Texas Fishing Forum

corpus sat with pics and a short cell phone vid

Posted By: christian myrick

corpus sat with pics and a short cell phone vid - 05/03/15 04:06 AM

My girlfriend and I decided to take a drive to corpus to meet up with jim martin (santa cruz kayaks owner/designer) and the master himself glenn (prof salt). We left after work on friday about 6-6:15pm. Made it to p.i.n.s about 3am, drank one beer on the beach then went to sleep. We were woke up by glenn knocking on the.truck window...after mabey 2 hrs of sleep we drive down to a suitable spot to launch. Glenn and jim launched before amanda and I. We were still figuring out what's going on. We start trolling out to the rigs and bam amanda gets a Spanish mak. Then bam she gets a king! By this time jim is tired from his mess of fish and mileage the day before and decides to go in, glenn gets his limit so he also is done. Now we are on our own and decide to hook up some big baits and balloons for shark. Bam my reel starts screaming and I know its a descent shark. After a 45 min fight its a 6'-6.5' blacktip shark. I rig another bait and the reel goes off again. I lock down the drag and it comes off. Another bait....the shark bit through my leader. I twist on my last hook and our last piece of bait...gotta each get one. The reel once again starts screaming. Amanda grabs the rod and the fight is on. This shark is strong. Its taking line at will. Our yaks were tied together and my anchor was deployed and the shark drug us 5 or so miles up the beach. Finally it gets close enough to see. Its a great hammerhead! !! 8+ ft too boot!!! We cut the leader and let it swim free...both sharks. It was a killer day and we cant wait to go back.
Posted By: Yak FinAddic

Re: corpus sat - 05/03/15 10:22 AM

Dude, that sounds like such an awesome trip!
Posted By: CanadiYak

Re: corpus sat - 05/03/15 02:21 PM

awesome trip for sure I believe everything except for "the one beer"
Posted By: KQT

Re: corpus sat - 05/03/15 03:23 PM

You beat me to it Mike. Great trip Catfish J!!!!

Re: corpus sat - 05/03/15 05:46 PM

The one beer...I ment right when we got there. But honestly only mabey had a 6 pack between us. We drove there and back so fast. We got there like 3-3:30 am and left at 6:30 pm. Brutal.

Re: corpus sat - 05/03/15 11:38 PM

Posted By: mickeytfc

Re: corpus sat - 05/04/15 12:48 AM

Great report! Someday I'll have to quit saying I am going down there and actually do it. These reports keep me dreamin'!
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: corpus sat - 05/04/15 02:34 AM

Oh yeah! clap

Re: corpus sat - 05/04/15 02:47 AM

Re: corpus sat - 05/04/15 02:50 AM

Re: corpus sat - 05/04/15 02:52 AM

And my favorite one...
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: corpus sat - 05/04/15 05:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Yak FinAddic
And my favorite one...

roflmao Awesome!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: corpus sat - 05/04/15 11:27 AM

coolphotos Good times. Thanks for sharing. cheers

Re: corpus sat - 05/04/15 12:11 PM

Re: corpus sat - 05/04/15 12:43 PM

Thank you yak fin for posting them pics and video. I owe ya some brews.
Posted By: KQT

Re: corpus sat - 05/04/15 02:16 PM

That was great!
Posted By: a lo109

Re: corpus sat - 05/04/15 02:17 PM

Nice!! That looked like a good time.
Posted By: Kayak_and_Crossbones

Re: corpus sat with pics and a short cell phone vid - 05/04/15 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: christian myrick
My girlfriend and I decided to take a drive to corpus to meet up with jim martin (santa cruz kayaks owner/designer) and the master himself glenn (prof salt). We left after work on friday about 6-6:15pm. Made it to p.i.n.s about 3am, drank one beer on the beach then went to sleep. We were woke up by glenn knocking on the.truck window...after mabey 2 hrs of sleep we drive down to a suitable spot to launch. Glenn and jim launched before amanda and I. We were still figuring out what's going on. We start trolling out to the rigs and bam amanda gets a Spanish mak. Then bam she gets a king! By this time jim is tired from his mess of fish and mileage the day before and decides to go in, glenn gets his limit so he also is done. Now we are on our own and decide to hook up some big baits and balloons for shark. Bam my reel starts screaming and I know its a descent shark. After a 45 min fight its a 6'-6.5' blacktip shark. I rig another bait and the reel goes off again. I lock down the drag and it comes off. Another bait....the shark bit through my leader. I twist on my last hook and our last piece of bait...gotta each get one. The reel once again starts screaming. Amanda grabs the rod and the fight is on. This shark is strong. Its taking line at will. Our yaks were tied together and my anchor was deployed and the shark drug us 5 or so miles up the beach. Finally it gets close enough to see. Its a great hammerhead! !! 8+ ft too boot!!! We cut the leader and let it swim free...both sharks. It was a killer day and we cant wait to go back.

That is the kind of trip that you'll end up telling your grand kids about. Congrats...really glad that the two of you were able to have such an awesome trip.

P.S. You need to pick up some cameras to you can record your adventures! I'd gladly host them on River Ratz Youtube and facebook page!
Posted By: Todd™

Re: corpus sat with pics and a short cell phone vid - 05/04/15 04:54 PM

Those are great times! Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Sharkinator

Re: corpus sat - 05/04/15 06:42 PM

Sounds like a great time Christian. Itching to get down myself. I think the itch just got a bit worse. By the way, nice hat!

Re: corpus sat - 05/04/15 09:26 PM

Thanks Jason. Id like to go with ya if I can.
Posted By: pelican

Re: corpus sat - 05/04/15 10:51 PM

Awesome, Thanks for sharing. Looked like Amanda had her hands full, she'll never forget that I bet.

Re: corpus sat - 05/04/15 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: pelican
Awesome, Thanks for sharing. Looked like Amanda had her hands full, she'll never forget that I bet.

she may not forget it but we are dang sure gonna top that!
Posted By: TTUshane

Re: corpus sat - 05/04/15 11:30 PM

Awesome photos and vid Christian. Love to see the Raptor in action -- such an awesome yak!

Re: corpus sat - 05/04/15 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: TTUshane
Awesome photos and vid Christian. Love to see the Raptor in action -- such an awesome yak!

Thanks. It truly is a great yak. I try hard to make them fail...still waiting.

Re: corpus sat - 05/07/15 04:00 PM

Anyone want to plan a group trip...must be an experienced paddler.
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: corpus sat - 05/07/15 05:09 PM

Cool video rockon

What did the sharks like?
Posted By: Cudadude

Re: corpus sat - 05/08/15 03:34 PM

That’s why we all enjoy hanging out with you brotha, you live life to the fullest. I can’t remember one time that you gave any negative feedback on fishing. I know for a fact if you’re not fishing you’re not happy..lol And how cool is it to find a companion/friend that love it as much as you do..
Posted By: PatchesMark

Re: corpus sat - 05/10/15 06:54 PM

Super COOL Christian !
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum