Texas Fishing Forum

If you have every adapted a trolling motor to a kayak please click here

Posted By: Mark Ray

If you have every adapted a trolling motor to a kayak please click here - 09/05/15 06:04 PM

I'm thinking of installing a trolling motor on my old Wilderness Ride for my FIL. It has a rudder so I was hoping I could adapt that to a trolling motor. Experienced Input, Suggestions, Wisdom, Cautionary Tales, and Wisecracks wanted.

And I already know I would have to register it. He had a bad injury at work a couple of years ago and had back surgery. He cannot paddle. He has tried out several Hobies but won't pull the trigger.
He has a bass boat but I think he would go out more often if he had a kayak too.

Thanks,
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: If you have every adapted a trolling motor to a kayak please click here - 09/05/15 07:38 PM

There are some expensive kits for installing a trolling motor rudder. I would keep it simple and install a trolling motor to the right just behind the seat. Install some rod holders just behind the seat, put some wood rods into the rod holders, screw a 2"x4" across the wood rods and the the trolling motor attaches to the 2"x4". Then remove and varnish all of the wood. It could be easily removed when not wanted. Keep the 2"x4" as low to the waterline as possible.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: If you have every adapted a trolling motor to a kayak please click here - 09/06/15 05:14 PM

Look on Youtube!
Type in trolling motor mount on kayak!
There are tons of ways to mount one and they are all there!
One video is worth a thousand words! thumb
Posted By: crabtrap

Re: If you have every adapted a trolling motor to a kayak please click here - 09/06/15 05:29 PM

For ALL TM usage, put a BigFoot (or similar) momentary switch inline with the negative wire. Use it as a deadmans switch (ie-have to be stepping on it to run). Think about this and you'll readily see the benefit.
Posted By: richg

Re: If you have every adapted a trolling motor to a kayak please click here - 09/09/15 02:16 AM

Guess you know that, if the yak hadn't been previously registered, you will have to have a MSO (manufacturers statement of origin) to get it registered.

Took me a month to get one from the kayak manufacturer because the store was of no help.

richg

p.s. I have read about some TPWD offices that didn't ask for the MSO. Not mine.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum