Texas Fishing Forum

whats your favorite place to Kayak

Posted By: Aquiles

whats your favorite place to Kayak - 09/08/15 12:04 AM

Hey guys just got my first kayak , I was wondering if you would tell me your favorite lake or creek to fish , I want my maiden voyage to be awesome . I've heard next Saturday the weather is supposed to be great so I want to spend the day out fishing .
Posted By: Cowtown Kid

Re: whats your favorite place to Kayak - 09/08/15 12:54 AM

My favorite place is on the Brazos below Lake Whitney. Locally my favorite DFW place is the Fort Worth Nature Center.
Congratulations on getting your first kayak! Hope to see you on the water soon!

texas
Posted By: jasoniam

Re: whats your favorite place to Kayak - 09/08/15 01:06 AM

congrats bro on the kayak ...all I have kayaked at is white rock and Bachman ...I won't be a great input but how bout we vote and have a kayak gtg just to fish I'm lookin to get out and find a good spot to check out Saturday..... lol....
if you need any help let me know!!!
Posted By: Matty

Re: whats your favorite place to Kayak - 09/08/15 02:43 AM

Favorite place ... Ouachita River near Mount Ida, AR.
Local place ... South Lake in Farmersville.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: whats your favorite place to Kayak - 09/08/15 01:22 PM

The gulf of mexico. Hands down. Distant second is the pacific.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: whats your favorite place to Kayak - 09/08/15 01:29 PM

The Trinity River in Fort Worth is always fun. Decent fish with a lot of fight in them. I am sure Dallas has some good areas on the river as well though.
Posted By: Hawkpuppy 1

Re: whats your favorite place to Kayak - 09/08/15 01:54 PM

Brazos below either Whitney or PK, second would be Big Meadow Resivoir in Colorado
Posted By: Todd™

Re: whats your favorite place to Kayak - 09/08/15 02:22 PM

Is this your very first time out in a kayak? What's your favorite place to bank fish that you always wanted to get better access? How about start there. Brazos is a beautiful place with great fishing but it might have some hazards for a first time out. If they start producing power it can make it hard for the most experienced paddler to get back up stream. Best to start slow and easy. Fish your local pond if they allow access. Look on here for groups going out and tag along. Best way to make a maiden voyage awesome is to keep it safe and simple.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: whats your favorite place to Kayak - 09/08/15 04:41 PM

What type of fishing are you wanting?
Posted By: Double K Outdoors

Re: whats your favorite place to Kayak - 09/08/15 07:22 PM

I got my kayak at the beginning of the year. My first time out was to a place that had very easy access. It had a ramp that you could pull your vehicle down and unload right there. It made adjusting to the kayak really easy and I didn't have to focus so much on making sure the launch went smooth. I recommend that no matter where you go, choose something with easy access and don't take all your tackle. If you dump it over, you'll lose anything not tied down.
One last thing, don't go on a day that has 20+MPH wind. Choose a day with less wind like 5-10. You don't want to have to focus on big waves while trying to adjust to the stability of a kayak.
That's my 2cents
Posted By: brazosriverrat1985

Re: whats your favorite place to Kayak - 09/08/15 08:09 PM

Below whitney. But then
That's where I live so naturally
It's Goin to be my favorite.
I also really like
The Llano and San saba
Too.
Posted By: B_Rod

Re: whats your favorite place to Kayak - 09/09/15 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: brazosriverrat1985
Below whitney. But then That's where I live...

This, but Todd was right and I also recommend your first time down there, that you go with someone who knows the river. I'm down there a lot, so give me a holler if you ever want to try it; there's a good chance I was gonna hit the river anyway.
Posted By: Grinder55

Re: whats your favorite place to Kayak - 09/09/15 09:19 PM

Copano Bay
Posted By: J Barlow

Re: whats your favorite place to Kayak - 09/09/15 09:54 PM

Brazos below Whitney for local.

Upper Illinois River in Oklahoma for away.
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: whats your favorite place to Kayak - 09/10/15 01:08 PM

BTB and offshore. Would like to try the Keys

Re: whats your favorite place to Kayak - 09/11/15 01:49 AM

Thanks for all the advice and info guys . I believe I'm going to try White Rock creek this Saturday since the weather is supposed to be so good and White Rock is just a few miles from me . I've always wanted to see how far up that creek I could go and now I have a paddle ! I believe I will try to target some nice panfish but will take along a bait caster in case I see some nice bass areas.

Re: whats your favorite place to Kayak - 09/13/15 05:49 PM

Well only ended up catching one tiny sunfish and was not able to go up the creek as far as I wanted due to a tree blocking whole creek . I thought of trying to get over it but being so new to kayaking I know I would have fallen in or turned the kayak over . One thing I really enjoyed was the friendliness of other kayakers out that day met some lovely ladies that were new to kayaking and we traded stories and compared kayaks to more experienced kayakers on the lake. All in all it was a really enjoyable day.

Re: whats your favorite place to Kayak - 09/13/15 09:03 PM

Anyone know what Rowlett creek is like right now as far as for kayaking , I heard it difficult due to the construction going on and I think I want to try it next.
Posted By: ALLANGT

Re: whats your favorite place to Kayak - 09/13/15 09:45 PM

Flats around the Skyway and Ft Desoto, Tampa Bay.
Posted By: KQT

Re: whats your favorite place to Kayak - 09/13/15 11:42 PM

Lavon and catfish. Aquiles ley me know if you want to go. Channels now blues when it cools down.
Posted By: KQT

Re: whats your favorite place to Kayak - 09/13/15 11:42 PM

Lavon and catfish. Aquiles ley me know if you want to go. Channels now blues when it cools down.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum