Texas Fishing Forum

Brazos below Possum Kingdom 11/15

Posted By: MtnDew

Brazos below Possum Kingdom 11/15 - 11/16/15 12:16 AM

This story starts on Saturday, when I randomly wandered into Academy Sports in Dallas and bought my first set of waders (Reddington SonicDry 50% off , only 1 XL left, so I had to buy them smile . Now where to try them out. Needed to find some clear water.

Thanks to all the great folks on this board that took the time to post videos about fishing below Possum Kingdom Dam, on here and the fly fishing forum. After watching those I felt pretty confident, that this would be an easy paddle and wade to take on alone. I put in at the highway 16 bridge. To help me out the BRA lowered the release to 80 cfs from 250 cfs, which gave me plenty of shallow places to test my waders and drag my kayak upstream. Unfortunately, it may have ran off the big stripers. I only found the baby's 10 to 14" and I only got a few at a time and did the best on top water.

I did meet two other kayakers at the launch, super nice guys. They offered to help me unload and gave me plenty of tips. I only saw 4 other fly fisherman the whole day. Nobody seemed to be catching much, but it was super nice to be outside, away from the lakes, waves and boat traffic. I could see myself becoming a river rat, I really like having the chance to get out of the kayak, stretch and wade in clear water.

My only beginner tip, make sure you bring your polarized glasses, so you can see the bottom better when wading and kayaking. The bottom of the pools below the dam have lots of big rocks and the bottom gets uneven, also pack a change of clothes in a dry bag. I watched one guy stumble and almost go down.

Here are a few pics I took , only took a pic of my first baby striper, the rest weren't big enough to warrant pics.

Posted By: HERROUTDOORS

Re: Brazos below Possum Kingdom 11/15 - 11/16/15 01:56 AM

Looks like a sandbass. Never the less, nice trip and congrats on your first Stripers.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Brazos below Possum Kingdom 11/15 - 11/16/15 05:07 AM

Awesome post. Thanks for sharing. cheers
Posted By: jasoniam

Re: Brazos below Possum Kingdom 11/15 - 11/16/15 12:42 PM

Looks awesome!! We will be camping there this weekend Friday night and Saturday if ya care to join!! Good job!!

Re: Brazos below Possum Kingdom 11/15 - 11/16/15 12:57 PM

Are you camping at the park area right below the Dam on Red Bluff Road ? I saw the picnic tables, but wasn't sure if overnight camping was allowed. Looks like a nice area.
Posted By: jasoniam

Re: Brazos below Possum Kingdom 11/15 - 11/16/15 01:55 PM

i THINK WE ARE CAMPING RIGHT THERE UNDER THE 16 BRIDGE BUT NOT SURE WE WILL PROBABLY GET A BETTER IDEA ONCE WE GET THERE OR IF ANYONE HAS INPUT PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!

Re: Brazos below Possum Kingdom 11/15 - 11/17/15 01:42 AM

Just FYI: I checked the BRA website and the spot next to the fishery on red bluff road is free to use, first come first served, free to camp overnight .. no elec or water hookup just basic tent camping. However, they have a super nice and clean restroom there.

-good luck
Posted By: Possumkingdomtackle

Re: Brazos below Possum Kingdom 11/15 - 11/17/15 01:59 AM

I love it down there!
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Brazos below Possum Kingdom 11/15 - 11/17/15 02:40 AM

nice pictures

yes you can camp there
its awesome
Posted By: B_Rod

Re: Brazos below Possum Kingdom 11/15 - 11/17/15 03:12 AM

Great stretch if river, and where I learned to kayak fish (thanks to Shane Davies). Thanks for sharing your first trip down there. Brings back memories... thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum