Texas Fishing Forum

Gift ideas

Posted By: Rhino68W

Gift ideas - 12/03/15 02:37 PM

So the wife and other family members are having a hard time shopping for me this year since I have started kayak fishing. What are some good $25-$50 gift ideas for kayak fishing? Or fishing in general. I am all out of ideas for people!
Posted By: mikepaddle

Re: Gift ideas - 12/03/15 03:38 PM

Whenever asked for suggestions, I always say "gift certificates". That way, I can pick out exactly what I want and not hurt any feelings.

For the kayak fisherman, I would recommend gift certificates from Mariner Sails. They can be purchased by phone, via the online shopping cart, or better yet, in person . . . and they never expire!
Posted By: C-Frog

Re: Gift ideas - 12/03/15 03:49 PM

I second the gift cards, shopping is more fun when you get to buy what you want
Posted By: bert

Re: Gift ideas - 12/03/15 03:54 PM

+1 Mariner and Hook1 gift cards, generally I buy my rigging and accessories from Mariner, Hook 1 has a Heroes on the Water line of clothing so I like cards for them too.
Posted By: 79scooter

Re: Gift ideas - 12/03/15 04:31 PM

- dry box for wallet,keys,phone, etc...

- blue tooth and water proof speaker

thats all I can think of for now.
Posted By: weklfrog

Re: Gift ideas - 12/03/15 05:59 PM

The Backwater Assault paddle ($29) is a short paddle that I have found very useful for my Outback. It can be used to go in reverse in my Outback for backing away from obstacles or turning a bit without having to get my paddle out and can be useful to make slight course adjustments when used as a secondary rudder on the side.

The Torpedo Bait Bucket ($29) is a minnow bucket shaped like a torpedo that provides minimal drag next to the kayak. It is similar to the PVC tubes some kayakers make for minnows.

I have found a Blakemore Brush gripper to be very useful although I believe it is no longer made and may be impossible to find.

Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Gift ideas - 12/03/15 07:04 PM

Gift cards aren'[t an option....annoying I know. I don't need a dry box and I already have a waterproof bluetooth speaker and Assault paddle haha. It's hard guys!
Posted By: weklfrog

Re: Gift ideas - 12/03/15 07:13 PM

I hope people add to this thread because I could use ideas also. Problem is, most things I hear about that sound like they might be useful, I go ahead and get. Same is true in non-kayak, non-fishing areas. I am having a hard time thinking of anything I want that I don't already have and what little I can think of, I don't want someone else buying for me, I need to pick out just the right model myself.

In that regard though, I could probably use some lightweight camping gear, accessories for kayak camping. Any suggestions in that area that people find useful would be welcome.

Re: Gift ideas - 12/03/15 08:23 PM

It is hard... LOL

Re: Gift ideas - 12/03/15 08:26 PM

Do you have a multitool you could keep in the yak for minor repairs?

A decent knife for emergenciesI keep one on my PFD for easy access if I need to cut an anchor line in a hurry, etc.
Posted By: pelican

Re: Gift ideas - 12/03/15 08:50 PM

A few ideas

Zippo Hand warmers are nice.
Chemical package hand warmers
Fleece Buffs to keep the neck and face warm.
Columbia Freezer Zero neck gaiter for summer time UV protection
Silk and wool socks.
Boomerang line cutting tool
Fish Grips
Plano Tackle storage boxes
Drift sock
Second anchor (you will lose a anchor)
fish net
Spool or spools of your favorite fishing line
Hawg Trough
Hemostats
second battery for Fish Finder
Fillet knife & sharpener
LED head lamp
Small led flash light or lights
Red safety flags from ACK
Beeready Rod holders
Posted By: MtnDew

Re: Gift ideas - 12/03/15 09:26 PM

Here is a good deal on a pair of aluminium pliers. The nose piece is stainless steel insert so it strong, the side cutters cut braid easy and they are very light and won't rust. Already have leashes etc .They are on sale.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/pr...et&i=756596

I have the set, the only small issue is the smaller pliers doesn't have it's own holder.

Posted By: swalker9513

Re: Gift ideas - 12/03/15 10:46 PM

LED lights
I have super strong magnets glued in specific places to keep track of my tools
i also have a bunch of retractable holders everywhere with velcro ties on the ends
Seems you could never run out of uses for carabiners.
terminal tackle is always a good choice.
Posted By: KQT

Re: Gift ideas - 12/05/15 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: pelican
A few ideas

Zippo Hand warmers are nice.
Chemical package hand warmers
Fleece Buffs to keep the neck and face warm.
Columbia Freezer Zero neck gaiter for summer time UV protection
Silk and wool socks.
Boomerang line cutting tool
Fish Grips
Plano Tackle storage boxes
Drift sock
Second anchor (you will lose a anchor)
fish net
Spool or spools of your favorite fishing line
Hawg Trough
Hemostats
second battery for Fish Finder
Fillet knife & sharpener
LED head lamp
Small led flash light or lights
Red safety flags from ACK
Beeready Rod holders
Thanks Pelican, I just copied and pasted this gave it to the wife and am all set!!!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Gift ideas - 12/05/15 01:29 AM

Line Conditioner
Reel Oil
Gear grease
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum