Texas Fishing Forum

Finding a small leak

Posted By: DataHawk

Finding a small leak - 09/21/15 11:42 PM

Last time I went fishing there was a bit of water in the yak but figured it was from rains earlier in the week. Today I was sitting in water (Old Town Vapor sit in) after 6 hours.
Now I figure if water is coming in somewhere then it should go out same place. Any harm in filling it to the water line with water and looking for a slow leak? The bottom is very scarred up from a rough boat ramp and river fishing with sunken trees so just looking for a scrape isn't going to do it.
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Finding a small leak - 09/22/15 12:05 AM

hmmm Do you store your yak outside? U sure u dont have a leaky hatch?

If not, look 1st at all the scupper holes both top & bottom. Press down with your hands around them. Check the seat pan REALLY well.
Try looking from the outside 1st in the dark with a flashlight on the inside.

I noticed that small cracks can only been seen under certain light conditions. You may only be able to locate it by taking it to the water and have someone sit on it while you wade around looking on the inside with the hatches opened up. Your local shop may want to take a look at it before you try this last method so, give them a call 1st. When all else fails. Support the yak REALLY WELL then, put the water hose inside the hull and turn it on. You'll want to have assistance for this one.

IMPORTANT!!!

DO NOT DO THIS IF YOUR YAK IS NOT SUPPORTED WELL. A good shop can & will also help you with any warranty you may have. They also have maga skills when it comes time to weld up or patch thumb

You have options when it comes to patching.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Finding a small leak - 09/22/15 12:46 AM

Are you sure the water is not dripping in from the paddle. Sine you have a sit in kayak, there is no harm in putting some water in the kayak. You probable don't need to fill it to the water line. Most likely 1/8" will be more than plenty. If you have a garage, that would be the best place to do it as it has a smoth dry floor. The most likely spot for a crack is underneath the seat. Good luck.
Posted By: bert

Re: Finding a small leak - 09/22/15 02:05 PM

Good suggestions so far, also check any rigging that is below or at the waterline to see if a rivet or screw is leaking.
Posted By: DataHawk

Re: Finding a small leak - 09/23/15 02:37 AM

Filled it half full of water and found it, at the very back, where it drags on the boat ramp. Very small leak, tryed the Flexi Seal they advertise on TV, worked on a leak on the roof so will see if it peels off or sticks. Once it dried it looked like it would stick real good.
Posted By: Mark Ray

Re: Finding a small leak - 09/23/15 02:41 AM

Upon finding a small leak in your kayak:
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum