking up by the road, plus across the road is a gravel parking lot, so plenty of parking.

Posted By: YAKnIT

Re: putting in at HGWY 16 bridge - 12/07/15 11:25 PM

It's pretty easy to put in. The "ramp" is rather steep and rough, but it is paved. It's not quite like a real boat ramp due to the fact that the end is sometimes in the water, sometimes not, and the end of it drops off very sharply about a foot. I load my yak onto a cart, put my gear in the yak, and roll it down the ramp.
Posted By: AlexG

Re: putting in at HGWY 16 bridge - 12/09/15 03:15 AM

Thanks so much for the info gentlemen. I have a big rig and I would be transporting in my truckbed. looks doable.

Re: putting in at HGWY 16 bridge - 12/10/15 12:26 PM

I am planning to be out there again this Sat, say hi if you see me in my red native ultimate. PK Dam still releasing 340 cfs, so river will still be good.
Posted By: Jerry Hamon

Re: putting in at HGWY 16 bridge - 12/10/15 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: MtnDew
I am planning to be out there again this Sat, say hi if you see me in my red native ultimate. PK Dam still releasing 340 cfs, so river will still be good.

Weather permitting, a buddy and I may meet you there.

Re: putting in at HGWY 16 bridge - 12/10/15 07:20 PM

Yeah, the forecast is a bit weird, chance of thunderstorms in the morning .. hopefully it wouldn't be enough to cause them to open the floodgates since PK is already 100% full.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum