Texas Fishing Forum

losing gear due to flipping

Posted By: Catfish_Hunter

losing gear due to flipping - 07/23/15 10:59 AM

Not trying to be a jerk, as I just got my first yak. Why do so many people lose alot of gear to flipping? Is it not the norm to secure all of your gear in a way that it will survive a flip?
Posted By: Justin25141

Re: losing gear due to flipping - 07/23/15 12:18 PM

Yeah it only takes one time then a person learns their lesson lol. As in myself flipping last weekend I didn't think about owning a rod leash or rod floaters until then. It's definitely a must to have floating tackle boxes, you know the Plano ones. Other then that, I can tell you it won't happen to me again. Maybe some people also don't think it won't happen to them either.
Posted By: pelican

Re: losing gear due to flipping - 07/23/15 12:27 PM

I decided I'd rather take my chances on loosing some gear than to hassle with rod leashes, floats, bungee cords etc.
So far I've been lucky.
Posted By: Catfish_Hunter

Re: losing gear due to flipping - 07/23/15 12:31 PM

I guess I'm paranoid and value my gear too much. I even put eyebolts on my cooler to allow the lid to be securely tied from popping open if flipped. All tackle will be secured and floatable.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: losing gear due to flipping - 07/23/15 12:34 PM

I hate rod leashes, so I put a little loop of line on the reel seat under my fly reels, and I have a little clip on a short line from the rod holders to secure them while in the holders. On the rare occasions that I use conventional tackle I use rod floats above the reels. I've fallen out of my kayaks a couple of times when sitting down, but never actually rolled one. Yet.
Posted By: Bass Art

Re: losing gear due to flipping - 07/23/15 12:49 PM

I leave very little out when I'm fishing. My crate has a lid and a bungee cord to keep it closed. I cut a 5" section of pool noodle and slit one side. I have one on every rod that I'm not using. It comes on and off with a simple tug, and it floats the rod and reel. The only rod that doesn't have a float on it is the one in my hand. But honestly, the only time I've turned over was in the Lower Mountain Fork river in the rapids and the falls. When I go through those areas, everything is either lashed down or inside my hull.
Posted By: Searsay

Re: losing gear due to flipping - 07/23/15 01:17 PM

a general rule for boats/kayaks - if you don't want to lose something... either tie it down or make sure it floats.. most of my rods have floats (so i don't have to worry about leashes) - the ones that don't are always leashed unless i'm using them. I tie or strap down all gear that doesn't float. I've only turtled once in my kayak - surprisingly as i was launching at a working mans tournament a month or so ago. It was only in 3 feet of water... but it was a solid test - none of my gear fell out/off of the kayak other than me smile.

Also to answer your question - people usually lose gear because they don't tie it down or have it on floats. Partially because it can be inconvenient and sometimes because they think it won't happen to them. The unexpected and mother nature has a way of making them revisit that decision.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: losing gear due to flipping - 07/23/15 01:36 PM

When you have alot of gear on the yak that your constantly using it can be annoying to have everything tied down.

Also even things that float can be lost in the dark very quickly if there is a current or wind.

With that being said, I defiantly secure more of my stuff after my first flipping incident cost 200 big ones.
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: losing gear due to flipping - 07/23/15 05:32 PM

being a newby, I've already made several tie down cords for my rods and camera. It just makes sense and doesn't take any more time thumb
Posted By: Pecros

Re: losing gear due to flipping - 07/23/15 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Catfish_Hunter
Why do so many people lose alot of gear to flipping?

1) They make enough $$ and don't care
2) They are ignorant (which a lot of new kayakers are)
3) They don't think flipping is possible.
4) They have too much junk in their kayak.

Take only what you need and tie most of it down. Get a crate with a lid if you're real worried and put floats on your rods.

Posted By: YAKaddict

Re: losing gear due to flipping - 07/23/15 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim Ford
I hate rod leashes, so I put a little loop of line on the reel seat under my fly reels, and I have a little clip on a short line from the rod holders to secure them while in the holders. On the rare occasions that I use conventional tackle I use rod floats above the reels. I've fallen out of my kayaks a couple of times when sitting down, but never actually rolled one. Yet.

Great idea!
Posted By: a lo109

Re: losing gear due to flipping - 07/23/15 07:52 PM

When I first started kayaking I was cautious. Years later I just got over confident. Last year I lost some gear due to my over confidence. Guess we just need some reminders every now and then.
Posted By: J Barlow

Re: losing gear due to flipping - 07/23/15 08:53 PM

I hate leashes!!! I generally don't worry about it too much though as I mostly fish rivers that are usually shallow and easy to retrieve lost stuff. When I am on a lake I try to keep everything except my rod tied down.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: losing gear due to flipping - 07/23/15 09:41 PM

I dont lime to fight leashes etc either. If you have a big fighting fish on the line often times you need to work all the way around the yak. In the surf they can be dangerous imo. Leashes+flailing people in the surf...not good. I have lost some gear, not a ton but enough to know it stings. I just take the risk to fight the fish that fight back. I couldnt imagine being a bass guy and casting all the time with a leash tied on or a float hanging off the grip. P.s. the little floats that Velcro in front of your reel...dont work. Hahahaha. The way I look at it is you win some you loose some. Mabey another angler will find a prize some day.
Posted By: That Possum

Re: losing gear due to flipping - 07/24/15 04:47 AM

I just ain't bright enough to learn from mistakes of others
Posted By: Double K Outdoors

Re: losing gear due to flipping - 07/24/15 03:41 PM

I keep most things tied down, but every time I've been out so far, none of my rods have leashes or floats. While I'm pretty confident that I won't overturn, I know it can happen. I take extreme caution when adjusting so that I don't turtle. I will not fish with a leash on my rod, but I will be in the near future creating rod leashes for the ones I'm not using at the time. In the plus side, most of the places I fish are 10 feet deep or less. The item that I would be most upset about would be my tackle bag. It has $100's worth of tackle that is attached to the kayak. I may try the removable pool noodle trick since I have a spare one sitting around at home.
Posted By: bFROG5

Re: losing gear due to flipping - 07/24/15 11:40 PM

i wonder what would happen if you flipped with a sonar/graph mounted on your yak?????
Posted By: pelican

Re: losing gear due to flipping - 07/25/15 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: bFROG5
i wonder what would happen if you flipped with a sonar/graph mounted on your yak?????

Your FF should fine.
Posted By: JdDurango

Re: losing gear due to flipping - 07/25/15 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Catfish_Hunter
I guess I'm paranoid and value my gear too much. I even put eyebolts on my cooler to allow the lid to be securely tied from popping open if flipped. All tackle will be secured and floatable.

Good call..protect the beer at all costs!
Posted By: TheSinistral

Re: losing gear due to flipping - 07/29/15 01:57 PM

Another consideration.... At one point I had everything tied down but it dawned on me that it would not take much to get tangled in that mess of rods, boxes, paddle leash in a flip, which by definition would be unexpected. I decided that in the event of gear loss I will mark the spot ( best as possible) and mount a salvage expedition.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: losing gear due to flipping - 07/29/15 02:07 PM

I've never flipped over but everything except the rod in my hand is secured with a rope or leash. Small cooler, 2-3 small tackle trays, 1-2 extra rods, paddle. If I do flip over all I would lose is a pair of pliers.
Posted By: HeavyLead

Re: losing gear due to flipping - 07/29/15 05:03 PM

I like to tie down or leash things that I'm not using at the moment. If it's in my hands, I don't have a leash or a float. Thinking about changing that with my phone though....
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: losing gear due to flipping - 07/29/15 05:32 PM

My phone and are my wallet are each in a Ziploc bag in my pockets.
Posted By: Carver

Re: losing gear due to flipping - 07/29/15 06:20 PM

I keep a marker buoy laying in my boat with the lead unwrapped so that it will deploy itself instantly if I should turtle.
Regardless of the wind etc. I can re-locate my unattached gear.

My cell-phone stays in a pocket on my inflatable PFD on my upper chest.

I almost never tether my gear as I should. I have been in Hobies for about 10 years now and that is one of the bad habits brought about by the confidence their stability brings.

I have been a diver for 50 years now ( SCIP certified at 14 ). but don't know if I would even bother getting wet now for anything minor. I fish wood stands a lot and don't like the idea of dealing with trot lines etc.. BUt6 with it marked well you have good chance of recovering a lot of gear with just a grappler.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum