Texas Fishing Forum

Camping in East Texas Advice

Posted By: Sethmac

Camping in East Texas Advice - 04/12/15 01:05 PM

My wife and I are taking our 3 year old daughter camping in two weeks. Purtis Creek is booked, but we want a nice place to bring her out in our kayaks. I'm looking at Bob Sandlin...anyone been here and have any thoughts (cleanliness, water access, etc..)

Open to other suggestions.
Posted By: SA Mike

Re: Camping in East Texas Advice - 04/12/15 02:01 PM

Bob Sandlin is a nice lake and it's finally full again. The state park is ok. It's been several years since I've been there. If you don't mind going to a smaller lake, Daingerfield State park is really nice.

Re: Camping in East Texas Advice - 04/12/15 04:16 PM

Thanks Mike! Checking out Daingerfield
Posted By: JRNissley

Re: Camping in East Texas Advice - 04/12/15 07:51 PM

Daingerfield is awesome! The SP rangers are great, and the amenities of the park have really been upgraded. The fishing in Daingerfield is good, and the paddle is very relaxing. Tyler SP isn't bad here in East Texas for relaxed paddling either.

Re: Camping in East Texas Advice - 04/12/15 11:35 PM

Any suggestions on sites with nice views/access?
Posted By: Bass Art

Re: Camping in East Texas Advice - 04/12/15 11:48 PM

You're going to find that the really nice places like Tyler and Daingerfield are booked months ahead in the spring and fall.

Bob Sandlin is a clean park. I don't know if you can get a spot there in 2 weeks or not. If it is hot, Sandlin can be stuffy because it has a lot of trees between the camp sites and the water and very little breeze gets through. We've done a lot of camping at Lofers Bend at lake Whitney. It's more open and the views of the lake are good.
Posted By: C-Frog

Re: Camping in East Texas Advice - 04/13/15 12:30 PM

I second Tyler SP
Posted By: Patriot7Six

Re: Camping in East Texas Advice - 04/13/15 05:12 PM

One problem with Tyler SP is water access from the tent camping sites. If you have a camper or rent one of the cabins I believe it is much better but I have always just used a tent and typically have to use the boat launch. Its a good area other than that.
Posted By: Bass Art

Re: Camping in East Texas Advice - 04/13/15 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: C-Frog
I second Tyler SP

The problem is, as I said before, there are no campsites available at Tyler the weekend of the 24th and 25th, or the weekend of the 1st and 2nd of May. There are 4 trailer sites available the first weekend of May. By Thursday, those will be gone. Those are in Big Pine, and they don't allow tents on those sites.
Posted By: KBW

Re: Camping in East Texas Advice - 04/13/15 05:41 PM

I prefer Daingerfield but ya might wanna also try Caddo State Park.
Posted By: RogerB

Re: Camping in East Texas Advice - 04/13/15 06:58 PM

In addition to the above, you may want to check out Lake Naconiche. There are some cabins on/near the lake - not sure about tent camping opportunities. I haven't fished it nor stayed at these cabins but I remember there were some positive reports on both last year. http://www.naconichefarms.com/
Posted By: mjmfc

Re: Camping in East Texas Advice - 04/13/15 11:59 PM

You can put your yaks in near the cabins at Naconiche but won't be able to see them from the cabin if you leave them in the water. That's a nice lake and the likelihood of getting run over by a boat is extremely low.... I love Bob Sandlin State Park. It's my favorite state park that I've stayed at. The lake is great fishing too although I've never been since i started fishing from a kayak. I can guarantee you it will be full of speeding bass boats most weekends in Spring
Posted By: CrappieAddict

Re: Camping in East Texas Advice - 04/14/15 11:57 PM

Watch out for bigfoot.
Posted By: ETRANCH

Re: Camping in East Texas Advice - 04/15/15 03:11 AM

Dangerfield is very nice this time of year. Campsites with lake view and easy access to the water from some sites.

Re: Camping in East Texas Advice - 04/17/15 01:40 AM

Thanks y'all...booked and ready at Daingerfield
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum