Texas Fishing Forum

Raymarine dragonfly or Lowrance Elite 4 chirp

Posted By: General Jigs

Raymarine dragonfly or Lowrance Elite 4 chirp - 05/26/15 05:20 AM

so I am in the market for a ff for my yak and i want to know what experience you guys have with either of these units on your kayak or boat. first is raymarine dragonfly 4 pro w/navionics gold; the other is lowrance elite 4 chirp w/navionics.

i previously had a lowrance elite 5 dsi/gps and it was great, however the lack of sonar made it difficult to use when anchored or slow drift.

Up until today I was dead set on the lowrance elite 4 chirp w/navionics until i did some digging into the raymarine dragonfly pro with navionics gold.

i like the raymarine screen orientation on when looking on a pc, but real world i may like the elite 4 vertical orientation more.

I plan to fish 80' or less freshwater only in my kayak so i don't need a deep sounder. i want a wide swath under slow paddle conditions. i wish i could afford a SI model but at this time it is unjustified extra expense.
Posted By: C-Frog

Re: Raymarine dragonfly or Lowrance Elite 4 chirp - 05/26/15 01:40 PM

I am getting the DF5
Posted By: bert

Re: Raymarine dragonfly or Lowrance Elite 4 chirp - 05/26/15 02:25 PM

If you don't want side imaging but want 3d go with the dragonfly or humminbird before the lowrance their 3d is far superior.
Posted By: Matt "Moondog" Mooney

Re: Raymarine dragonfly or Lowrance Elite 4 chirp - 05/26/15 03:36 PM

I would look into the Humminbirds, I got the Helix 5 with DI+GPS and really like it. Doesn't break the bank either.
-Moondog
Posted By: FishFace.007

Re: Raymarine dragonfly or Lowrance Elite 4 chirp - 05/26/15 06:59 PM

C-Frog - I bought a Garmin unit w Side imaging to use on my ATAK.

Just figured out that installing in the pod will eliminate the side imaging since I don't think the transducer sits under the yak but instead within the protected area of the cut away the pod rests in.

Have you ever seen an example of someone extending the mount to get the transducer under the boat an inch or 2. Wonder if I am better off using a transducer arm over the side of the yak?

Re: Raymarine dragonfly or Lowrance Elite 4 chirp - 05/26/15 08:56 PM

Thanks for the comments and input.
I went ahead and bought the lowrance elite 4 chirp/navionics for the following reasons:

1. I have owned an elite 5 dsi/gps so I am familiar with the menu/functions of it
2. Comes with navionics maps
3. Chirp multi-range radar frequency plus Down imaging
3. $50 rebate
4. excellent waterproof rating, full submersion w/no issues

cons:
backordered
DI 3d quality lower than raymarine

The Raymarine dragonfly 4 pro

Pros:
I like the di clarity and precision, as well as the automatic chirp frequencies selected.
built in wifi feed to smartphone/handheld unit

Cons:
large ducer
priced $20 more than the elite ($70 with rebate) and I read that it would not be a good unit to submerge in water, which is an issue on a kayak due to potential flip/turtle.
It appears this unit does best between 3-5 mph which in the yak I have and my fishing style is not going to work for me. I need something that scans well at 1-3mph

the humminbird helix 5

Pros:
larger screen
good Down imaging

Cons:
Factory mapping capability does not utilize topographic contours(deal-breaker)
purchasing navionics or other mapping card puts cost of unit well above elite 4 chirp/nav or dragonfly 4 pro
apparently difficult to dial in DI

Thanks again for the input and I look forward to getting on the water in my yak and new ff once it arrives.

Posted By: cody.sandhoff

Re: Raymarine dragonfly or Lowrance Elite 4 chirp - 05/31/15 02:22 PM

Please post an update once you get it going. Trying to make a similar decision now

Re: Raymarine dragonfly or Lowrance Elite 4 chirp - 06/01/15 12:57 PM

will do cody, I still have not received notification of shipment on the elite 4 unit as they seem to be a backorder item from every retailer. I was told it would be on the way by end of May, so perhaps I will get the shipment info this week.
Posted By: theduke

Re: Raymarine dragonfly or Lowrance Elite 4 chirp - 06/03/15 06:47 PM

Following this thread, post some updates when you get it.

Re: Raymarine dragonfly or Lowrance Elite 4 chirp - 06/04/15 03:20 PM

Just received notification that my FF is in the mail on the way. I hope to get it installed and out on the water by end of June, I have a very full schedule lol. will report my initial thoughts here and compare it to my elite 5 dsi/gps
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum