Texas Fishing Forum

Helix or Elite

Posted By: CPR

Helix or Elite - 10/07/15 05:13 PM

Looking for help I run an hds7 and hds8 on my big boat and I'm new new to kayaking. I'm looking at the lowrance elite or the hummingbird Helix for my pro angler kayak. Both with GPS and down imaging. Or getting another 2D transducer and running my hds7 2d only.any help would be welcome about batterys ect,ect. Main usage lakes big ponds cats, crappie and maybe bass in the future. Thanks in advance
Posted By: Jason Delfraisse

Re: Helix or Elite - 10/07/15 05:18 PM

They are all great! I run a 9ah sealed deep cycle battery and the helix unit I have can run all day no problems. When I had a lowrance it was same thing...personal preference is probably key here.
Posted By: Striper Lifer

Re: Helix or Elite - 10/07/15 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: CPR
Looking for help I run an hds7 and hds8 on my big boat and I'm new new to kayaking. I'm looking at the lowrance elite or the hummingbird Helix for my pro angler kayak. Both with GPS and down imaging. Or getting another 2D transducer and running my hds7 2d only.any help would be welcome about batterys ect,ect. Main usage lakes big ponds cats, crappie and maybe bass in the future. Thanks in advance

I'd buy the 2D xdcr and use what you have. Assuming you run an LSS2 with the HDS units, you'll may miss the SI tho. I have a 998HDSI on mine and move the head unit only to the boat when I take it out (XDCR, GPS, power cable on both).
Posted By: The Ninja

Re: Helix or Elite - 10/09/15 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Jason Delfraisse
They are all great! I run a 9ah sealed deep cycle battery and the helix unit I have can run all day no problems. When I had a lowrance it was same thing...personal preference is probably key here.

I have Helix 5 SI. And run it on a 5ah deep cycle battery. fish all day np.

Re: Helix or Elite - 10/09/15 04:54 PM

Thanks I think I'm going to fish out of it awhile and get use to the boat. Went out today on west end of lewisville 1time fishing out of it 10/15 fow approx. 9 crappie and a bunch of baby bass on a jig l, but no keepers. Went 4 miles round trip lots of fun.
Posted By: Carver

Re: Helix or Elite - 10/09/15 06:38 PM

Welcome and Congrats on the Pro Angler. You won't be disappointed.

If you run side imaging the battery life will drop by 40%. The side imaging is great for crappie fishing.

you will need to go to 12 AH for full day trips.

Re: Helix or Elite - 10/10/15 10:36 PM

Just GPS 2d and maybe down imaging
Posted By: chads

Re: Helix or Elite - 10/11/15 04:36 PM

I just bought the elite 4 for my kayak. if you get one before Nov. 1st the lawrance units have a rebate offer giving you an insight pro map chip worth $100.. this sold me over the helix .

Re: Helix or Elite - 10/11/15 11:38 PM

Thank u

Re: Helix or Elite - 10/11/15 11:43 PM

I'm just not sur I need a hummingbird or a lowrance hammer
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Helix or Elite - 10/12/15 05:41 AM

Originally Posted By: chads
I just bought the elite 4 for my kayak. if you get one before Nov. 1st the lawrance units have a rebate offer giving you an insight pro map chip worth $100.. this sold me over the helix .

I just upgraded from Elite 4 dsi gps combo to Elite 4 Chirp, (dsi and sonar) Chartplotter with Insight pro map and screen cover. Academy has had them on sale for 249. My only complaint with former unit was the small gauge wiring. The newer units have definitely been beefed up on that end, as well as what looks like much better connectors. The insight maps are much better than the maps from the earlier model as well. I really considered the Helix but didn't feel like learning a whole new system at this time. If the screen quality is on par or better than the Elite 4 I originally had in dsi, I will be happy. Haven't had a chance to really tune it in yet. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them these days.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Helix or Elite - 10/12/15 01:44 PM

Guess I need to figure out which one I like. I will probably get one of these for Christmas this year.
Posted By: chads

Re: Helix or Elite - 10/12/15 05:05 PM

the helix don't have any depth lines in their maps unless you buy a chip and the Lowrance does without the chip. so when you buy the Helix you will need to add another $100 just for better mapping ..
Posted By: B_Rod

Re: Helix or Elite - 10/14/15 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: chads
the helix don't have any depth lines in their maps unless you buy a chip and the Lowrance does without the chip. so when you buy the Helix you will need to add another $100 just for better mapping ..
Actually, $125 for Lakemaster and $150 for Navionics, at least at Cabelas this week. Just ordered a Helix 7 for my Outback and the map chip is my next buy.
Posted By: Kayak_and_Crossbones

Re: Helix or Elite - 10/14/15 01:20 PM

I don't have a lot to add to the conversation other than I have been running a Helix 5 since Feb and absolutely love it. Good price, right size for a kayak, runs all day off of a deer feeder battery. No complaints.
Posted By: yakintime

Re: Helix or Elite - 10/14/15 03:44 PM

FYI - Lowrance has just had a price reduction on the Elite series 5 and 7
Posted By: g.a.gonzales

Re: Helix or Elite - 10/14/15 03:49 PM

CPR, I would seriously consider a Garmin echomap series Unit. I have been fishing with Lowrance for a long time. I upgraded to a Garmin echomap series and the DownScan/Sonar is OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!!!!!! They also come standard with 1 foot contours for MOST North Texas lakes. So for the Garmin units, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY A MAP CHIP!!!! It's awesome!!!!

PM me if you have any questions about the unit. More elite series pros are switching to Garmin every week.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum