Texas Fishing Forum

First DFW Area Yak Striper Trip

Posted By: wellRed

First DFW Area Yak Striper Trip - 10/22/15 02:02 PM

I used to fish for striper on Texoma out of my bay boat a few years back, but I am in a KC12 these days. Still new to kayaking, trips so far have been down in the marsh. I am looking for some good areas for a beginner to target striper, preferably in a river or smaller body of water given my inexperience in the boat. I have heard good things about the Brazos, but know very little about where to launch, strategy, bait, etc. Looking to go sometime in the next couple of weeks.

- Matt
Posted By: bert

Re: First DFW Area Yak Striper Trip - 10/22/15 02:30 PM

My suggestion would be to call Shane Davies and book a trip on the area of the Brazos you want to target, you will learn more in one trip with him than 6 months of going one recommendations.

Re: First DFW Area Yak Striper Trip - 10/22/15 02:35 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Bert, I will look him up and line up a trip out that way. Any other suggestions close to town?
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: First DFW Area Yak Striper Trip - 10/22/15 04:44 PM

PM sent

Re: First DFW Area Yak Striper Trip - 10/22/15 05:47 PM

I like to hit Ray Hubbard for sandbass and hybrids if that is what you are looking for Tawakoni has some stripers in it but that is mostly sandbass and hybrids too. For true striper lakes you pretty much have to hit the chain of lakes on the brazos, the brazos or Texoma.

Re: First DFW Area Yak Striper Trip - 10/22/15 06:19 PM

Thanks again Bert!
Posted By: Cowtown Kid

Re: First DFW Area Yak Striper Trip - 10/23/15 12:19 AM

Bert is right about going with Shane Davies. I have learned so much fishing with Shane. A few months ago I called him to see if he had am afternoon open and he worked me in. I showed up at 4 PM we hit the river and before dark I had caught over 50 bass. I have since fished below Lake Whitney about 12 times and a thankful I made that afternoon trip with Shane. He will put you on the fish.
Good Luck and maybe we will see you on the Brazos some day.

texas
Posted By: Bass Art

Re: First DFW Area Yak Striper Trip - 10/23/15 12:30 AM

Matt, the Red River below Texoma has a good population of stripers. I have caught them immediately below the dam, and as far down stream at the ATV park on Hwy 78 north of Bonham. I haven't kayaked the river yet, but I plan to this coming spring. There are a few guys on here that have kayaked the Red. Maybe they will chime in.
Posted By: Striper Lifer

Re: First DFW Area Yak Striper Trip - 10/23/15 08:45 PM

I've fished the Red River up close to Denison Dam about 15-20 times since the flood. You can still catch there, especially if you net some shad. There is quite a bit of surface action just as the sun comes up and the bait starts running around. We've caught on topwaters but plastics produce better (3"-4" cocahoes, sassy's, money minnows). Better area is a bit down river, but it can happen anywhere. The last few trips have been a little less productive, but still getting 8-10 striper each, normal size is between 16"-22". Roger caught a 34" beast out there a couple of weeks ago, but generally not been getting many longer fish.

If you stay long enough for the generator release to start, you may have a chance at a better fish. I did that a few times right before Labor Day and was well rewarded with many 25"+ fish. It is fast water though, with guide boats and bankers to contend with. It can be a little stressful.

The launch is easy, right off the bank on the Ok side. Walk it first and try to stay out of the deep sand. You can drive right down to the water.

Re: First DFW Area Yak Striper Trip - 10/26/15 03:44 PM

What time does the generator let loose? I was hoping to go this weekend, but it looks like weather will stink again. I am guessing all this rain will complicate things for that area as well.

Thanks!
Posted By: charlief1

Re: First DFW Area Yak Striper Trip - 10/26/15 05:19 PM

Whitney's above conservation level now and with the next rain I'd bet they'll open the gates and the fish will start running heavy. This week should be ok by Wednesday but if the rain hits like they're talking about, you'll need to wait a week or so.
Posted By: Striper Lifer

Re: First DFW Area Yak Striper Trip - 10/26/15 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: wellRed
What time does the generator let loose? I was hoping to go this weekend, but it looks like weather will stink again. I am guessing all this rain will complicate things for that area as well.

Thanks!

The link below has the best info available. Since the flood, the scheduled times have been pretty accurate. I don't think this last rain had much impact. The lake is up about a foot since last Thursday, but is still 2+ feet low.

http://www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/power/hydropower.html#DENI

Re: First DFW Area Yak Striper Trip - 10/27/15 03:31 PM

Looks like Sunday may be clearing up a bit. I am thinking of making a run to the Red to try my hand. Anyone interested? Will still need to watch the weather close but a little overcast with little to no wind might be good with the moving water.

Re: First DFW Area Yak Striper Trip - 10/27/15 03:45 PM

Make sure you have a Texas and Oklahoma fishing license, the Okies think if your feet are in the water you are in Oklahoma.

Re: First DFW Area Yak Striper Trip - 10/29/15 04:11 PM

Weather is looking better and better for Sunday, anyone up for meeting up out there?
Posted By: Mark Ray

Re: First DFW Area Yak Striper Trip - 10/30/15 11:53 PM

Cooper
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum