Texas Fishing Forum

Anchor trolleys on both sides of yak?

Posted By: bFROG5

Anchor trolleys on both sides of yak? - 09/23/15 02:33 AM

any of yall use anchor trolleys on both sides of the yak??
Posted By: Mark Ray

Re: Anchor trolleys on both sides of yak? - 09/23/15 02:45 AM

I have. It can be useful if you are a crappie fisherman and need to hold on a brushpile but still move around the pile. I'm talking about using two anchors of course.
Posted By: pelican

Re: Anchor trolleys on both sides of yak? - 09/23/15 03:36 AM

I do, wouldn't be without them.
Posted By: Fishin'Mark

Re: Anchor trolleys on both sides of yak? - 09/23/15 03:37 AM

I have them on both sides. Makes it easier to position in the wind when I'm trying to target a particular piece of cover or structure, or blanket a high probability area without drifting off of it.
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Anchor trolleys on both sides of yak? - 09/23/15 10:18 AM

Yep :-) The trolleys on my last yak ran half way down each side.
No drill trolley is what ive been using.
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Anchor trolleys on both sides of yak? - 09/23/15 10:19 AM

Yep :-) The trolleys on my last yak ran half way down each side.
No drill trolley is what ive been using.
Posted By: JOED214

Re: Anchor trolleys on both sides of yak? - 09/23/15 10:45 AM

Absolutely, I rig all of my boats with trolleys on both sides. thumb
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Anchor trolleys on both sides of yak? - 09/23/15 11:32 AM

I have just one anchor trolley and I need to take a photo of it and post it since it is a 2 Harken pulley system mounted to stock kayak tracks (Slayer Propel 10) forward and back, no holes drilled, and a Zig Zag cleat near my hand to secure its position.

But, for everyone who has two, let me ask a question: Since a single anchor out can cause a kayak to swing, certainly one with the anchor pulling off a bit from the absolute bow or stern line positioning, once the vessel swings into the preferred spot, couldn't the second anchor be dropped straight over the opposite side and simply fastened to a second Zig Zac cleat? And, couldn't it likely be a rather small anchor since it isn't doing much work?

Curious.

Brad
Posted By: pelican

Re: Anchor trolleys on both sides of yak? - 09/23/15 11:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Brad R
I have just one anchor trolley and I need to take a photo of it and post it since it is a 2 Harken pulley system mounted to stock kayak tracks (Slayer Propel 10) forward and back, no holes drilled, and a Zig Zag cleat near my hand to secure its position.

But, for everyone who has two, let me ask a question: Since a single anchor out can cause a kayak to swing, certainly one with the anchor pulling off a bit from the absolute bow or stern line positioning, once the vessel swings into the preferred spot, couldn't the second anchor be dropped straight over the opposite side and simply fastened to a second Zig Zac cleat? And, couldn't it likely be a rather small anchor since it isn't doing much work?

Curious.

Brad

That's exactly what I use mine for while tight line fishing for whisker fish. I drop the second anchor as the bow swings around. The anchor trollies allows your anchor points yo be very close to the ends of your yak which works best IMO.
Posted By: Todd™

Re: Anchor trolleys on both sides of yak? - 09/23/15 02:16 PM

Both sides are a must for me. Wind push kayaks so they are perpendicular to it. If I'm working a bank, depending on wind direction I need it on both sides for my drift sock so I can face the right direction. If I'm drifting a flat and the sun is in my eyes I can switch sides to change the way I face. If I need to stake out and cast at something from a certain direction I'll need them on both sides for that too. One side I have it full length of the yak and the other is half yak. I pretty much never have it anchored from the front because I don't want a fish to tangle with my anchor line when reeling it in.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Anchor trolleys on both sides of yak? - 09/23/15 04:23 PM

I only have one on my right side, but I do need another for the left. Might be investing in that soon haha.
Posted By: Linecaster

Re: Anchor trolleys on both sides of yak? - 09/23/15 08:50 PM

I only fly fish from my kayak and have an anchor trolly on the right side and an anchor dropping from the bow controlled on my left side. I only use it for holding position if the wind is is swinging the kayak or if I want to face into the wind.
Posted By: AlexG

Re: Anchor trolleys on both sides of yak? - 09/24/15 03:09 AM

yes I do and I use them both
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Anchor trolleys on both sides of yak? - 09/24/15 09:23 AM

Always
Posted By: Carver

Re: Anchor trolleys on both sides of yak? - 09/24/15 05:25 PM

I Always run two.
Posted By: bFROG5

Re: Anchor trolleys on both sides of yak? - 10/12/15 08:37 PM

Thanks for the input Ill have to invest in a 2nd one
Posted By: John Stockman

Re: Anchor trolleys on both sides of yak? - 10/13/15 04:57 AM

I only use one. Guess I'm being stubborn. Almost every time on water wish I had 2. Not for 2 anchors, just better placement.
Posted By: B_Rod

Re: Anchor trolleys on both sides of yak? - 10/14/15 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: John Stockman
I only use one. Guess I'm being stubborn. Almost every time on water wish I had 2.
Same here. It's on my list of things to do, but I just never seem to get to it. hammer
Posted By: Jason Delfraisse

Re: Anchor trolleys on both sides of yak? - 10/15/15 09:47 PM

I think I'm on the loosing side here but I only have one...being able to move the anchor to the very front or very back of the kayak eliminates the need for two imo...maybe someone could explain this whole having two thing to me?
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Anchor trolleys on both sides of yak? - 10/16/15 12:09 AM

Jason, it is because in most cases, the anchor line cannot be centered exactly off the bow or stern, but a foot or more off to one side or the other. So, with that configuration, a kayak will swing back and forth at least a bit but often a whole lot.

A second reason is in circumstances when the wind and current are at odds, both acting on the vessel through different vectors. This can cause some odd movement.

But, I think most do it for the first reason.

When you drop two anchors spaced well apart, your vessel completes a triangle which is much more stable, sort of like a wide leg position in many sports to secure a good foundation.

Brad
Posted By: Cudadude

Re: Anchor trolleys on both sides of yak? - 10/16/15 12:26 PM

I'm a believer of come big or don't come at all. Lol. I have mine setup with three. cheers
Left side has two starting at my seat one goes to front other starting at seat goes to back and right side the length of kayak. Two reasons for double on one side, to anchor at to points when stump fishing the other to run drift socks to allow side ways drifting.
Posted By: fishinpreacher

Re: Anchor trolleys on both sides of yak? - 10/18/15 04:36 AM

I had 2 early on but soon went to one on the right side. Full length with best pulleys I could find at West Marine. Mariner Sails also has great pulleys. The main use of my trolley is for my stakeout pole, but I do occasionally use an anchor. My trolley is full length so I can swing my yak 180 degrees.

I use this cam grip for my anchor line so I can do a quick release if needed.

I use this zigzag to lock my trolley line in place.

I use an old laundry detergent bottle to store my anchor line and also for a float on the end of the anchor line.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum