Texas Fishing Forum

kayak catfishing

Posted By: spazm09

kayak catfishing - 06/07/15 03:29 PM

Do any of yall ever keep alot of catfish on your kayak? I normally fish for size, not numbers but yesterday I wanted to stock the freezer. Caught about 20 fish that probably totalled around 40-45 lbs. Put them in a big fish basket and where I had difficulty was when head back to where I launched. I can't leave the basket in the water while paddling, the storage area behind the seat didn't have room and when I put them down by my legs/feet I got stabbed several times by catfish fins. Any suggestions?

Re: kayak catfishing - 06/07/15 03:31 PM

P.S. I'll post an actually report of the trip tomorrow with pics
Posted By: JRR

Re: kayak catfishing - 06/07/15 03:48 PM

when I was a kid I went trotlining with a buddy and his dad. each cat they brought in the boat they cut the fins with a pair of wire cutters to keep them from a. stabbing each other, b. from stabbing their hands, legs, etc.....chances are you have a pair of needle nose pliers with cutters on them.
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: kayak catfishing - 06/07/15 03:53 PM

try using stringers tied to front of yak to side handles or cooler them.
Big Red showed me the stringer method. Best to get 2 stringers going so
u have equal drag on both side of yak IMO.

Re: kayak catfishing - 06/07/15 05:28 PM

Thanks for the tips.

Will they stay alive in the basket for 4+ hours without fins?

I guess I just assumed the having a stringer with 20+ fish would slow you down significantly. Does it not?

Re: kayak catfishing - 06/07/15 05:28 PM

Even if it's split up on both sides.
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: kayak catfishing - 06/07/15 07:30 PM

I toss em down by my feet and paddle back to shore standing.
Posted By: bert

Re: kayak catfishing - 06/07/15 08:23 PM

I cut/bust the fins off, cut the gills and put them in the cooler so they are cold and dead when I get ready to clean them.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: kayak catfishing - 06/07/15 09:30 PM

I had a full stringer of about 40# of catfish and I had to paddle back to the launch which was about 1 1/2 miles. I had them on a stringer and paddled over to the bank where I opened the large gator hatch on my Ocean Kayak and I had one of those heavy duty leaf bags.
I put some in my ice chest and about half of them wouldn't fit so I put the rest in the leaf bag and put them into the front hatch.
No problem paddling back but the kayak sat a little lower in the water than usual.
Another thing I do is usually the grocery stores have those soft sided cooler bags that you can put cold items if you can't get home right away. Look for them in the freezer section. I carry a couple of them in my kayak just for that purpose instead of the leaf bag.
Posted By: SlowDown

Re: kayak catfishing - 06/08/15 08:47 PM

Clipping the three spikes off, the one on top and ones on each side, does not affect how long they will live. Clip those things off and save yourself some grief.
Posted By: Racin TCK

Re: kayak catfishing - 06/08/15 08:57 PM

Does anyone target blue catfish? My buddy said they were the best to eat and I'd like to give them a try since I am very picky on what cooked fish I will eat.
Posted By: J.T.69

Re: kayak catfishing - 06/08/15 09:52 PM

Blues are good but I prefer channel cats! Either one are excellent eating if you clean theme properly!
Posted By: HeavyLead

Re: kayak catfishing - 06/08/15 10:45 PM

Yeah, after rolling in corn meal and deep frying them, I really can't tell the difference. I'll never turn my nose up at a channel cat.
Posted By: lambcotx

Re: kayak catfishing - 06/09/15 03:20 AM

Get a tow sack, just put it in the floor when you are ready to paddle. My grandpa has pictures of his dad hauling yellowcats home on top of model t's with a tow sack on them as long as it's wet they will live a long time. Just break the fins off a lil bit.
Posted By: kd8jgu

Re: kayak catfishing - 06/09/15 03:36 AM

I use a Big Game Fish Clip Stringer
And also have a 15ft stringer with a few floats
Neither cause trouble with paddling
Posted By: christian myrick

Re: kayak catfishing - 06/09/15 11:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Racin TCK
Does anyone target blue catfish? My buddy said they were the best to eat and I'd like to give them a try since I am very picky on what cooked fish I will eat.

I target blues most of the time. As far as taste, its ok. I dont eat much if any fish at all so take what you will from that. I do love the first run a big blue does. Great times.
Posted By: Racin TCK

Re: kayak catfishing - 06/09/15 01:37 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I might have to try to catch some while I'm out at Texoma just in case I end up not being a fan, I can always let my friends eat them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum