Texas Fishing Forum

Bad day at Lavon

Posted By: Justin25141

Bad day at Lavon - 07/19/15 02:11 AM

Found out today that this fishing trip would be an expensive one when a wave caught me off guard by a bridge not too far from brockdale park. I flipped over but managed to save some gear. I was wearing my pfd which I would always do. The gear I saved was my yak attack blackpak with some soft plastics inside, paddle, Oakley sunglasses and my hat which never fell off surprisingly, Jackson water bottle, and my sandals lol. I lost my bait caster rod and reel along with my open face one, and lots of tackle unfortunately that had some good top lures in them. Sadly to say I definitely learned a lesson here, my next rod and reel will have either a leash on it or a rod floater, I am investing in some Plano waterproof boxes for sure along with some dry bags for my personal items. The worst of it was that my phone got wet, that was in the bag with my soft plastics. Always wear your pfd for sure!!! It sure was a boring paddle back to shore not fishing!

Re: Bad day at Lavon - 07/19/15 02:15 AM

Saw a lot of gar out there today as well.
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: Bad day at Lavon - 07/19/15 02:21 AM

It gets really rough on that end of the lake. I live right up the street from there I like Brockdale park but that wind is terrible this time of year. Got to watch the wind forecast and watch for a calm day to go there IMO. I been wanting to go to South Lavonia ramp and try out there since the dam offers some wind block from that south wind. Glad your ok! Sorry you lost some rods and gear.

Re: Bad day at Lavon - 07/19/15 02:47 AM

Thank you Fisherman. I've only been out there twice and the two times I've been it does seem too windy. I might try elsewhere next time for sure. Didnt even get a bite today! Definitely will take a closer look at the wind age before heading out.
Posted By: fshng84

Re: Bad day at Lavon - 07/19/15 05:33 AM

It does get windy on the lake; definitely watch the weather forecast and projected winds. Hate to hear about the lost gear; am glad you made it safely.

Fished Brockdale the other day and it was windy and rough. Went out Saturday and dealt with wind and waves (from ski boats) putting in at Lavonia.

I mainly stay close to the parks and shoreline but this time decided to go out further. Kept my pfd on and did not have any issues, was more concerned about the boaters' wakes than the wind. Posted links below.

Brockdale Video
Lavonia Video

Re: Bad day at Lavon - 07/19/15 02:22 PM

Thank you. That's what I do, I will always stay close to shore. Brockdale was very quite yesterday, I only saw one boat out there and they were far out. I'm going to try Lavonia next weekend probably if I get my rod by them that is. Every time I hear someone talking about Lavon they always they launched from Lavonia.
Posted By: wburke2010

Re: Bad day at Lavon - 07/20/15 01:59 AM

I live right over by the power plant and have been going out a few times, but the wind has been pretty bad the last few times I had a chance to go so didn't even go out. glad everything worked out, at least the gear can be replaced.

Walter

Re: Bad day at Lavon - 07/20/15 02:11 AM

I'm gonna try Lavonia tomorrow if nothing comes up. Hopefully I won't have bad day. I'll post results.
Posted By: Desull

Re: Bad day at Lavon - 07/20/15 02:23 AM

Glad you are ok. Last couple of weeks I have launched at Twin Groves. It is well protected from the winds. When I used to Kayak I caught several nice bass up there. Lots of brush, standing timber,and rip rap. Good luck and be careful.

Re: Bad day at Lavon - 07/20/15 02:31 AM

Yes, please do fisherman. Good luck

Re: Bad day at Lavon - 07/20/15 02:33 AM

DeSull I might have to try that spot sometime. I got some fishing gear ordered today, with some rod floaters and some Plano waterproof tackle boxes, if I go over again I won't be loosing too much this time!
Posted By: spazm09

Re: Bad day at Lavon - 07/20/15 06:06 PM

I feel your pain

Re: Bad day at Lavon - 07/21/15 05:39 AM

I went to South Lavonia today had one fish that got off then foul hooked a little LMB other than that nothing. I took the kayak home and went to a spot I bank fish at Lavon and caught a bunch of sandies, a yellow bass, some small LMB, and a catfish all on a slab and crappie jig tandem rig. Salvaged the day so it wasn't a bad day for me at Lavon but it wasn't good in the kayak.

Here's one I caught at the bank spot. I posted in the bank section since I didn't catch anything in the kayak.

Re: Bad day at Lavon - 07/22/15 02:23 AM

Thanks for the report Fisherman. Glad you caught some fish, either way it was a good day for you.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum