Texas Fishing Forum

Wheeler, a decent day

Posted By: Brad R

Wheeler, a decent day - 11/15/15 12:12 AM

I actually like this cooler weather and it seemed to get colder as the day went on. I guess the pick up in the wind accounted for a wind chill effect.

I ended up with 6 bass, 3 of decent size including a pretty solid 4 pounder I nabbed out from the island. J.J. and I drop shotted the area thoroughly but there really wasn't any discernible pattern where you could expect to catch several bass in one location. Just drifting fishy spots seemed to be the best approach, hope you run across one.

Hmm? I "get" the really small #4, #2, and #1 or 1/0 hooks for drop shotting and they work well. But, I really enjoyed fishing all day with a 3/0 that I got from local Rivera Tackle. These are EWG hooks with a swivel on top and one of those pinch grips to attach a separate line down to a sinker. Very nice. He has some really big ones though I only ordered up to 4/0s. I'll buy some more of these to Texas Rig some larger worms, fish them close to the bottom.

I have been using 4 lbs. test cheap line down to the sinker so that it breaks off and I save the hooks. It worked well today. I finally broke off my hook on my last cast as I was heading in for the day. Called it quits.

Brad
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Wheeler, a decent day - 11/15/15 06:09 PM

Sounds like a lot better end to your day. I typically get a birdnest on my last cast of the day with 50# braid!
Posted By: bert

Re: Wheeler, a decent day - 11/16/15 02:47 PM

What were the water temps Brad?
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Wheeler, a decent day - 11/16/15 03:58 PM

Bert,

I believe the other guys with the electronics said 65 degrees. Brett had it at 64.8.

With the air temps beginning in the 50s and then the breeze making it seem cooler as the day went on, I know when I put my hand in the water, it almost felt luke warm.

Anyway . . . it is slowly getting colder!

Brad
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum