Texas Fishing Forum

Private Water Fishing club

Posted By: chas1

Private Water Fishing club - 11/05/15 03:34 PM

Is Private Water Fishing club worth the investment, its a little pricey if the fishing is not great,
the Cleburne lake is the only one I am close to.
Rough creek requires 2 person per outting ,so that one is out for me
Posted By: bert

Re: Private Water Fishing club - 11/05/15 06:27 PM

I looked in to this and if I were a trophy bass chaser with money to burn it would make sense otherwise to me it is a waste. Now if the facility offered catfish, crappie or sand bass too so I could catch table fare it would make it worthwhile but I have yet to see one of those in the managed lakes.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Private Water Fishing club - 11/05/15 07:15 PM

Phototex might chime in as he is an active member.

And, I believe there is a thread up in the Bass Fishing related to Private Lakes and it was discussed within the last week or so. Check that out.

I fished with Phototex as a guest up in Oklahoma back in September. We arrived along with a cold front, did okay at the first small lake but the sudden cold had slowed them down, then fished until dark and did better on a larger, but relatively "unmanaged" lake by our cabin. The next day, we fished until noon on that second lake and caught quite a few up to 4 pounds or so as I recall.

Pure Florida genetics, as I recall, and it could really throw your senses off. I'd hook into a 16" 2 lbs. bass that would fight like a 5 pounder.

Then, a week or so later, Phototex went to one of the east Texas lakes and caught some huge fish, then subsequent trips were also really good for him with really big bass.

The guys up in the Bass forum did a pretty good job laying out the pros and cons on the actual costs. There are some savings that might go unnoticed.

Brad
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Private Water Fishing club - 11/05/15 11:09 PM

I'm in my 2nd year and rarely fish public water any longer. I just fished the Cleburne lake with my 6 yr old daughter last Sunday. She now asks me to make reservations when she gets the desire to go. She loves fishing off the dock and catching perch.

In just the past 2 weeks I've noticed another group of threads where guys are complaining about on water confrontations with boaters, other kayakers, people on the bank, skiers, etc. I make a reservation and know I have a lake to myself for the whole time I'm there. It cost me $50 (at Cleburne) to take my daughter fishing from daybreak to noon. (It's free for her) By comparison we have tickets reserved for the Peanuts movie next Sunday and that's $25. It's cheap entertainment and like I said, I never see a soul.

If I were more selfish I'd never give a review because the more members, the greater chance a given body of water will be booked when I want to go. But the guys that run the club are first class. Each time something comes up on their forum, the way they handle things is impressive. For example, I've come to learn most days blocked out on the calendar are not days someone is fishing, they are blackout days to control pressure. If a storm pops up, it's windy outside r other weather issue, you don't have to fish a reserved day and they won't charge you.

It's worth every dime in my mind.
Posted By: Palovik

Re: Private Water Fishing club - 11/06/15 01:12 PM

If you want to go sometime.e let me know. It is expensive, but is nice to have privacy while fishing.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Private Water Fishing club - 11/06/15 05:19 PM

I have been lucky enough to go as a members guest.

Hes a friend of mine and has fished a good number of the lakes.

Here is the deal, its nice to have place to yourself and know you have a chance of catching a nice fish. Likely a better chance than if your on public waters.

However that being said its still fishing, this is not high fence fishing, no shooting fish in a barrel, you still gotta catch em!

Its been well discussed in the bass section recently as pointed out.
Posted By: Jerry Hamon

Re: Private Water Fishing club - 11/06/15 05:27 PM

I love fishing my private waters. I might not if I had to pay.
Posted By: spy231

Re: Private Water Fishing club - 11/06/15 07:20 PM

My wife works at Rough Creek Lodge. I have fished out there several times and plan to go again soon. I dont know what becoming a member of a private fishing club, but I think you can pay $30 for a day pass at Rough Creek Lodge and fish, go to their driving range, tomahawk throwing, zip lining, tennis courts, etc.
If you did not want to pay a big fee for a fishing club, but just wanted to fish it every once in a while that might be an option.
Posted By: salex

Re: Private Water Fishing club - 11/12/15 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: spy231
My wife works at Rough Creek Lodge. I have fished out there several times and plan to go again soon. I dont know what becoming a member of a private fishing club, but I think you can pay $30 for a day pass at Rough Creek Lodge and fish, go to their driving range, tomahawk throwing, zip lining, tennis courts, etc.
If you did not want to pay a big fee for a fishing club, but just wanted to fish it every once in a while that might be an option.

The pricing information about using the facilities at Rough Creek Lodge is incorrect. Please call the Baretta Room at Rough Creek to get current pricing. I called my contact at Rough Creek they were surprised about the mis-information and wanted to know who the girlfriend was. The pricing is substantially more than $30. It is hard to got to a movie, have a popcorn and a coke for $30.
Posted By: Bass Art

Re: Private Water Fishing club - 11/13/15 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: salex
It is hard to got to a movie, have a popcorn and a coke for $30.

Not where I live. We do it all the time for considerably less.
Posted By: salex

Re: Private Water Fishing club - 11/28/15 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass Art
Originally Posted By: salex
It is hard to got to a movie, have a popcorn and a coke for $30.

Not where I live. We do it all the time for considerably less.

Your right, my wife and I just caught a 11:20 AM matinee movie, split a popcorn and split a coke for $26. Next week we may splurge and hit a night movie! grin
Posted By: Bass Art

Re: Private Water Fishing club - 11/30/15 01:28 AM

You can catch a matinee at the outlet mall in Terrell with a coke and all you can eat popcorn for less than $20 for two.

I'm still weighing the costs/benefits of the private lakes membership vs. keeping my bass boat and fishing public lakes. If I didn't enjoy the boat as much as I do, I would probably get rid of it and go the membership route. But I like fishing in the winter and the boat is safer than the kayak when the water is cold. And I'm getting older......
Posted By: Angler's Marine

Re: Private Water Fishing club - 12/04/15 01:17 AM

I checked into a fishing club and it was over $500 for the membership for the 1st year plus it was like $85 per day to fish. You got to be a rich man. I think i will just fish public water.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum