Texas Fishing Forum

LBJ grasslands

Posted By: dbltea

LBJ grasslands - 10/27/15 06:37 PM

Anyone been out to Grasslands lately? Just curious of what the water levels are especially Windmill, Clear and Rhodes and road conditions. According to the FS website they are back open except a few trails up around Cottonwood. Thanks
Posted By: fearthebeard86

Re: LBJ grasslands - 10/31/15 03:03 AM

I have been fishing the grasslands alot lately. Mainly clear and black creek lake. The water is at the level it needs to be and as far as clarity, it's been great. With that being said, this rain has probably messed that up. I plan on going to clear lake tomorrow and will let you know what it is like.
Posted By: davidsonbasser

Re: LBJ grasslands - 11/09/15 02:55 AM

Recent rains has alot of the water out there a little stained, none what I would call chocolate milk though. Windmill was actually probably the clearest, it had about two foot vis. Its level was plenty full too. Rhodes was a bit stained a few days back and its water level was good too, hoping this year Rhodes will stay at a moderate level. After being low for three years in a row I am glad it filled back up last year.
Posted By: MVRider

Re: LBJ grasslands - 11/09/15 10:46 PM

I've never fished the grasslands. I was able to find one launch location on the FS site. Any recommendations would be great.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: LBJ grasslands - 11/10/15 02:06 AM

Where are these grasslands you guys speak of?
Posted By: SpiderJig

Re: LBJ grasslands - 11/10/15 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Rhino68W
Its the place I told you about in Decatur/Alvord.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: LBJ grasslands - 11/10/15 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: SpiderJig
Originally Posted By: Rhino68W
Its the place I told you about in Decatur/Alvord.

Yeah I'm going to need a Google maps link or something lol
Posted By: charlief1

Re: LBJ grasslands - 11/10/15 04:26 AM

Originally Posted By: MVRider
I've never fished the grasslands. I was able to find one launch location on the FS site. Any recommendations would be great.

Used to hunt there but never fished it.

The LBJ National Grasslands are a national park/preserve and you should be able to look it up. It's not 1 big place but a bunch of little areas that are broken up between private property. There are large sections but there's also small ones.
Posted By: cchoww

Re: LBJ grasslands - 11/10/15 02:10 PM

I fished Black Creek a couple of times, a few years back and caught a good amount of bass but no size but this was before the big drought. I also fished Clear Lake as well, had a lot of submerged vegetation. I duck hunted out there more than I fished it. So keep in mind duck season started and it gets real busy there on Clear Lake and some of the other ponds. Black Creek is closed to hunting and should be fine.
Posted By: davidsonbasser

Re: LBJ grasslands - 11/11/15 07:33 AM

Right now Clear lake, Cottonwood, and Black creek seem to be doing good. All three of these lakes have paved boat ramp for jon boat sized rigs. Warning for clear lake as someone else mentioned, duck hunters are present. Just be respectful. The creeks have been good to me seems as though the bass are chasing baitfish up into them right about now. Cranks and small spinners on Clear and Cottonwood lake. I didnt have any luck at Black creek, my advice is to fish the back side, which the turn-off is off of old decatur road. Big tree hanging over the road at the crest of a hill, green gate...really can't miss it. The back side has two feeder creeks that form a peninsula. Though I didnt have any luck two guys were there, each fishing the creeks on either side. I would hear one holler and would glance over to see him taking a photo of a bass, assume he was txting the pic to his buddy on the other side. I bet they caught about 15 bass in the 30 mins I was there. Not sure what they were using, didn't want to intrude. One of the bass they caught looked decent sized though, I'd guess about 4 pounds. Fished Rhodes lake two days ago, had no luck either. I'm partial to Rhodes because thats where I caught my PB at, it doesnt get quite as much pressure as Cottonwood and Black creek do.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum