Texas Fishing Forum

How young is to young?

Posted By: yakfishinnate

How young is to young? - 04/30/15 08:08 PM

My little guy is about to be 6... I have the itch to get him in a yak, a small SOT, on some small private ponds/lakes we have access to. Of course going with complete safety precautions and things of that nature... What would your opinion be on someone being to small to be in a yak?
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: How young is to young? - 04/30/15 08:11 PM

My first thought was to take him out in a tandem kayak so he can just enjoy the ride & get a feel for things. A 6 year old who enjoys the outdoors and has the patience to sit still is probably not too young for that.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: How young is to young? - 04/30/15 08:19 PM

Maybe get him a super small kayak, tie the front of his to the back of yours and pull him until he is big enough to paddle. It'll help him feel like it is HIS kayak, creating that passion at a young age. And you're a dad, of course you're going to make sure the little one is safe. thumb
Posted By: TexasRig

Re: How young is to young? - 04/30/15 08:49 PM

Try to find a way to demo some boats wi him. My son turned 7 in February. My plan was to get a tandem and introduce him to it that way. We went to ACK demo day and he didn't want anything to do with the tandem. He wanted to be on his own so I let him try it out. He really took to it and I ended up getting him a Tarpon 100. He has no problem with it. This past weekend at the lake he was paddling around with his 9 year old cousin sitting in the back hatch area. I bring a rope along just in case he tires out and I need to tow him but he doing great so far.

Session
Posted By: yakfishinnate

Re: How young is to young? - 04/30/15 09:06 PM

I like the tow rope idea. The kid loves to fish, and enjoys every bit of the outdoors. I think we will soon buy him his first kayak.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: How young is to young? - 04/30/15 09:09 PM

It is not so much a age thing as maturity and skills. Does he swim well? Is he fairly independent? While camping with other fathers and sons, I let my 7 year son take my solo canoe out on Lake Grapevine Twin Coves Park by himself and then let him take his friends. Sure enough he flipped it but managed to get it back to shore without my help. He swims like a fish and doesn't complain about being wet or cold. If he asks for his own kayak, I will get him one. Right now, he fishes off the back of a Bass Raider I recently bought. My hope is to have him comfortably driving the Bass Raider later this summer. Ideally, he will drive it up to my Pickup on the boat ramp for me to lift into the bed.
Posted By: RealBigReel

Re: How young is to young? - 04/30/15 09:28 PM

Take him for a demo. Give him a few minutes to acclimate. If he can handle it, you have your answer.
Posted By: HERROUTDOORS

Re: How young is to young? - 04/30/15 10:45 PM

I took my son at 6 and he sat between my legs in my Ride 135. At 8 he wants his own Yak and wants to go every time i go out.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum