Texas Fishing Forum

Fish Finder

Posted By: CenTexSkiff

Fish Finder - 04/15/15 01:43 AM

What is a pretty good fish finder for a kayak/canoe?
Posted By: HandgunHTR

Re: Fish Finder - 04/15/15 03:08 AM

Knowing someone on the "inside", I can tell you that from a hardware standpoint, they are all pretty much the same. So, your options come down to "features", which are controlled mostly by software. Find the one that has the features you like and go with it.

I am partial to Garmin, due to the fact that they have the best GPS capability and that my BIL/best friend works for them.
Posted By: Cigga

Re: Fish Finder - 04/15/15 08:19 AM

If you are planning to mount the transducer inside your hull, do not waste your money on a side scan.
Posted By: reesetigert

Re: Fish Finder - 04/15/15 05:34 PM

Just from personal experience, I'd say the Lowrance Elite 4 HDI. I have that on my FS128T and have the transducer mounted in the hull and love it. It's got downscan, gps and sonar. Works great.
Posted By: Nathan_Fisher

Re: Fish Finder - 04/15/15 11:39 PM

I have lowrance elite 4 hdi and it is awesome

Re: Fish Finder - 04/18/15 03:18 AM

I've done some research and I'm leaning hard to the lowrance elite 4x. I can't find 4x hdi anywhere but looks like it was discontinued and replaced with the elite 4x CHIRP. Would this be somewhat of an upgrade? Its the same price and I don't need the chartplotter, but other than that it looks to be about the same with the chirp and downscan.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Fish Finder - 04/18/15 03:34 AM

Re: Fish Finder - 04/18/15 03:41 AM

Out of stock bro
Posted By: stxhunter

Re: Fish Finder - 04/18/15 03:46 AM

I went with the raymarine dragonfly on mine. I really like the imaging of this unit and setup/display.

Re: Fish Finder - 04/20/15 05:27 PM

Thank you all for your advice and decided to go with the Lowrance Elite 4x CHIRP with downscan. I'm just waiting on my Yakattack transducer arm to come in to mount the transducer but here's a sneak peek of what I rigged up real quick yesterday...

Posted By: Matt "Moondog" Mooney

Re: Fish Finder - 04/21/15 04:17 PM

I just installed a Humminbird Helix 5 DI/ GPS on a cell block on my wilderness ride. Havent gotten it out on the water yet but I have heard good reports on this unit. I m still waiting on the transducer arm before it is completely finished.

Re: Fish Finder - 04/21/15 07:41 PM

That's pretty sweet! I seen the cellblok and almost got it but decided to just make a piece that went across my canoe so I could mount a measuring stick. Being in a canoe I don't think one would work well for me anyways. I am waiting on my transducer arm as well though so maybe I can start getting some fish in the boat pretty soon!

Re: Fish Finder - 04/21/15 09:12 PM

And I just got an email from Yakattack that the transducer arm I ordered is on backorder for about two and a half weeks.
Posted By: Matt "Moondog" Mooney

Re: Fish Finder - 04/21/15 10:00 PM

Thats great to hear, mine is probably in the same boat frown
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum