Texas Fishing Forum

Kayak Transducer Mounts

Posted By: AllenKayaker

Kayak Transducer Mounts - 06/08/15 01:41 AM

Hello all,

I was wondering and looking for opinions on the best way to mount a transducer in a kayak. I've seen many ways to do it, but was wondering which would be best without compromising accuracy. Does an in-hull mount make the transducer less accurate? Thoughts?
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Kayak Transducer Mounts - 06/08/15 01:58 AM

A through-hull mount will not degrade your sensitivity. It will take the temperature gauge a little bit longer to read accurately. Unless you like getting tangled up in wires and snagging the transducer, it's the best way to do it unless you use side-scanning sonar.
Posted By: General Jigs

Re: Kayak Transducer Mounts - 06/08/15 01:32 PM

it has been said that downscan technology doesn't show up as clearly through hull as it does on the water. the main concern I have with through hull is potential damage to the ducer if the yak is left outside on a 100 day. the temps inside the hull could reach 130-140 and may damage the ducer. kept in an insulated shed or garage and it may not be an issue.
Posted By: YAKaddict

Re: Kayak Transducer Mounts - 06/09/15 01:41 AM

Mounted mine in the hull and It works great so far
Posted By: BKT

Re: Kayak Transducer Mounts - 06/09/15 06:53 PM

I've have mine several different ways and finally settled on thru hull mounted in duct seal. Of course I only have 2d sonar.
Posted By: pyledriver

Re: Kayak Transducer Mounts - 06/09/15 11:50 PM

Depending on which yak you may be able to use a scupper hole. I did that on my Cuda and it works well!
Posted By: passinthru

Re: Kayak Transducer Mounts - 06/10/15 12:15 AM

Mine is glued down inside, works fine
Posted By: Cigga

Re: Kayak Transducer Mounts - 06/10/15 04:15 AM

Mine is shoot thru hull with downscan and my images is crystal clear. When gluing the transducer to the hull marine goop, you just have to make sure there arent any air bubbles in the goop. Gluing it is real easy. Shoot thru hull wont work for side scanning.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum