Texas Fishing Forum

West Tex where to go

Posted By: craigfish

West Tex where to go - 06/24/15 03:46 PM

Im in Lubbock. We are fishing water poor. We have lots of water right now but minimal decent fishing water. Alan Henry is going to be really really tough for a while. Im looking for somewhere to yak and fish for just about anything. Rivers, streams, lakes, mudholes ANYTHING new. Suggestions?
Posted By: YakinJunkie

Re: West Tex where to go - 06/24/15 10:12 PM

Don't overlook the lakes here in town they are pretty good. Look at lake Mackenzie up by Silverton. This is a good resource.
https://www.facebook.com/TPWDInlandFisheriesTexasHighPlains?fref=ts

Here is another resource.
http://www.westtexaskayakfishing.com/
Posted By: Bluecatkayak

Re: West Tex where to go - 06/25/15 12:36 AM

I second what this guy says!
Posted By: -Clay-

Re: West Tex where to go - 06/25/15 03:49 PM

Just about every canyon lake has a decent fish population. bass, cats, carp, gill, and crappie. I also have it on good authority that white river is fishing really good for everything as well.
Posted By: craigfish

Re: West Tex where to go - 06/26/15 02:07 AM

Thanks guys I heard May Simmons has some fish in it but the I also hesrd they had sn algea kill last year so idk. I guess I just need to hit them and give it a shot. Thanks for your responses guys.

Re: West Tex where to go - 06/26/15 03:51 AM

Originally Posted By: craigfish
Thanks guys I heard May Simmons has some fish in it but the I also hesrd they had sn algea kill last year so idk. I guess I just need to hit them and give it a shot. Thanks for your responses guys.

There's still plenty of fish in it, it's hard to go there and not catch one when the weather isn't horrible
Posted By: trapperben

Re: West Tex where to go - 06/26/15 12:50 PM

Kind of surprised to hear White River might be fishing well. According to the lake date page it got down to .5% capacity last year. Did not think many fish would of survived.

Re: West Tex where to go - 06/26/15 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: trapperben
Kind of surprised to hear White River might be fishing well. According to the lake date page it got down to .5% capacity last year. Did not think many fish would of survived.

It actually sat at 0% capacity, the lake had maybe 150 to 200 surface acres at that time, for a couple months but somehow there were a lot of fish that survived, including walleye that were caught by the tpwd fishery management team in their last electro fishing survey.
Posted By: trapperben

Re: West Tex where to go - 06/27/15 01:17 AM

Thanks. Have you heard any stocking plans for the lake?
Posted By: YakinJunkie

Re: West Tex where to go - 06/27/15 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: trapperben
Thanks. Have you heard any stocking plans for the lake?

I think this is the best resource for stocking lakes up here.
https://www.facebook.com/TPWDInlandFisheriesTexasHighPlains?fref=ts
Posted By: -Clay-

Re: West Tex where to go - 06/29/15 02:01 PM

I caught a few healthy largemouths and a really big white bass out of there right after it went up and I talked to a guy a couple of days ago that had been catching some good largemouth as well.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum