Texas Fishing Forum

Arlington report; Fishing this weekend - - - plans?

Posted By: Brad R

Arlington report; Fishing this weekend - - - plans? - 11/11/15 12:52 PM

I wrote Rick telling him that I fished Lake Arlington last weekend. I admittedly know little about the lake so I "defaulted" to the dam fishing along the rip rap, caught a few very small bass. The lake is shallow and featureless, little vegetation. I know there are big bass caught out there . . . but I'd never go back even though it is close by.

I would equate it with Marine Creek which is also shallow, has big bass but mostly small ones, shallow, etc. Marine Creek is closer for me if I need or want to stay close.

So, this weekend, I want to hit Wheeler Branch again, fish the island, the dam, the vegetation line between the boat launch and the dam, maybe the cove with the standing timber.

Saturday looks to be the best day with winds around 12 mph. Sunday shows big winds coming in. Friday would even be better, wind wise, but I will likely go Saturday.

Anyone making plans?

Brad
Posted By: John Stockman

Re: Arlington report; Fishing this weekend - - - plans? - 11/11/15 01:10 PM

Arlington is the complete and total opposite of Marine Creek. Just saying. Arlington is not a lake you can just go once and even begin to learn anything.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Arlington report; Fishing this weekend - - - plans? - 11/11/15 03:41 PM

John, I agree on the fishing aspects of it as it relates to success. The Lake Arlington regulars seem to do good on it.

In a Grande Bass kayak tournament, it seems like the "big fish" award went to a man with a 24" bass or something huge like that.

Again, I had to "default" to the dam knowing absolutely nothing about best fishing spots. And, it got windy limiting my time scouting around that end of the lake.

I think I might have done better if I could have found some drop offs, structure, etc.

I was never in much more than 6 feet of water as I recall.

Brad
Posted By: pontiactech

Re: Arlington report; Fishing this weekend - - - plans? - 11/11/15 08:14 PM

Marine Creek has 30ft of water in it's deepest part and over by some ledges it's over 18ft deep
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum