Texas Fishing Forum

Wind forecast sites

Posted By: Fisherman13

Wind forecast sites - 07/24/15 12:56 AM

I thought I would share the link to the wind forecast site I check before planning kayak outings, this helps me decide where and when to go so I don't have to battle the elements as much. Some may already know this site, if anyone has another site (link) for wind forecast feel free to share and post it here. The wind is usually the biggest deciding factor in wether or not I go somewhere especially on the big lakes.
http://www.windfinder.com/

Here is an example of what it looks like. This is Lake Lavon forecast.
Posted By: RBDavis3591

Re: Wind forecast sites - 07/24/15 01:14 AM

The problem I have been experiencing is the difference between the forecast wind conditions and the actual conditions. I have started using WindFinder Pro to see what the forecast is and local weather reports from on-site weather stations reporting the actual current conditions.

I have had to do this after getting tricked by weather forecasts that predict one thing and another actually happens. Bottom line is be prepared for the worst.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: Wind forecast sites - 07/24/15 02:16 AM

I never look at anything other than the trees. This is a cool share. Thanks.
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: Wind forecast sites - 07/24/15 02:51 AM

I have found the forecast to be off before, but most of the time they have been in the ballpark. Mother nature can never be fully predicted though.
Posted By: Bass fro chop

Re: Wind forecast sites - 07/24/15 04:35 AM

This ones good for wind.
http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?Submit=Go&sta=KHQZ&state=TX
Posted By: Todd™

Re: Wind forecast sites - 07/24/15 01:13 PM

It's not a forecast app but I like the WindAlert app for getting actual wind speeds in my area or an area I'm headed too.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: Wind forecast sites - 07/24/15 01:21 PM

Great info thank you
Posted By: Carver

Re: Wind forecast sites - 07/24/15 03:21 PM

Google "national weather service - hourly graph" and turn on wind indicators. I have been using them for 15 years with as much lusk as anyone and they are the easiest to read on the small phone screen.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php...tType=graphical
Posted By: Double K Outdoors

Re: Wind forecast sites - 07/24/15 03:27 PM

Great info guys. I use the app Weather Underground on my android phone. You can connect to tons of weather stations in the area that you will be going to and see what the forecast is and what the current conditions are. Give a lot of details which I appreciate most of the time. So far, it's been more accurate than the weather man on Fox 4 and NBC 5. I know it's going to rain before they do and the chances are way more realistic.
However, wind is probably the hardest thing to predict in Texas. There tends to be some leeway in what they say it's going to be and what it actually is. I've had several times that I planned a trip because the wind said 10-15, but when you get out on the water 10-15 turns into 15-20 or 20-25.
Make sure you understand that none of these apps are specifically designed to tell you how choppy water conditions will be on your local waters. Winds are almost always higher on the water due to the fact that there is nothing to stop the wind on water. Little to no resistance on the surface. Unless somebody puts a solar powered weather station right smack in the middle of the water... you're never going to have a 100% accurate forecast or wind speed reading.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum