Texas Fishing Forum

Kayaking Dogs

Posted By: B_Rod

Kayaking Dogs - 08/27/15 03:03 AM

In honor of National Dog Day...who else has dogs that enjoy paddling?
Posted By: stewage

Re: Kayaking Dogs - 08/27/15 07:17 AM

I've not taken my dog kayaking.

He is so afraid of the water I can't even imagine what kind of freak out he would have if I took him out with me. He does, however, enjoy climbing on the kayak when I put it on the living room floor to work on it.

My next dog I am hoping to take with me on the kayak some, I will probably start it early.

Did your dog take to the kayak pretty quick? Does he ever jump out?
Posted By: JOED214

Re: Kayaking Dogs - 08/27/15 10:44 AM

Posted By: B_Rod

Re: Kayaking Dogs - 08/27/15 11:19 AM

Originally Posted By: stewage
Did your dog take to the kayak pretty quick? Does he ever jump out?
Initially, Nala's only experience with water was our back yard swimming pool, and she was terrified of it. But the first time I took her to the river, she ran right in without a thought. When she's on the river now, she spends half her time in the water and half in my kayak (or canoe), so she does jump out at times when I'd wish she didn't (she doesn't always obey my commands). And she's been known to chase wildlife on the river too, so I generally keep her tethered to my 'yak's anchor trolly, and she ends up pulling me (there's a pic below of her pulling me on the the upper Brazos recently). Lately I've been trying to give her more freedom on the river; just hope she doesn't get into any trouble. Bottom line, she still needs some work, but I find it enjoyable work.

I actually wrote a couple of pieces about her on the river for my blog.

LSC: Nala on the Brazos

LSC: Nala on the Brazos Part II

Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Kayaking Dogs - 08/27/15 12:49 PM

1dp = one dog power batteries not included frkazoid
Posted By: bert

Re: Kayaking Dogs - 08/27/15 02:54 PM

Mary with our new Mini Schnauzer he started kayaking at 12 weeks and is 15 weeks now.

[img:left][/img]
Posted By: Lmgreeri

Re: Kayaking Dogs - 08/27/15 04:51 PM

The best fishing partner I ever had. I think she liked it even more than I do if that's possible. Had to put her to sleep last year at 15 years old due to failing health. Really odd not having her in the front seat of the yak now. RIP my little fishing buddy. frown

Posted By: Superslab

Re: Kayaking Dogs - 08/27/15 09:24 PM

I take my 7 month old dog out on the boat but have yet to get her on the yak. She absolutely loves the water and I have hard time keeping her in the boat!

She is already a good fishing companion.
Posted By: Iamscubasteve

Re: Kayaking Dogs - 01/12/16 04:36 AM

I'm not from Texas but I browse this site in preparation for a Non-kayaking bass fishing trip my buddy and I take down here every year in late March. I am from Iowa and I love kayak fishing, here is a couple pics with my dog in the yak, I took a couple poles out but left most the tackle behind, this float was more for him to sniff around. laugh
Posted By: Fadedred

Re: Kayaking Dogs - 01/13/16 07:28 PM

Took my Wheaten Terrier (35lbs) out for the first time yesterday. She did OK, pretty nervous about it and almost in my lap most of the trip.
Posted By: cbag1

Re: Kayaking Dogs - 01/16/16 05:51 AM

I barely have enough room for my fat @ss and fishing junk. Can't imagine fishing with my dog onboard.
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Kayaking Dogs - 01/17/16 12:17 AM

Posted By: Bluecatkayak

Re: Kayaking Dogs - 01/17/16 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Were they catfishing??
Posted By: imkmark

Re: Kayaking Dogs - 01/17/16 02:30 PM

My Golden ( aka "Swamp Collie" ) is always up for a paddle. Gets super excited when a fish is on the line or landed
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Kayaking Dogs - 01/17/16 02:38 PM

Awesome thread! Got to love it! rockon
Posted By: Zedteamk2

Re: Kayaking Dogs - 01/20/16 02:33 AM

this is awesome... dunno if i could take my big dog out. 68lbs of dog plus me goes over the kayaks weight limit. Plus he gets a little excited too easily !
Posted By: J McCoy

Re: Kayaking Dogs - 01/21/16 06:19 PM

My dog stays in the water more than boats, I've yet to try taking him in a yak. Much like yours, he rarely obeys once he hits the water.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum